Helicycle with pusher engine

GyroCFI

Aircraft
Snobird Tandem Adventurer
Total Flight Time
I seem to recall back when the helicycle was first being introduced that there was an option for a pusher engine or a couple of pusher engines on pods next to the cabin. What ever happened to that, was there ever any flight testing ? Did it provide the gains that BJ thought it would?

Just curious.

baronpilot

Aircraft
Baron B55, Bonanza V35, Brantly B2B
Total Flight Time
I remember seeing that concept as well and thought to myself what a stupid idea it was. I wrote the helicycle off at that point and then Doug S came along after BJ landed on the traditional design and perfected the machine for him. Now I own one. Funny how things can change.

baronpilot

Aircraft
Baron B55, Bonanza V35, Brantly B2B
Total Flight Time
Well, it did fly! You have to hand it to BJ. He was a smart guy and a humble one also. I'm glad the turbine worked, though. That screaming two-stroke is horribly annoying, even without the two extra engines. I would not own the Helicycle without a turbine unless a 4stroke could be made to work or a very reliable and fairly quiet DI 2-stroke.

hillberg

1995 in Oshkosh it had the wings & extra engines mounted but I didn't see it fly, But did see a ground run of it. yes the turbine's a lot better.

ylf

Aircraft
T-Bird2 / Helicycle
Total Flight Time
Those were my thoughts exactly when I was watching that, if the Helicycle had only been offered with a 2 cycle engine, I wouldn't have one right now.