Robinson R44 down in Panama

rfonseca

Aircraft
Alouette III Helicopter; Dominator Gyro;
Total Flight Time
700+
A Robinson 44 helicopter when down in Panama killing its pilot and two passengers. Witness said that they saw the machine doing a turn and exploting in the air at around 800' over terrain. One passenger tried to save himself jumping out of the helicopter before the impact but was killed by the fall. The other two burned at the crash site.

As helicopters seldom "explote in the air" -at lest I have not heard anyone doing it-, would someone could enlight me on how this could happen? It was flying back from the jungle and because of the flying time it must have had the fuel tanks quite low in gas. My mechanic told me that maybe they were carrying extra fuel, and as in the Robinsons there is no cargo space, it must have been in the cabin, in the extra seat or below the seats. Maybe someone was smoking??

Consider the possibility of mast bumping. A recent mast bump accident with an R22 happen near Piru, California at the begining of this month. I will hear more about it tomorrow at my EAA Chapter 40 meeting.

Wayne

I wonder if it was a literal explosion (as in fire and fuel) or did the helicopter disintigrate in the air?

Some of the rotor incursions into tailbooms and cockpits of Robinsons have been wrongly described as "exploding in the air" when it was actually just the pieces flying apart from the rotor impact.

If one of the passengers jumped out it makes you think there was a fire in the cabin. Leaking fuel containers in the back seat could seep fuel down into the engine compartment maybe.

Sad situation , whatever the cause. Keep us updated Ramon.

Thanks
Arnie

A new development is that appears to be that it was the pilot, the person that fell out of the helico before it hit the ground. He was a very experienced American with over 15,000+ TT in all kind of aircraft. He was the commercial pilot of a wealthy panamanian family and flew their jets, king airs, caravans and helicos. He lived in Panama for many many years, and he was a member of my ultralight club flying a Quicksilver when I joined around 10 years ago. We became good friends. He always told me that flying jets was like managing instruments, and that his real flying was in the Quicksilver. Appears to be that the two passangers that stayed in the helico where alive at the impact scene and people saw them moving while being consumed by the flames. As you all know, a helico free falling needs to be halted at the end of an autorotation to avoid a strong impact to the ground. About mast bumping, I do not think that an experience pilot would do so, but, you never know the circumstances. Witness say they saw flames when the helico exploted in the air.

Last edited:
For the people in the other thread discussing about the safety of gyros, this will show that its not only gyros that fell from the air. Actually, I am suscribed to Aviation Safety and you will not believe the amount of Robinsons Bells, etc.. in accidents of all types.

Have Some Respect!

Have Some Respect!

With respect, it appears that the pilot was ejected from, or fell from, the R44.
This professional pilot would never have abandoned his passengers to certain death, nor to have doomed himself to the same fate, by jumping from the R44.

The R44 would have provided a degree of protection from a hard landing, more so if a run on landing were carried out.

It is disgusting that you name the pilot, then speculate that he abandoned his aircraft and passengers to certain death, in order to save himself!

I request that you remove your utterly baseless statements, which are an affront to a dead pilot whom is unable to defend himself.

You should be ashamed of yourself!

Last edited:
Get Off Your High Horse!

Get Off Your High Horse!

With respect, it appears that the pilot was ejected from, or fell from, the R44.
This professional pilot would never have abandoned his passengers to certain death, nor to have doomed himself to the same fate, by jumping from the R44.

The R44 would have provided a degree of protection from a hard landing, more so if a run on landing were carried out.

It is disgusting that you name the pilot, then speculate that he abandoned his aircraft and passengers to certain death, in order to save himself!

I request that you remove your utterly baseless statements, which are an affront to a dead pilot whom is unable to defend himself.

You should be ashamed of yourself!

ALL OF THAT WAS IN THE LOCAL PAPERS as analysis at the scene by the authorities. You really are full of yourself and very condemning and judgemental. Lighten up. :party:

I am sorry, Heli Cal, that my comments had caused you distress. We are in this forum to get the truth, whatever it is. First, I agree with you. In my posting I reached the conclusion that the pilot jumped. I may had been wrong and he was expelled. I was just repeting the version given in the newspapers. But maybe he jumped because the helico had already lost all control or because he was burning. But, again, I agree with you and should not have reached such conclusions without considering others. Moreover, I agree that such a professional pilot would not by any chance have jumped out of an helico with two people on board if there was the slightless chance of saving them. I never said or suggested that. Finally, I edited my post along your wishes.