M2 912 sport copter

Thank you Chris, and Resasi!

Dave, yes, the M2 models (regardless of engine) will have easily removable clear PC doors. This feature, with cabin heat, will make the M2 a very comfortable 4-season machine. We're flight testing it now without doors, and there is no buffeting and hardly any inside cabin wind. It feels similar to the Vortex M912 with optional "A-pillar" deflectors, but with easier ingress/egress.

With its chin bubbles, generous sunroof, and large uncluttered windshield, the M2's visibility is remarkable. This really enhances the pilot's situational awareness. While making pattern turns, traffic can easily be seen. The M2 has quite an "open" feeling!

P1090502.JPG

That photo really does it justice. Its a real beut.

Does the center stick get in the way with Pilot and/or passenger legs since single seat Gyro would have legs straddle the stick.

La levetta centrale si intromette con le gambe del pilota e / o del passeggero poiché il giroscopio monoposto avrebbe le gambe a cavallo della leva.
cI believe that this "lever" is the same as the R22 and therefore more than tested in years of flight. what are you saying? the same system also uses dynali helicopter

Thanks Resasi, we're glad you think so!

wolfy, thanks, and we're still trimming off some weight here and there, and will publish figures soon. Naturally, a robust machine like the Sport Copter M2 built to handle daily mustering tasks (e.g., with shock-absorber suspension, heavy-duty mast/rotorhead, 6.00-6 tires, etc.) cannot be as light-weight as the typical 2-place gyros which operate from asphalt or groomed grass runways. Nevertheless, the M2 will be under the Sport 1320 lbs. max gross weight with two male adults and 3+ hours of fuel, while providing excellent performance.

Dave, the center stick isn't in the way of either seat occupant, and there's nothing to swing a leg over during entry and exit. We like the center stick very much, and it shaves off at least a couple of pounds.

P1090507.JPG

P1090520.JPG

P1090498.JPG

Last edited:
It doesn't appear to have any storage space. The one thing I like about the Cavalon, is there is enough space behind the seats for backpacking gear. If the M2 has enough storage for backpacking gear, it would make it (in my mind) the vehicle of choice.

It doesn't appear to have any storage space. The one thing I like about the Cavalon, is there is enough space behind the seats for backpacking gear. If the M2 has enough storage for backpacking gear, it would make it (in my mind) the vehicle of choice.
Thanks, Don. Think of the Sport Copter M2 as a "1 + 1" with a more narrow body profile for better performance than a wider cabin.
Now, if flying solo, then the right seat is available for a large duffel bag or rucksack (and seat-belted in).

There is some room (both left and right) on the floor and under the seat for small soft bags.

The A-pillars could be used to attach a fishing pole tube, etc.

The nose area in front of the panel might be able to accept the size/weight of a 3-season sleeping bag (we'll experiment with this regarding cg).

So, with some creative packing, two people should be able to make backpacking trips. (With the M2 they'd actually be able to land/take-off from rugged back-country sites!)

Future external storage: we're considering center and side carbon-fiber pods as options. There's certainly the ground clearance for them.

Don, here are a few photos. Because of the M2's single center control stick and rudder pedal boxes, there is nothing to impede the cabin floor's baggage area. The soft bags shown are free of the occupants' legs and any controls, yet provide safe and convenient access to the contents. This may be unique among the side-by-side gyros.

[email protected] 503-543-7000

M2 soft bags.png
P1100328.JPG
P1100334.JPG

Congratulations, on your choice Don, happy flying.

mbut at what point is the development of this model? we don't talk about it anymore no photos are seen! there is no news! it's over? steering wheel? costs? motorization?

We didn't get to fly it, because Jim was working on the tail. He isn't 100% satisfied with it yet. However, having spoken with Jim for a few hours, walking around the shop and laying my own eyes on what he has done, I decided this was the gyro for me. If you've ever had the pleasure of speaking with Jim, you'll understand. Genius? Probably. Perfectionist? Absolutely.

I am working on a video we did while talking with Jim. I'll post the link as soon as I have it finished.

Don, if I had the wherewithal I would order one as well!
Having flown the Sport 2 a bunch I am convinced this rig will be bird to have.
Jim does have an impressive set up, I agree.

As promised, here is the video we did. Keep in mind there is no flying in this one. The M2 was being worked on. However, you'll get a good introduction to Jim Vanek and his line of gyros. Mark Pilkington of Skywagons is doing the interview. I run cameras and edit.

Very good video. Jim machines cost a little more than a lot of people want to pay but you can come away from watching this confident that you are getting good value. Never heard anything but complements of his machines.

Finally got around to viewing this video. Learned three new-to-me things.

1. A nifty feature of the M2: Removable rudder cable for inspection by disconnecting the thimble attaching the cable to the rudder & removing it from it's teflon-lined sleeve & then simply reinstall same cable w/out having to cut off the rudder cable thimble & then having to replace it w/ a new rudder cable).

2. Future propulsion idea of hydrogen/electric power utilizing onboard water as fuel source.
Quote from JV: "Mark My Words".

3. A flying technique of a full-stop B/4 landing. A quick pop back of the cyclic to drop-in (need an adequate suspension system such as already utilized on M-912s & the new M2 to prevent airframe damage). Probably very similar to what Dominators have been able to do when stopping & dropping in for a no-roll landing (long gear travel of the mild-steel landing gear legs).

I already had discovered by flying nose-high behind the power curve w/ a more powerful engine (than what a Rotax 582 has available) that a soft landing is more easy to accomplish w/out as much practice as an engine-idle landing requires to master. And, certainly @ a considerably slower A/S than the airplane-style landing that many gyroplane pilots regularly fly in order to touch down.