Irene the Gyro

okikuma

On page 105 of EAA Sport Pilot magazine Feb 2024 issue under the title of Minnesota Custom Gyro, Jeff "Hogmann" Braunhaug has submitted a photo and description of designing and building his one off gyroplane.

The airframe of the Irene the Gyro appears to be an aluminum bolt together "V" keel airframe. Powered by a 142 hp Yamaha RX-1 engine with a Rotax E-box, spinning a Powerfin prop. A Gyro-Tech rotor head with carbon-composite rotor blades from Rotor of Poland. The empennage is from Tango Gyro.

Jeff has set up an Irene the Gyro Facebook page to show in detail the build of his gyroplane.

Wayne

Irene the gyro 2.jpgIrene the Gyro.jpg
Irene the Gyro 1.jpg
Irene the Gyro Airframe.jpg

Last edited:
Reminds me a little of the Brazilian Hummingbird, but without the bigger nose pod

It'll be more reclined in flight.

All,
That's my build. I have the magazine in my reading stash and just haven't gotten to it yet.

Wayne, I work out of Van Nuys Tanker Base flying the CH-47 for Los Angeles County fire at night and regularly fly over Santa Clarita heading to Castaic Lake for recurrency and NVG training. I work a 12/12 schedule and fly back and forth to my home in Minnesota. Henry Gyro Life also lives by you.

Feel free to look at my 5 year build progress on FB under "Irene the Gyro" as everything is documented there.
I will begin Phase1 this coming spring slowly working Irene forward into flight testing, baby steps. Crawl, Walk, Run as we say.
Cheers,
Jeff Brenhaug

Last edited:
All,
That's my build. I have the magazine in my reading stash and just haven't gotten to it yet.

Wayne, I work out of Van Nuys Tanker Base flying the CH-47 for Los Angeles County fire at night and regularly fly over Santa Clarita heading to Castaic Lake for recurrency and NVG training. I work a 12/12 schedule and fly back and forth to my home in Minnesota. Henry Gyro Life also lives by you.

Feel free to look at my 5 year build progress on FB under "Irene the Gyro" as everything is documented there.
I will begin Phase1 this coming spring slowly working Irene forward into flight testing, baby steps. Crawl, Walk, Run as we say.
Cheers,
Jeff Brenhaug
Hello Jeff,

Thank you for the updates. I did view your FB page extensively after I read your submission to Sport Pilot; very nicely presented.

Let me know when you are in town working and we can meet up for lunch.

BTW, was that you in the 47 last evening at around 2145 local flying over Santa Clarita, heading back to VNY?

Wayne

Hello Jeff,

Thank you for the updates. I did view your FB page extensively after I read your submission to Sport Pilot; very nicely presented.

Let me know when you are in town working and we can meet up for lunch.

BTW, was that you in the 47 last evening at around 2145 local flying over Santa Clarita, heading back to VNY?

Wayne
Wayne,
Thank you for the kind words, I documented all on "Irene the Gyro" FB page so I had the option of deleting and blocking any unnecessary negativity and non constructive comments.
I'm home at the moment and will be heading back in tomorrow the 13th. I'll be in Camarillo for a few days covering and then back over to Van Nuys.
As Jim and I wait for the winter to release it's grip so we can start our Phase1 I've started another project here in my shop, not gyro related, and can be viewed on FB under "BD-5J Build Page"
Cheers

Last edited: