New Aluminum Windows

Cobra Doc said:
what else do you need? Oops, almost forgot the towel!!! Ofcourse it doesn't hurt to also have a pair of Jujantra Peril Sensitive Sunglasses..

You completely forgot peanuts and a babel fish!

"Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy" - I got to rent that movie. Maybe this weekend...

Sure is funny how these threads can get away from what they start out to be?!?!?! :rolleyes: ;)

What do you mean this thread got away? We are talking about advanced technology and where the ideas came from. Kind of a chicken and egg scenario.

(Rent it, don't buy it unless you like it after you see it. I think my wife wasted $14.95 minus her Wally World discount.)

The Navy seems the most interested in James Bond gadgets, since I was Army I don't have an answer. ;)

Paul, I have that problem with a lot movies and TV shows. At least "James Bond" doesn't take itself too seriously and sticks to "it's plausible, sort of."

McGuyver was probably worst at taking things to the absurd. Most of what they did on that show simply wouldn't work the way they did it.

The best books and shows are the ones that have a basis. I about died laughing watching "The Green Berets" a couple of weeks ago. I had never before noticed one scene with the river and sunset in the backgound and the entire squad crests the hill standing up, does a little hop to check left then a hop to check right then charges forward. These guys were supposed to be Special Forces? Spectacular Farces, maybe.

To stear this thread sort of back on track, the experimenting I've been doing lately with composites is proving interesting. I've worken enough with carbon fiber to know it doesn't fit what I'm doing. It's difficult to work with, not flexible and it shatters. Even in a flexible bonding agent the threads and mat breaks. Fiber glass has been around forever and everyone knows its limitations. Considering the strength to weight ratio, kevlar isn't really very expensive. Kevlar costs more than three times what glass does, but it takes less than one third the amount of kevlar to exceed fiberglass, at least for what I'm doing. The kevlar fibers also don't break down like glass or graphite under flexing or vibration. Balistic nylon is also interesting stuff when combined with some of the new epoxies and other bonding agents. I still need to work more with nylon to find it's limits. So far it looks like a nylon/kevlar mix would be perfect in a flexing or high vibration application. Graphite does make a good stiffening agent when you need a part to be stiff in flat area but flexible in round area. Just put the graphite where you need stiffness.

Cobra Doc said:
As long as you have your paperclip, rubberband and nuclear accelerator, what else do you need? Oops, almost forgot the towel!!!

I lost mine after a few too many Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters. :eek:

Paul_in_Ohio said:
"Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy" - I got to rent that movie. Maybe this weekend...

Sure is funny how these threads can get away from what they start out to be?!?!?! :rolleyes: ;)

Don't waste your time, the movie stunk!

There was a funny part in that movie, it's in the credits. I think it may be the Key Grip's name, or maybe it was the caterer. I don't remember.