purchase -- sparrowhawk or raf

brian_vancouver

Total Flight Time
1450 fixed wing
seeking a sparrowhawk or raf 2000 aircraft -- EITHER partially complete project or repair/overhaul project for purchase. ...i would love a polished flying machine, but more realistically must find a partial ready project in order to save cost. i,m a serious buyer seeking a serious seller.

your U.S. / Canada location is not an issue as i will travel to inspect and purchase,

thank you,

brian

vancouver, canada

Since RAF parts and kits will be coming from overseas now I think the Sparrowhawk would be a better option between the two. The gyro Heather posted a link to is ready to fly. No assembly required.

Brian

There are still quite a few RAFs that haven't been finished around. You can get one and do the AAI mod much cheaper than the SH.

If you pm me I will help. Personally I have flown in the SH and the AAI mod RAF and for me my mod flies better. You can contact Larry Boyer, Gyropilot 007, or me. We have done a similar mod on our RAFs and it is less expensive and very stable. I know that I will probably be crucified for my statement but I invite anyone to come and fly my gyro to prove me wrong.

If cost comfort and stability are your concerns then your options are many. Would I fly an unmoded RAF. No. Would I fly a RAF with just a H/S. Maybe. I do like my mod tho. It flies like a FW.

Last edited:
Brian,

I have owned both the modified RAF with carb 2.2 and the SparrowHawk. There is truly much more room in the SparrowHawk and much more power. We could train up to 300 lb. pilot in the SparrowHawk but didn't have the room or power in the modified RAF for someone much over 200lbs.

Ask Larry Banks about using his 2.2 109 hp modified RAF for training.

If you don't need the room and can get a fuel injected RAF than go for it with the mod kit. I would be glad to get one for you.

Brian, There are a few kits out there where the builders give up for one reason or another. Some are a nightmare waiting to happen, some have been started nicely. When I was looking to purchase I posted a want ad on Barnstormers.com and was surprised how many came forward for sale and was such a novice that I thought they were all good. I purchased two started RAF kits and after many measurements and research I found both to have critical mistakes and I had to start from scratch again to make them work. I am sure that once the smoke clears I would have been financially better off buying new kits.

There are a few completed RAF and S/H out there that have been supervised and some even tested by qualified AI’s and master builders with experience that can be purchased for cents on the dollar spent. There is a RAF with the AAI mod in Buckeye that the owner has decided he is just not cut out to be a pilot and is selling reasonably although he has 15-20K in the radios and panel alone. Will make someone a nice aircraft, been supervised and is done right.

Looking back on my trials and tribulations and all I have leaned in the process of my build I would seriously look at a quality built machine that I know has been supervised by someone qualified and I would take it apart to inspect and rebuild with someone knowledgeable looking over my shoulder. The build part is essential to making sure I or you know how our machines are built with its strengths and its potential problems as well as issues to watch and keep an eye on. Seems every time I have assembled mine and taken it apart I learn something new which is good.

Your goal, “I would love a polished flying machine, but more realistically must find a partial ready project in order to save cost.” Is a nice idea, but my guess is it won’t save you cost and if it does will it be safe with you really understanding your machine enough to do the maintenance and identifying potential issues? Cost is an issue that is overcome with a second job or the death of a rich relative and should not be used in building something that ultimately will take you to your dream and has the potential to end all your dreams. Not a good gamble in my estimation, but it is your dream.

I rambled on and should have just said, Enjoy your build and I wish you many happy flights in you upcoming gyro. That S/H 2 looks pretty nice and might even save you some money in the long run over a partial kit or rebuild. Best of luck to you.

RAF2000 modified w/ Sparrowhawk kit

RAF2000 modified w/ Sparrowhawk kit

Brian,
I am selling my Sparrowhawk modified RAF(in classified section). It flies great with the 2.2 (130hp) and carb, but I hear it doesn't climb as fast as the Sparrowhawks with the 2.5 fi. It doesn't have the cam mod so that might be a way to get more hp if it is needed.

Attachments

• spsides.jpg
    spsides.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 0
Brian

Building an aircraft isn't rocket science but when you build or finish someone elses project you will have to go back to the beginning. A quarter inch off here or there WILL cause problems when you try to fly your new gyro. I agree that in order to get the repairman certificate you will need to be an expert in every area of your build. The more you build it the better you will be.

There is such a thing as pride of craftmanship that will creep in even tho mistakes have been made. The old carpenter statement measure twice cut once can not be over emphasized here. I measure many times before I cut. I have thrown many pieces away and ordered new just because it was a sixteenth off.

Aviation is an exact science where the degrees of AOA, the location ofCG, COM, drag, pressure points have to be where they have to be. If not you will be in an unstabile craft and dangerous to yourself and others. Hey I'm not trying to scare you off just warn you to be careful and know what you are getting yourself into. Building an aircraft is in itself very rewarding when it all comes together and flies great. Good Luck.

Last edited:
Thom: The "old carpenter" statement...measure twice..and cut once.......you got to be referring to me....:lol:

I always had a problem with ...."I cut it three times and its STILL too short!"

Stan