I Can See Clearly Now! take two

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Staff member
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2600+ in rotorcraft
I looked out the window Monday morning and everything was clear and sharp.

I walked outside and it was 51 degrees.

Two days of rainstorms have cleaned the air and primed me to go flying.

Friday I felt I had found the problem with the radio that I have been chasing since July.

We were having big gusting winds between the storms so I just did some stop and goes with one trip outside the pattern to test the radio. It seemed to be working but I was not certain it wasn’t wishful thinking.

The Predator was serviced and ready to go.

I had some tasks to perform and was out of the office by 10:00. I took the paved road because the dirt road across the creek has probably been affected by the rain.

Preflight went well and the call to Lockheed Martin yielded no bad news.

I met a new hangar neighbor, Renee and his family who have a Pitts, a 1945 Stinson V77 Reliant and a Bucker Jungmiester with a 135 horsepower Warner Radial. Renee is moving from Denver and the engine was in his trailer.

I checked ATIS and called ground for a taxi to runway 30.

Run-up went well and the radio sounded good.

I decided to fly out to Guadalupe and then up the beach past Oceano because it is a harsher test for the radio.

It was busy with five aircraft in the pattern but eventually I heard the magic words that launched the adventure.

“Experimental 142 Mike Golf, runway 30 clear for takeoff, slight left approved.”

The density altitude was -278 feet so she leapt into the sky. I pulled the power back and she rumbled across the fields at 65kts IAS.

We had picked up a little mist since my morning look but the valley still looked stunning with its patchwork quilt agricultural patterns.

The blue pacific looked rich and inviting in the distance. There was a steady 12kt head wind but no bumps.

It seemed there were hawks everywhere riding the wind still and graceful with only an occasional cock of the head or turn of their tail to let us know they were alive. I felt a bit of an intruder with all the noise and complexity.

I began my descent from 800 feet to 500 feet just past Guadalupe.

The magic is ever present as we descend over the dunes to start up the beach.

I called Oceano Traffic from 7 miles to the south transitioning north along the shoreline at 500 feet and 60kts. This is where the Snowy Plover has their wild sex parties so I am the only person enjoying the wide sandy beach.

The Predator was just rumbling along and her progress felt effortless and smooth. I pulled the power back and slowed to 50kts to try to hold onto this magic moment.

I marveled at what perfect flying weather was to be had in the middle of November. The air had a little bite to it but my new thermals kept me warm except when I took pictures. I was in aviation heaven flying The Predator along a route that I never tire of, enveloped in indescribable beauty.

All too soon I was overflying all the RVs that come to drive their sand buggies. They were sporting all around throwing up rooster tails of sand. Our shadow startled some as it slipped along the shore at 50kts.

I called Oceano Traffic at seven, five, three and one mile to the south and one and three to the north. Traffic was easy to manage and my friend Jack was dropping his skydivers. We managed to slip by as he was climbing out.

Abeam Shell beach we climbed to 700 feet and checked San Luis Obispo ATIS. There were none of the usual bumps in the sky and the wind at SBP was light and variable. I could hear ATC with very little noise even in the Avilla pass. My ANR seems to be working well and the combination made a wonderful difference in the flying experience. The Predator seemed to be running smoother and managing the flying experience effortlessly. I was very excited because I had made very little progress on the radio since July with several large setbacks.

The hills are already less gold and moving to green.

I was not the only person having flying fun on this beautiful day so the camera was put away as I managed ATC and the traffic in the Edna Valley.

The turn to base and final were smooth as silk and the windsock at my touchdown point was flaccid. I pulled the power back and made a wonderfully steady descent and touched down at Foxtrot without a single correction.

I usually only take time for afterglow in private. I found the feelings overwhelming as I tried to hold on to each moment of the flight. I sat in her for quite a while hoping no one would notice.

Jack was finished with dropping the skydivers and joined me for lunch. He is still excited about his ride In The Predator and wants to fly over Hurst Castle. I made him aware of the Hunter Low MOAs. It is another reason to not leave home without checking with Lockheed Martin.

He has also offered to help with my commercial. One of the things I love about aviation is how everyone wants to help me overcome the obstacles that stand in the way of aviation on a higher level.

I just received an email from Mary at Cable Airport confirming I will be flying a “Demonstration Flight” during The Cable Air Show in January. I love the way our horizons are expanding.

I have some great pictures from the flight back but the sky is calling and that will have to wait. The density altitude at SMX is -962 and winds calm. SBP is -1023 and winds 120 degrees at 3kts. It is 41F so I better bundle up.

Thank you, Vance

Attachments

• I Can See Clearly Now! take two
    2.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 0
    3.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 0
    4.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 0
    1.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 0
    5.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 0
    6.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 0
    7.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 0
    8.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 0
After the rains...

After the rains...

Vance,
Your pictures are crystal clear I love it just after it rains the air smells delightful and the views are so much greener and lush!

As usual your posts are just wonderful!

Keep em' comin'!

Love, Ed

Attachments

8113377085_a52f2b827c_b.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 0
More Shoreline flying!

More Shoreline flying!

Thank you Ed, your pictures would have been better.

I loved the look and feel of the ocean on this day so I decided to head for Morrow Bay. One of the things I love about flying is the freedom of movement. Roads aren’t necessary and each cubic foot of air is a brand new path. I have only to imagine and plan the journey. My plan was SBP to SMX via Morrow Bay.

