Headsets in an MTO

Sorry you are still having some issues.
Like I have said before trikes have solved this problem for a decade.
They either use Lynx which are uncomfortable and require batteries to charge every 20 hours of use in the helmet or my favorite Flycom set. It's not that uncomfortable. For a helmet system it's quite comfortable. More than Lynx helmet.
In open cockpit you can't use GA headsets, I have tried a dozen and failed with 5 different intercoms. Some kind of worked but kind of isn't good.
Once you fly the right solution a couple of weeks you will throw rock at Lught Speed Zulu and Bose and sigtronics and PS-Engineering coms and ATR built in com. They just kind of work. I decided to kind of stop using them many years back and just buy the last open cockpit helmet system I needed. Ian not trying to sell them, you can order direct but get the right solution once and you will more than likely never look back. Yes they are expensive but so is my hearing.
Thanks Abid - I may still go there with the Flycom. But I really, really like the Lightspeed when I fly alone. Very quiet and clear with the NR. I actually think I may have it worked out. When the passenger mike is disconnected, everything is quiet for both headsets, only when the passenger mike is on, that's when it's noisy. I have an additional inline push to talk switch, but I think it is wired via the ground to activate the mike through the radio (not my idea, someone elses) so it does not actually disconnect the mike. If I rewire it I should be able I think to turn on the mike through this switch, so the passenger can talk when they need to. I am going to try it. Otherwise I should be able to simply add an on/off switch to the mike jack, and the passenger can just turn it on to talk and then turn it off. If the mike is off the Lightspeeds are really quiet and comfortable, and having it on for brief periods while the passenger talks is not a problem.

Last edited:
ah ... I think that is the problem. I think you will solve it with re-wiring. Best of luck. Let me know how it works. I am wiring all my customers harness for MGL V6 radio and intercom with 1/4" single jack for Flycom helmets but if they want to use standard headsets, its easy to use an adapter. MGL V6 has many software settings which can be set to either use GA headsets or Flycom helmets. I think that's the best way to go for my customers

Problem solved!!!! How to use GA headsets in an MTO!
With the help of Gordon T, I rewired the $19:95 push to talk cord male plug so that the PTT button does not key the mike, only completes the passenger mike circuit (middle ring), and everything works great. Very quiet and clear for both pilot and passenger with my Lightspeeds, and if the passenger wants to talk they simply press the inline switch and speak. If they want or need to talk to tower simply have to push both the real PTT switch and the inline switch. Tested today flying and at full power on takeoff etc, and works great. I love it when things come together with a nice cheap, simple and I daresay elegant solution.
In a previous post, I posted the wrong PTT switch cord picture, this is the one I have.

Attachments

• 11-07712s.jpg
    11-07712s.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5578.JPG
    IMG_5578.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Seems like Flycom is the way to go; just a matter of selling the Lightspeed headsets and Comtronics Helmets I presently have. It's a pain, because with just myself in the gyro everything is perfect. It's only with a passenger that I have a problem.

The comtronics headsets also work quite well. Or buy the headsets offered by Autogyro. In either of these cases you will be happy with the communication quality.

My opinion after using, installing many different options. Go with the 'factory' recommended helmets/headset. They work great. If you are a cold weather flier in a MTO go with the Flycom. I found the Flycom to be way to hot in the warmer weather. Also it seems the Flycom system has a difficult(super sensitive) volume control....at least in the last four we used.

I have tried many head sets and the clarity aloft GA works in high wind you just have to get used to in ear head piece style. After going with them I hate to use any other type. They have very high noise reduction and no air noise feed back. You can then use any motorcycle helmet of your choice

Desmon, I like the idea of finding a good Cycle helmet and use it with the Clarity aloft. I have a Yaesu radio that has a two plug pigtail for GA connection to a head set.

I am trying to find a head set helmet combo that will work both on the gyro and in a GA aircraft if there is such a thing.

What model of the Clairity do you use and do you use it in closed cockpit also and have you use it with a hand held in open cockpit?

Mark

I use they no certified model I am a dealer for them and I love them for open cockpit and have flown them in many aircraft. Like the Cessna 207,208,172 ad the sabb340. They are super light and a new package of 12 sets of ear inserts are about 12 bucks. They last along time. The inserts you can hand wash with soap and water and get a lot more life out of them. Because they are foam inserts they reduce lots of noise.

