Getting started on my Gyro soon!

Dirtydog

Best seat in the house!
Aircraft
Dogbee / Gyrobee
Total Flight Time
18 duel/ 55 hrs in the Dogbee
I got the rolling gyro ultra with the split mask on order.

1. Want do you think about painting the frame?

2. Is the split mask safe?

3. Comp. tail, is it better than a wooden or fiberglass?

Any input is requested

Chris

The split mast is safe, I have a Bee and have asked this question as well. The tall tail offered by the company is a good choice, you can adapt to a Dominator tail I believe, which would be a good option as well. Try the search feature, great info there to help you get started. I am selling my Bee only to finance my Dominator with the Yamaha engine. Thomas Fernandas has been flying his in CO. it is a beauty and flies very well.
Have fun with your build, Russ

Chris, just fyi, there is a former gyro pilot that lives in Bluffton, super nice guy, if you ever need someone experienced and close by to come over and take a look at your gyro build. His name is Jamie Bodie, and he has posted here so you could look up his profile and contact him directly, or PM me and I will get you his phone number.

Thanks for the input Russ, I talked to Dana about the composit T-tail I just didn't want it to come apart on me in filght. I have done fiberglassing on golf carts in the late 80 and 90's before they went to plastic. I can't wait to get started. Thanks again! Russ Hobbs

Thanks Ron I sent Jamie Bodie a e-mail hoping to talk to him. Belive me I might need a little input from time to time. I hope to have it done within a least 6 month to a year.

Chris,

Welcome to Beeville. No two alike that I know of. . .
but a great aircraft. An excellent basic design, and Dana's parts are first rate.

Any reasonable construction type is fine for the tail feathers. I've seen successful tube and fabric, all aluminum, composite (what I fly), and everything in between.

I flew for a couple of years with a bare aluminum frame. The oxide doesn't look fancy, but it's durable if you don't keep trying to polish it. I eventually settled on a "final" revision, and got almost everything powder-coated.
Looks better, but didn't improve the flying characteristics.

Watch your weight (don't "over-build", it's easy to do), get suitable instruction, try to find an experienced gyro pilot to do the initial flight testing, and most of all. . . have fun.

Please post your progress, especially with pictures. Questions are always welcome, and don't cost anything.

Thanks Rocky, I have work around alum for the past 25 years and so I know how it can oxide, I thought it would look a little better with it painted and with the light color it would show cracks if I do get any. Even when I work on the cobra helicopters we had to look for crack in our inspections. I plan to go for my sport lic. also so this way I can be a little over weight later on.

Just got off the phone with Dana and looks like I will have the frame ready by next weekend. I started cleaning the golf carts out of the garage today cleaning off the work bench. I started the web page to keep up with the work!
http://www.deerhuntingstandplans.com/gyro.htm

Yo Dog,

Nice web page. Will enjoy watching your progress.

You might want to consider a "dry fit" of everything before doing the cleaning and painting. Get enough non-locking nuts for everything during the "dry fit" (one of the few times you can use "hardware store" stuff). Don't torque things down, just snug. I recommend everything except the rotor blades should be installed. Then disassemble, paint whatever you want, and finally reassemble and torque with locking AN hardware. Sounds like extra work, but all paints are fragile and the fitting process is rough on painted parts, even powder coat.

As I mentioned, I built mine and flew for a while in raw metal. I was able to make modifications without worrying about the "finish" (most of us make minor mods on our birds during initial flight testing). Besides, this way you get to fly sooner, and the "rebuild" process is a great inspection opportunity to ensure things are safe.

Is there an EAA chapter near you? They may know little about gyros, but there is usually a wealth of information on general aircraft building and safety.

Hey Rocky, Yes I plan to paint "Sunset Red" I had a 94 Toyota 4x4 pickup that I was fixing up. but changed my mind and sold the truck this past weekend. Now I got a gallon of paint. But still have not make my mind up if I want the whole thing red or 2 tone color. I only live 2 miles from salt water so my alum. will not take long to start show oxide. Dana has most of it put together with reg grade 5 bolts now. This weekend get started on it.:party:
I know what you mean about the weight 254 is not much to work with. I plan on getting my SPL so if I go over it won't matter about a few pounds.

Last edited:
web site looks good,I added it to my favorites.

hope you enjoy building yours as much as I am enjoying building mine.

Mine it a bit more drawn out, but still alot of fun and a challange. with any luck I will have mine ready to fly this summer.

GYROMIKE
Yes I have thought about the 2 tone colors Red on the frame white on the tail.
ANIMAL
Thanks for the link I will put you down on mine also. I am looking forward to the build but also I can wait to be sitting in the seat when it lifts off the ground. I am looking around now for my Motor I think I found one today the guy let me have it cheap even threw in a prop for it. Take a look
http://www.deerhuntingstandplans.com/images/Prop2.jpg
http://www.deerhuntingstandplans.com/images/motor.jpg
Great looking motor!

I truly hope you are kidding about that Motor.

you will need at least 40 to 50 h.p. to fly. and that prop is from a fan. eekk!

Tim sadly I don't think he is, it's on his build website. I think someone saw him coming on this one. and a dayton fan for a Prop.

Chris, please do more research on the Forum.
there is no way that Engine will fly your gyro. be lucky if you can use it for a prerotatior.

Last edited:
AAAAA come on now u all can't take a joke! I thought it was good!:flame::focus:

I did talk to a guy today about a 503 and a prop but still have not made up my mind.

Last edited:
Glad you are joking. Trust me in the past we have had people on the Forum ask if they could make thier own rotors from a 2x 12 board.

So sometimes it is hard to know if they are jokeing or not.

I think I would be lucky if it made the Starbee move up the drive way! Hey I didn't think about going down the driveway though!:help: