Newbie with Questions!

theschultz

Hello all. My name is David Schultz from Baltimore. I have been to Mentone a few years back and took several rides while there. I have 2 hours in an RAF with Jim Logan on Long Island and am a FW Pilot to boot. I recent reignited my Passion for gyros. I have always found aeroplanes lacking something, although I do enjoy them.

I want to buy a gyro soon. I need instruction and Chris Burgess is the closest instructor, although his machine cannot carry me. (255#s) So I may need a 2 place. My ultimate goal is a 2 place, side by side with the cockpit and engine enclosed. I cannot afford that right now, though. A single place may fit the bill. Can I be trained in a single place?

I look forward to meeting some of you guys as I go through the process of buying a Gyro and learning how to fly it.

I am wondering a few things.

What is an average GPH burn rate in cruise for some of the machines? or better yet, what is the maximum distance you can fly some machines (N numbered, one and 2 place)
I weigh 255. What does that limit me to? (engine size, rotor blade sizes, certain models?)
Is there a mandate for insurance? If so, usually how much is it?
Would it be easy to find a A/P in Baltimore?

Any info will help me. THX! Happy Flying!

Last edited:
Greeting David and welcome to the forum and more fun than should be legal!!

Wow, your very lucky to be so close to an instructor all of ours are in the next state at least and Chris is one of the best! I've only head really good things about him.

Did you call Chris? Maybe he knows of a gyro that he can use to train you? It’s a long shot but no risk to ask.

I’m relatively new so I can't answer such a broad range of question without looking up many past posts regarding the different machines.

As to insurance I believe that Airport may require insurance and registration, elsewhere area’s you don’t need insurance unless you have a loan on the aircraft then the bank will require it. Price depends on the amount of liability coverage you need to carry according you how much you have to lose? But it not that expensive and we have at least one maybe two underwriters that folks have used here.

A/P is that A&P or abbreviation for Airplane?

A&P's can be found at just about at every airport but probably not your next gyro unless it's a kit and you have it shipped to you.

PS:
Best advice I can give you is train with Chris!!!

Welcome aboard, and others will tell you more.

Welcome Dave!

There are some single-place machines stout enough to be just fine with a 255# pilot, but you may need a few extra horses, even at your reasonably low elevation.

One very appealing engine option is the 120 HP Yamaha snowmobile-based four-stroke conversion being pioneered by "Racer" here on the forum. It would be plenty for any single-place machine. Read more in this thread.

Welcome Dave,

Not many of us from Maryland here, I live down on the Eastern Shore just west of Salisbury. I have a little 447 Air Command. I am also too heavy for Chris to train. I have been down to Macon Georgia with Steve McGowen and to Spartanburg SC with Gary Neal for training. It's a long ride but well worth the trip. Steve has a two place side by side Sparrowhawk and a two place parsons. Gary has a side by side RAF, both are really great guys and dynamite instructers. You can't go wrong with either one.
Keep in touch neighbor.

Response

Response

Sidekick
Thank you. :wave: You say you've had training and you have a gyro. Do you have a certification? If so, which one? How long have you been flying?

I will ask Chris about another gyro. If not, maybe I'll go to one of your guys. I also looked at Utah and flying in the enclosed trainer they have. Beautiful machine.

Thanks

PW
I will look into it. I may need the extra horses. Does blade size matter?

All In

I guess I am close, if he can accomodate me. Do you think one can get a SP/Gyro rating in a week? Good weather place.

Dave,

Welcome.

Getting a gyro rating in a week would make you a guiness book entry. Buying a gyro before you are trained is a recipe for a suicide. Do yourself a favor.

A. Cool your jets
B. LEARN
C. Lose weight
so....
D. You can train with Chris (I did).

C&D will not only have you feeling better and looking great, but you be really well trained too! LoL

I think the average fuel burn is generally around 5 gph.

Good luck and take a breath, make a plan and then join the fun.

Facts and stories

Facts and stories

Welcome back. Down in Wauchula, Florida an excellant Gyrobee is for sale w/ a 447 (40 hp) and 23' dragon wing rotors. It's current owner/pilot (Rick Martin) is every bit your weight, and that little bird flies him fine. More power would mean a better climb rate, but a little headwind spools those rotors right up to launch speed real quick.

Training in a two-place is a real good idea, and solo taxiing, flying the mains, and crow hops should only be done under supervision with communication. Truely, you first learn to land before you fly. Chris and Steve are most excellant CFI's. I trained under a high-time, non-CFI (Dave Seace), but going solo was a whole new ballgame.

All practical gyros are "experimental" thus no insurance on the machine is available. There are arrangements that can be made between you and a seller. The community at large is a fair and good bunch of people eager to expand the sport. The gyro I purchased was in Steve McGowan's hangar in Macon, Ga.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Attachments

• preflight gyro.jpg
    preflight gyro.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 0
"I guess I am close, if he can accommodate me. Do you think one can get a SP/Gyro rating in a week? Good weather place. "
Man David that would be a lot to absorbed in a very short period of time. I've only had 1 hr of instruction so far. But I've owned a flight school and it's really much better to train on a phase then take some time off to think about it before the next lesson which should start off with a review of your last procedure learned. If you wish to be the best pilot you can be learn as much about it before you even have a lesson. I read everything I can find regarding training and the threads here from experience pilots are invaluable.

David,
I have and Air Command with a 447 and I weigh 205. I don't have a certificate yet as I'm in no hurry since I'm flying an ultralight. That being said I had promised my wife I would not fly without training and I'm glad. Once I started training I knew right off I would have gotten hurt or worse without proper training. Training is not an option, it is a must.
Five Boy said that Chris can train you. When I spoke to Chris about two and half years ago, he told me he couldn't train anyone over 200lbs. If that has changed that is great. I plan on getting more training this summer and if I could drive 3hrs to Frederick MD instead of Georgia or South Carolina I could get a lot more training in.
Good Luck.

I will take my time and I do understand I need training. It sounds like it will take a few months. It takes whatever it takes to get trained.

Sidekick, maybe email Chris B. and ask again. It can be done.