Seems like any number of headsets will work well as long as there is only one person in the gyro. My Lightspeeds are awesome by myself. The problem comes in where there are two people on board and the second microphone and headset play havoc with the Vox. I would strongly recommend that anyone buying an MTO, buy the radio setup and headset/helmet setup from Autogyro - the setup is probably the best for that aircraft and has been designed to work as a package by Autogyro. I would not cut corners in this regard. Some MTO owners have installed their own radios (non-Funkwork) to save money and have had nothing but headaches from their radios.
Where the difficulties arise is when one starts to mix radios and headsets as I did. The final solution that I ultimately settled on with 2 Lightspeeds is to install a second modified push-to talk switch that Velcros to the back stick ($20) and which I rewired so that it simply disconnects the back microphone and does not key the radio. This works great, with both headsets being very quiet as long as the back mic is not on. That means I can talk to others and I can hear other aircraft, the tower etc perfectly, as can the passenger. When the passenger needs to communicate with me, they press the modified PTT switch. If for any reason they had to talk to tower they would have to push both the installed and added PTT switches simultaneously.

Last edited:
I'm probably going to be buying an MTO within the year (after a bunch of training) and had been considering using an MGL radio instead, since I'd likely be using an MGL EFIS. My helmet is Flycom. Are you aware of issues with the MGL radios?

I use they no certified model I am a dealer for them and I love them for open cockpit and have flown them in many aircraft. Like the Cessna 207,208,172 ad the sabb340. They are super light and a new package of 12 sets of ear inserts are about 12 bucks. They last along time. The inserts you can hand wash with soap and water and get a lot more life out of them. Because they are foam inserts they reduce lots of noise.

Desmon, Sent you a PM and then had another question. I know that there is a problem with the impedance difference between high end ANR headsets like the Bose and these small hand held radios most of us use on the small gyros. I had a set of Bose X and sold them for this reason.

Do you know anyone that is using and having success with the Clarity Aloft headsets with a hand held? I guess what I am asking is the impedance issue the same as with the ANR GA headsets?

I loved my Bose X while training. Nothing better but If the Clarity do not work well with handsets then I best be thinking about not trying to get one head set for both applications.

mark

Last edited:
I'm probably going to be buying an MTO within the year (after a bunch of training) and had been considering using an MGL radio instead, since I'd likely be using an MGL EFIS. My helmet is Flycom. Are you aware of issues with the MGL radios?
I strongly recommend using only the Funkwerk and Autogyro Headphone / Helmet setup. It simply works. The harness everything is simply plug and play. Kent Goddard I believe tried to go the MGL route and has had no end of headache with his radios. Last I saw him he had defaulted to using his handheld.
Save yourself the headache. Fortunately I have the Funkwerk, and saved a little buying them in the US, but I did not buy the helmet headsets, which was a mistake. If I were to do it again I would by the whole setup, radios, headsets etc from Autogyro. Worth spending the extra rather than skimping in my opinion.

Awesome thread I thought I'd revive since I'm currently flying an MTO and considering headset/helmet, etc options.

I had to fit another microphone capsule in my old spare Auto-Gyro helmets.
The original microphone output was too low for my new Funke 833S.
I can supply the make and model, if anyone is interested. Cost was $2.....

I had to fit another microphone capsule in my old spare Auto-Gyro helmets.
The original microphone output was too low for my new Funke 833S.
I can supply the make and model, if anyone is interested. Cost was $2.....
Yes, details please rcflier.

Regards........Chook.

Hi Chook - and anyone else needing the info.

The company name is Bestar and the model is BCM9767. Electret condensor mic, so you have to use "Standard" microphone in the Funke menu.
I had to remove the resistors inside the earcup, so it is wired directly into the mic input of my Funke 833S.
The solder pad with the three leads sticking out is ground. And if you need pins, you get the "P" version. I did not, as it it fit in very well without.
The voltage from the transceiver is 6 Volts, so it's okay. Anyway, I am very happy with it.

Cheers
Erik

Attachments

• File1.jpg
    File1.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 5
  • File2.jpg
    File2.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 5
  • File3.jpg
    File3.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
It depends - if you got the GA or the UL version (of the microphone). Now I don't remember which version you need.

But if you're a DIY person, I have written about something that works.

Cheers
Erik

Last edited:
Hi Chook - and anyone else needing the info.

The company name is Bestar and the model is BCM9767. Electret condensor mic, so you have to use "Standard" microphone in the Funke menu.
I had to remove the resistors inside the earcup, so it is wired directly into the mic input of my Funke 833S.
The solder pad with the three leads sticking out is ground. And if you need pins, you get the "P" version. I did not, as it it fit in very well without.
The voltage from the transceiver is 6 Volts, so it's okay. Anyway, I am very happy with it.

Cheers
Erik
Many Thanks for that reply Eric. The frequency response graph for this microphone is quite complex with the 3 traces. I will have to refresh my theory where 2 traces mirror one another 3dB apart (half power) then flip at the 1kHz point. Most unusual unless using 2 source signals which is not explained. That graph would mimic an AGC (auto gain control) within the microphone insert itself which is filtering the incoming signal.

Regards......Chook.

Last edited:
Chook - I believe it's quite simple.

One signal and one ground - directly into the radio.

And I'm not concerned about frequency response - it just works (to quote someone).

Cheers
Erik