Info on Gas Gauge and Sending Unit

Ernie

I'm going to order a spun aluminum gas tank. I'd like to get a sending unit and gas gauge. I hope they're easy enough to install. I have no idea what or where to get one. There are tons of them on the internet, but I don't want to buy just anything. I'm looking for accuracy and quality in the product. Are there any certain brand names or types to buy? Would like to get any advice or recommendations.

Thanks,
Ernie

Not sure of your time frame. But PRA has a fuel-flow totalizer Ed Kit coming out at the end of June when the S.D.S.U. students must be done to graduate. If you want accuracy it tells you how much you are burning per hour and exactly how much you have left onboard and the time you have left at the current fuel burn.
This first version we used a current certified RedCube sensor expensive at $200.00 but the kit will cost less than 1/2 of anything on the market today.
Next year we are asking them to create our own sensor and the price will drop by at least $150 LESS by June 2021.

Attachments

• Red_Cube_Overview_524.jpg
    Red_Cube_Overview_524.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I'm going to order a spun aluminum gas tank. I'd like to get a sending unit and gas gauge. I hope they're easy enough to install. I have no idea what or where to get one. There are tons of them on the internet, but I don't want to buy just anything. I'm looking for accuracy and quality in the product. Are there any certain brand names or types to buy? Would like to get any advice or recommendations.

Thanks,
Ernie
Without knowing the shape of the tank start here. http://www.wemausa.com/sensors/level-FuelWater.shtml#.XnvNXGlOmyU

These come in various lengths and can be attached to a flat surface. Used alot in boat fuel tanks. You can drill and tap the tank if thick enough or use an underring mount.

Bobby

Bobby

Ernie, what make and model is it for?
PRA has a replacement aluminum tank Ed kit with baffles.

We would like to create others.
When you create your's if you would like to help the community out and send PRA the drawings we would consider making it an Ed kit too.

If the shape is irregular like an RAF below you will need a programable fuel gauge or fuel flow totalizer!
You program them by pouring in a 1/4, or 1/2, or 1 gal at a time. depending on where the curves/shape changes, telling the gauge how much fuel is left in reality with each pour.
Do not remember the model but they have been using them in seat tanks for years. But most just use a site tube.
This is a prototype with student welds. But the odd shape would mean few car tank fuel gauges would report accurately over the entire tanks shape.

IMG_3780.jpg
IMG_3710.jpgIMG_3720.jpg

For odd-shaped tanks here is one that does for points.
The gauge can be calibrated at empty, full, and two other points ensuring accurate readings even with odd shaped gas tanks.

Of course, with yanking and banking there's a whole lot of sloshing going on!

Most of the people who make spun aluminum gas tanks have an option for a sending unit and fuel gage. Every company I Goggled did.

They generally have an adjustment for full and another one for empty.

Ideally it is a reasonable estimate of fuel on board. In my experience they often go out of calibration.

Based on my experience I don’t trust the accuracy of a fuel gage on a gyroplane and always dip the tanks and estimate flight time as part of my preflight.

Running out of gas in the air has greater consequences than running out of gas on the road.

In my opinion based on my experience; people that feel an emergency landing in a gyroplane is a non-event are simply wrong.

Last edited:
If the shape is irregular like an RAF below you will need a programable fuel gauge or fuel flow totalizer!

It's important to note that a fuel totalizer, no matter how accurate, cannot replace the function of a fuel gauge. If you were ever to have a leak in a fuel line or the tank, only a gauge will allow you to detect it.

I have a Powered Parachute. The reason I'm asking questions on this site is because it has SOOOO much information. I really am a big fan of you guys... and gals. I have a Rotax 503 Duel Carbs on a Phoenix Aero. The website I've been looking at is shop.spunaluminumgastanks.com The pictures I'm sending is the Fuel Tank I'm getting and the WEMA fuel gauge and a unnamed sending unit. Do you know if this type of unit is any good? I really appreciate any and all answers.

Thank you

Attachments

• TANK.jpg
    TANK.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 9
  • WEMA.jpg
    WEMA.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 9
I use a similar set up on The Predator that first flew in 1999 Ernie.

I have two tanks and it is a reasonable representation of what is in the tanks.

One of the senders has developed trouble in the adjuster and needs to be replaced.

I always dip my tanks and calculate how long a mission I can fly before each flight.

I use a wooden dowel that is marked to dip the tanks.

I use two of the same tanks and it is important that you adjust the fuel gage and mark the dip stick for the attitude it typically flies. You may have as much as two gallons unusable because of the angle of the tank.

Most manufactures offer a sump kit and I recommend that to better deal with the sloshing

Attachments

• 08.JPG
    08.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 0
See my earlier reply re WEMA. I've used these for years and they are great. The sensor consists of a closed tube with an array of reed switches and float is a magnetic donut. Nothing to adjust but as mentioned earlier don't totally rely on the gauge!

THANK YOU to EVERYONE!! I really appreciate all of the info. The dowel rod is a great idea. I also have a little white timer that is attached. It's one that lets you know how long you've been flying or you can set it for, lets say 60 min and it counts backwards. Thanks again. I really appreciate it

Ernie

The second part of estimating how long you can fly is estimating time of arrival.

Even a small head wind can dramatically retard the progress of a slow aircraft.

It is important to be aware as soon as possible that plan A isn’t going to work out and figure out plan B so you have the most options.

With a twenty five knot cruising speed a thirteen knot head haves you range and flying down wind doubles it. If you find out early enough you are not going to make it you may turn down wind and double your range.

In other words if I have a thirteen knot wind from the south and an hour worth of fuel I can fly thirteen nautical miles south or thirteen eight nautical miles north.

I feel this is an important part of your flight planning.