Unusual ATIS at SBP!

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Staff member
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2600+ in rotorcraft
It was a beautiful day to fly with a blue cloudless sky.

I checked the weather and the Santa Ana Wind was blowing but not too bad at Santa Maria (SMX) or San Luis Obispo (SBP). It was over my limits at Camarillo (CMA).

I made my way across the fields with the top down imagining I was already airborne.

It was one of our few hot days in Nipomo so I looked forward to cooler skies.

I worked on the ANR fruitlessly for almost two hours until the call of the sky overcame my desire to hear the radio well.

I worked my way through preflight hesitating to put on my flight suit because of the warmth.

She started up at the first touch of the button and seemed eager to leave the ground behind.

I checked ATIS and heard the sound of silence. It was time for it to change so I sat with the engine idling waiting for the new ATIS. After almost five minutes I called groud.

“Santa Maria Ground, Experimental Gyroplane 142 Mike Golf without the weather at Alpha 9, taxi to runway 30.”

“Our ATIS is not working Vance, wind 280 at 11 altimeter 30.16, runway 30 taxi via Alpha.”

Run up went well and I asked for a straight out with a slight right.

We were off quickly and pulling the power back at the half way point.

We had about a 15kt head wind as we worked our way across the valley.

As we crossed the river the wind began shifting around

At the water tower I checked the ATIS at San Luis Obispo (SBP).

“Wind 010 degrees 11kts gusting to 23kts, winds variable from 310 degrees to 050 degrees. Landing and departing runway 29.”

I checked SMX ATIS and it was out of service so back to SBP ATIS.

I listened to SBP ATIS three times before I called ATC for inbound from the South West through the Avilla Pass.

This is over my gust spread but well below my wind limit so I decided to give it a try.

As I listened to SBP tower a nervous sounding student in a Cessna went around several times sounding more panicked each time.

Our descent to 500 feet at Pismo Beach was a little bumpy and I had more trouble than usual maintaining altitude as I passed the hills near Shell Beach.

The ocean air felt great and the ocean appeared unusually blue and calm. There was not a whitecap in sight.

We started rocking and rolling as we entered the Avilla pass and climbed a little to get out of the turbulence.

The climb didn’t work but it kept us further from hitting something with our somewhat divergent flight path.

I called the tower inbound on the 45 and was to report established on the downwind.

There were five aircraft in the pattern and three had gone around, one had gone around three times.

The nervous student was still in the pattern and I had lost count of he go arounds.

I was to extend my downwind and she would call my base.

I put my camera away and watched the show.

Most of the high wing planes were steady until they crossed the threshold and then they would dip noticeably and their wings would rock. They were not maintaining the centerline and things would get ugly as they passed the tower. Three were successful as I watched the student went around again.

A piper seemed to have more trouble at the end. He was well off the centerline and seemed to float midfield. He touched down on the last third of the 6,100 foot runway.

She called my base and told me to head straight to the numbers.

As we crossed the threshold at 60kts I saw the indicated air speed drop to 40 and then jump to 70.

We lost around 70 feet of altitude and gained most of it back.

The wind sock was twitching through around 80 degrees.

She touched down as nice as could be at taxi way Foxtrot with a slight left twist but she resisted my efforts to keep the disk flat.

I suspect I was just lucky.

I was glad to be flying a gyroplane.

The student landed long as I was securing the rotor and fitting the gust lock. He taxied all the way to the end of the runway.

The hangar flying on the patio was more boisterous than usual and the time passed quickly. We graded each landing with few getting more than a 7.

I was number three for takeoff and it was interesting to watch the different techniques for managing the unruly wind.

The Predator was off quickly climbing out in an unsteady way as we made our left downwind departure to the east.

We rocked and rolled all the way to the water tower and ATIS was still not working at SMX.

ATC gave me a wind check at 250 degrees at 8kts gusting to 18kts and gave me my choice of runways.

I picked runway 30 and when I reported mid field downwind for 30 each of the four wind socks I could see pointed in a different direction and was twitching around a lot.

On short final I hit the stops on the rudder and she couldn’t make up her mind which way she wanted to turn.

She planted herself nicely and I taxied to parking.

I almost went up to practice some stop and gos because I was having so much fun but thinking about the recent gyroplane accidents caused me to put her away.

3031 Juliet was moaning and banging as though she was trying to tell me something as I worked through my post flight check list. I left before I was able to get the message.

I find gusts a bigger challenge than a steady wind and the challenge is compounded with large sudden shifts in wind direction.

Thank you, Vance

Attachments

• Unusual ATIS at SBP!
    1.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 0
  • Unusual ATIS at SBP!
    2.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Unusual ATIS at SBP!
    3.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Unusual ATIS at SBP!
    4.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Unusual ATIS at SBP!
    5.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Unusual ATIS at SBP!
    6.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Unusual ATIS at SBP!
    7.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Unusual ATIS at SBP!
    8.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 0
Can I come along for the ride?

Can I come along for the ride?

Hi Vance. Thanks for the ride description and photos. I like to fly along with you on Google Earth where I can almost get the same view you get. Lots of fun!!

Attachments

• Unusual ATIS at SBP!
    SBP Runway 29.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Unusual ATIS at SBP!
    SMX Runway 30.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 0
  • Unusual ATIS at SBP!
    Snell Beach.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 0
Big winds at PRB.

Big winds at PRB.

I am glad to have you along Jerry.

I probably should have just turned around but I had never heard an ATIS like that and I wanted to experience it.

Google earth is an amazing toy.

I use it when I am planning a new cross country to fine way points that are easy to identify from the air.

It also gives me the layout of the smaller airports for my radio call sheets.

The towered airports usually have a PDF file that shows the taxiways but for the smaller uncontrolled airports Google can be useful. It also helps me to plan my entrance to the pattern at a strange airport.

I wish I had a better way to share the sights and feel of the flight. I do not have the words to describe the incredible beauty or the magical feelings of becoming a part of that beauty.

I hope to fly to Camarillo this morning and spend the night in Santa Paula for open hangar day on Sunday.

Everything along the way is clear and calm but Lompoc (LPC) and Santa Ynez (IZA) which are over cast 100 feet and 200 feet respectively.

The only scary weather at 4:00 local time is at Paso Robles (PRB). The wind is 100 degrees at 4kts gusting to 51kts. Yikes! Fortunately that is well off my route. I cannot imagine landing or taking off with that kind of a gust spread.

I will continue to watch and hope to be wheels up by 10:00 local time. Hopefully the winds at PRB will remain a local phenomenon.

The parts didn’t come for my ANR head set so radio communication will be a little challenging.

Thank you, Vance

Attachments

• Unusual ATIS at SBP!
    11.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Unusual ATIS at SBP!
    10.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 0
  • Unusual ATIS at SBP!
    9.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I recall an old 60's or very early 70's song (Allman Bros?) that had a line in it:

"Just call me Mr. Breeze...Call me the Breeze"

Well, Mr. Beese, your name seems to suit you just fine.

What were you flying before you purchased the Predator?

Seems like many high-time gyro pilots agree with you, love to fly in crazy winds.

Funny, I hadn't flown a lick from April until last month. First time up was a bit edgy for me, every little lift and drop, every little puff from the side made me anxious.

Two more 30 minute flights and I was right back where I had been last spring with my confidence.

Sounds like you got a little bit of non-convective wind-shear there on final Vance. Glad it all worked out okay.
Randy

The Predator is the first aircraft I soloed.

The Predator is the first aircraft I soloed.

I recall an old 60's or very early 70's song (Allman Bros?) that had a line in it:

Seems like many high-time gyro pilots agree with you, love to fly in crazy winds.

Funny, I hadn't flown a lick from April until last month. First time up was a bit edgy for me, every little lift and drop, every little puff from the side made me anxious.

Two more 30 minute flights and I was right back where I had been last spring with my confidence.

Hello Greg,

The Predator is the first aircraft I soloed in.

I don’t like to fly in wild winds but if I want to fly on the coast of California winds are a part of it. I was going to head back to Santa Maria but ATC said it was just as bad there. The gusting winds can come up quite suddenly and on my longer cross country trips there is no telling what the winds will do. Today flying to Santa Paula there was not a bump in the sky and I flew through the Gaviota Pass that is famous for its winds. Three weather systems come together in the pass.

I have not tipped her over yet.

I have trouble with overconfidence too.

Thank you, Vance

"Just call me Mr. Breeze...Call me the Breeze"

Well, Mr. Beese, your name seems to suit you just fine.

That's the way it's supposed to be !....

Lynyrd Skynyrd-Call Me The Breeze-1976 - YouTube