RAF Hard to start cold - No choke

bmoore2156

Aircraft
Converted RAF
Total Flight Time
300 hrs in my RAF
Ok,
Here is a question I think I already know the answer to. But, I will ask anyway.
When the outside air temp reaches around 40 deg F and lower, the 2.2 carbed sube does not like to start. There is no choke and it takes a few minuets fussing with the throttle to get her to start.
I have tried to pull carb heat in hopes it would act as a choke, but it did not seem to help.
On a warmer day, I usually start the fuel pumps and then give it one pump of the throttle and she fires almost instantly.
I think these are my options.
1. Install a choke. (Is there a reason it doesn't have one already?)
2. Get a heated hanger.
3. Fly on warmer days. :Cry:
4. Ether? na, not in my gyro.
Thanks in advance for the help,
Brad

Question:
Is there any way you can rig a flap/door on the Air cleaner intake (out side the filter) inside the horn?
I've seen some of these in the past (even when crudely made) constructed from simple Galvanized sheet, cut into a disc shape with a swivel axis in the center.

It doesn't take very much air restriction to choke a Carb at 40*.
I'd think it would be enough to pop 'er off first try.... (and so easy to construct).

M-M

Purchase a magnetic oil pan heater so you can remove it before each flight. Turn on the fuel pumps and let run for about 10 seconds then pump the throttle to full about 5 times. It should start easy in 20* temps.

What carb? If it has an accelerator pump, just work the throttle several times to enrichen, leave the throttle closed, crank it, and be ready on the throttle when it starts.
You may have to "milk it" a bit to keep it running until it warms. If no accelerator pump, crank with the throttle closed to apply manifold vacuum to the idle circuit until it starts.
Will probably stall a time or two.

My thoughts exactly in the days of my youth before fuel injection and computers to adjust things I always has to pump the throttle on my 61 corvair several times before spinning the key... N if that is not working then get a rebuild kit for the accelerator pump, they are quick n east to install...

First thing I would do is a block heater.saves wear on the engine too.If that's too much trouble throw a tarp or blanket over the engine and put a 100 watt light under the engine.

Purchase a magnetic oil pan heater so you can remove it before each flight. Turn on the fuel pumps and let run for about 10 seconds then pump the throttle to full about 5 times. It should start easy in 20* temps.

You guys are right! She has been starting like a champ on cold days... I just pump the throttle 4 to 5 times and away she goes..
THanks,
Brad

Take care using the accelerator pump to prime. If you over do it you may get a fire. What happens is the engine backfires and the extra fuel in the carbs starts to burn. If this happens keep cranking the engine to suck the fire into the engine. If it continues to burn or gets bigger get away from the gyro and get help. In any case you will need to shut down the gyro and do an inspection if there is a fire.

Thanks Mike,
I will keep this in mind. I will try and only give it as many pumps as it takes to start.
Have a good one and happy new year!
Brad

Brad I kept my first RAF battery hooked to a battery tender so it was always at peak charge. I found I only needed 3 pumps with the throttle and it always started, then nursed it till it warmed up. I have the same this time and I use an Odessey battery. The times I've started it to breakin the engine, it has started ok.

Last edited: