New here looking for info and long term project

Abercrombie

Hello all, my name is Brian Abercrombie and I have made recent changes in my plans for the future that should allow me to be getting gyrocopters within the next four or five years. Currently I am techer in Texas (Spanish, Tech Apps, and Robotics)which doesnt leave a whole lot of jingle after bills, but in 4 years I will be retiring from that and beginning a carreer as a psych ward nurse. Retirement package and nurse salary gives me a brighter perspective than I had previously planned for.
I have tig welded for years and am good with mechanics and fiberglass work so I already have some useful skills plus I have access to a couple of 2.5 liter Subarus that were totalled by rearend collisions.

Up front what I am looking at that may or may not be a problem is that I am 6'4 and right at 300lbs(why I am thinking subarus).

So I will be asking about info on different kits, reading I need to do, ideas about modifications etc I will try my best to locate info first but forgive me if I verify my understanding through you guys. I am not the type to reinvent the wheel so I will mostly be checking my understanding of what is already in existence.
Thanks for allowing me to join.

No Title

Welcome to the Rotary Wing Forum Brian.

I weigh 240 pounds and have trained people up to 300 pounds in my two place open tandem powered by a Lycoming IO-320 with 160 horsepower. I have a useful load of 600 pounds.

I prefer an aircraft engine to a conversion. The new Rotax 915 shows a lot of promise if you want a kit. As far as I know there are no kits for Lycoming engines at this time. The Aircraft I fly (The Predator) is a one of a kind designed and built by Mark Givans and had its first flight in 1999.

You will want to make certain you are going to fit in the gyroplane. Some cockpits are more expansive than others.

The Titanium Explorer has a particularly large cockpit and could manage you weight and size even with a Rotax 914.

Attachments

• photo131396.jpg
    photo131396.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 0
No Title

There is a step to get into the back seat and I climb over to get into the front seat.

It is the black thing behind and below the fuel tank.

Attachments

• photo131566.jpg
    photo131566.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 2
Brian, there are several books on gyroplanes. I recommend Ira McComic's book on modern gyroplanes which will give the pros and cons of several models. PRA lists the various manufacturers as well. Welcome and enjoy the journey. Ray

Nance thank you very much. The info is good and the pictures are helping me form in my head where I want to go.I greatly appreciate it. Rainman thank you for the reading list will hunt them down.