NJ 4.8 magnitude earthquake

Yeah, I felt it. About 30 seconds of rumbling and vibration here in NYC. Interesting, but nothing to get excited about, IMO.
The city sent out an emergency alert about 40 minutes after the fact.
"Zach Iscol, the city’s emergency management commissioner, defended the administration’s response at a news conference on Friday, arguing that officials needed time to confirm that the shaking was an earthquake and to put out the proper guidance before sending the alert."
I really just did not know what to do till I got some "proper guidance" from our officials.

It would have gone unnoticed and uncommented upon in California, where people expect their home theatre sound system to generate at least 5.2.

"Is it earthquake or is it Memorex?"

memorex.jpg

I live in NJ North of the epicenter. Sadly I did not feel the quake or the aftershock but nearby towns apparently did. I feel cheated! Still need Locusts and Brimstone for the Bingo.

Sorry, Jim, didn't notice this one.

Here in VT, we've had a couple quakes that were locally stronger than this last episode, though.

I used to work in a rather limber steel-frame building downtown. The 2011 quake (that damaged the Washington Monument) got our rubbery building swaying pretty sickeningly. In the one before that, I was home and the walls were shifting about like flats in a stage set.

Terra firma just ain't.