Helmet / com recommendations?

jakalope

I can be long winded, so I'll just get to the point here. I'm looking for a good helmet / com. I have a Tango2 gyro. I'm looking for better sound quality, ear protection and comfort. My crappy old headset that fits under the helmet just doesn't cut it in the high noise environment. Also, I don't have a huge budget for a helmet. I'm thinking 500.00 ish.

The Comtronics Ultra Pro 2000 looks like it might just fit the bill, as you can cinch the headset down tight using the chin strap.

I've also been seeing a lot of the Gentex SPH-5 helmets that look fantastic, going for about 500 used (but good condition) on ebay.

Something like this... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gentex-SPH-...4AAOSwGW9atsju

Looks like good coverage on the ears. Some civilian and some may be set up military, but I can get the conversion Low to high Impedance and connector to GA plugs (or ask before I buy) so that should not be an issue.

I see the Flycom and MicroAvionics are options too, but for the $ the Gentex seem to be pretty nice.

Bottom line is that I just don't want to make an investment in a helmet, then another, and another until I find one that works, when others have already done some testing. So, I'm wondering what you are using to get good clear communication and comfort. Has anyone tried either one of these helmets?

The Gentex keeps grabbing my eye. If anyone has any experience with these or other helmets, I would appreciate input you may have.

My radio is a Flightline 760A.

Thanks in advance,

John

Not sure how easy it is to replicate but I have a Comtronics Pro Comm helmet and an older David Clark H10-40 with the retrofit ANR kit and really like it when flying a Magni. The ANR is really effective and, at $160, a reasonable option to add to many DC headsets. I use rechargeable 9v Li batteries in the ANR, incidentally.

/Ed

Last edited:
EdL

Thanks! I was wondering about the ANR in the open cockpit. I've read mixed things about how effective it is in a gyro. Good to know that it works in that situation. I'll definitely consider that option.

I too have fought this issue for Y E A R S .
I was soo tired of not being able to have a normal conversation with my passenger or able to talk to the Unicom or another radio. Last year before Benson Days, I spoke with Abid and ordered a pair of Flycom helmets and an Intercom and appropriate patch cords. I picked up a used Icom A6 radio. I so wish I had done that years ago. I am soo impressed with how quiet the system is. For four years I fought with a Comtronics intercom and a pair of helmets, and a great deal of outside noise.
Yes, they are a bit pricey. but well worth it.

After doing more homework, I'm really thinking about just ordering the Flycom helmets, intercom and dual PTT. It's more $ now, but if it can make communications and background noise acceptable, I'll gladly cough up the cash. I believe I can just use an adapter to connect the intercom it to my Flightline 760A. Then hook up PTT and an extension to the rear passenger and good to go...

Oh, and a noise filter on the power to the radio, currently w/o one. Please let me know If I'm missing something.

Thanks!

You will need to specify which radio you are using when you order the "patchcord". The patchcord has the appropriate pinout wiring for your radio and the power and ground.