After filling up I called San Luis Obispo ground for a taxi to 29 full length. To my surprise I heard “Experimental Gyroplane 142 mike Golf; Taxi via Mike, Juliet, Echo, cross Runway 29 at Echo to Alpha to 29 full length.” My read back was correct and I started toward runway 29 at Echo but I checked back in and confirmed that I had permission to cross 29 at Echo as I neared the hold short line.

The run up went well and I asked for a straight out departure to the west.

“Experimental gyroplane 142 Mike Golf, straight out approved, runway 29 clear for takeoff.”

I pressed the Prerotator button and as I taxied toward the centerline I saw a set of car keys. I had to wait till I released the prerotator button to inform the tower of the FOD. I made it clear it was a just a set of car keys and it was before the displaced threshold but they shut down the runway after my departure never the less. Before they were finished there were five aircraft holding in five different ways is several different places. The skill of the controllers is amazing to me. Only one pilot was ruffled by the five minute delay.

As I flew over Highway One I felt like I had left chaos in my wake.

I was headed outbound in the valley that is also inbound from the North West so I flew over the foot hills on the south side of the valley to avoid opposite direction traffic. Most outbound traffic will be turning north at Morrow Bay. There were no traffic advisories.

Altitude expands my view so I flew a little higher in the clear air.

Morrow Bay looked lovely in distance with the nine sisters leading the way.

Morrow Bay was so beautiful I turned for a last look before heading south along the shoreline toward Montana Del Oro.

The sun was reflecting off the ocean in a remarkable way that the camera can only hint at. I could feel the warmth of the reflection on my skin and I found joy in the freedom to follow that silvery path.

We had a steady wind out of the west that became a slight tail wind as we headed south gently pointing The Predator’s nose out to sea.

I circled several times near Montana Del Oro in an effort to prolong the magic I found on the coast line. I pretended I wanted to get a closer look at this or that but it was more an exercise of the freedom I felt at home in the sky.

Soon I could see the domes of the Diablo Canyon Nuclear power plant and as we drew near it appeared that they were pumping a lot of something out to sea. I kept my distance and altitude and picked up my speed a little so my passage would not be confused with loitering.

Thank you, Vance

Attachments

12.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 0
    11.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 0
    10.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 0
    9.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 0
    13.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 0
    14.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 0
    15.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 0
    16.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 0
Wow!

Wow!

Vance,
I think that is probably the closest you've ever gotten to the plant and it does look like the are dumping something. That's rather disturbing! I guess it could be re-circulated water??

Anyway great pics as usual. I love to see the area coming alive again with GREEN after all the brown that been surrounding us! Nice Job!

Love, Ed

Vance and Ed- You two just brighten my day, and its plenty bright the way it is.

I just enjoy watching someone else having real pleasure that they have earned. Your flying and mine are polar opposites....but the net result is both of us love our way of flying.

You enjoy getting somewhere............I enjoy going no where.....
You enjoy controllled airspace.......... I enjoy uncontrolled airspace
You enjoy flying above the scenery....I enjoy flying in the scenery

etc...etc...etc.....

Thanks for continually sharing and being always so punctual and precise.

Stan

The rest of the adventure!

The rest of the adventure!

I am usually lower than that Ed. The stuff coming out the back was turbulent. As a youth I used to surf at Seal Beach in the waters warmed by the power plant.

Thank you Stan.

I am glad we brighten your day.

I am grateful for our friendship.

Back to the story.

I felt overwhelmed with joyous passion as we continued our voyage along the magnificent shoreline. I found myself singing Amazing Grace at the top of my lungs dancing to the music across the sky.

I took a picture straight down so you could see the detail of the cliffs along the shoreline. I found motion, detail and beauty everywhere I looked. The westerly breeze became more of a tail wind and at 40 kts indicated air speed we were still making almost 65kts of ground speed.

We cut the corner into Avilla Bay and headed down the shoreline past Oceano. At Oso Flaco we made our last call to Oceano Area Traffic. Ten miles out I checked the SMX ATIS. I called ten miles to the northwest descending through 1,000 feet and was to make right traffic for runway 30 and report midfield. I followed the bluff on the edge of the Santa Maria Valley past the house where we live. I overflew the house but no Ed.

I had a big tail wind across the Santa Maria Valley. I was in no hurry so I slowed to 45kts but was still making 60kts of ground speed. They were trying to paint lines on runway 30 so there was considerable confusion. We were clear to land as soon as I reported “Experimental 142 Mike Golf, right down wind mid field for runway 30 to land.”

Landing into a steady wind is always a treat and this was no exception.

I sat in my afterglow for at least a half hour, pushed The Predator inside, down loaded the pictures and headed for home.

It had been a lovely day of flying and I had ended up right back where I started after flying 100 nautical miles in a little over two hours of flight time.

I love to fly!

Thank you, Vance

Attachments

17.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 0
    18.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 0
    19.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 0
    20.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 0
    21.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 0
    22.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 0
    23.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 0
    24.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 0
Your communication of passion is very good Vance.

That outflow reminds me of Turkey Point south of Miami, I think probably just recirculating warm water.

A word struggle

A word struggle

Thank you Leigh,

As I become a better pilot there are fewer challenges to write about.

I find I am becoming more passionate about the freedom and I am trying to communicate that.

I struggle with the words.

Thank you for noticing, Vance