Helicycle with pusher engine

GyroCFI

Aircraft
Snobird Tandem Adventurer
Total Flight Time
I seem to recall back when the helicycle was first being introduced that there was an option for a pusher engine or a couple of pusher engines on pods next to the cabin. What ever happened to that, was there ever any flight testing ? Did it provide the gains that BJ thought it would?

Just curious.

I remember seeing that concept as well and thought to myself what a stupid idea it was. I wrote the helicycle off at that point and then Doug S came along after BJ landed on the traditional design and perfected the machine for him. Now I own one. Funny how things can change.

Well, it did fly! You have to hand it to BJ. He was a smart guy and a humble one also. I'm glad the turbine worked, though. That screaming two-stroke is horribly annoying, even without the two extra engines. I would not own the Helicycle without a turbine unless a 4stroke could be made to work or a very reliable and fairly quiet DI 2-stroke.

1995 in Oshkosh it had the wings & extra engines mounted but I didn't see it fly, But did see a ground run of it. yes the turbine's a lot better.

Those were my thoughts exactly when I was watching that, if the Helicycle had only been offered with a 2 cycle engine, I wouldn't have one right now.