Gyroplane Climb Results, Mohawk Aero Yamaha YG4 - Bensen Days '23

N962GT

Aircraft
YG4 Air Command Tandem
Total Flight Time
800 hrs
Posted earlier but now can't find it so I'm re-posting for someone in my FB group, "Yamaha Conversion Engines", who is interested in the Garmin eTrex GPS data and interpretation.

First, I will provide the most recent climb performed at Bensen Days '23 on Saturday just before noon. Note: the date is not adjustable in the eTrex, a product shortcoming with this older hand-held GPS I purchased ~15 years ago. Hopefully Garmin fixed this since then... Which means the data dump indicates the wrong dates. The times indicated are correct however, and the correct date was 3/25/2023.

Data transfer direct from the eTrex to PC is via USB cable.

First, the elevation profile taken directly from the eTrex PC desktop program:Alt Profile 230325.png

The graph shows the warmup flight of 24 miles, followed by a full-stop landing (nose wheel on the ground, zero ground speed), then take off and climb to over 1000 ft. AGL.

Next here is the Excel spread sheet, using the data dump copied and pasted directly from the eTrex PC program. Included is atmospheric condition notes, etc.
Gunslinger Climb Wksht 230325 Bensen Days.png

Bottom line: Climb 1006 feet in 56 seconds in a course distance over the RW of 2788 ft; with a best sustained rate-of-climb of 300 feet in 11 seconds, 1636 FPM.

The next photo is a PC screen shot of the general eTrex information data dump, with the pertinent line highlighted.

Map Tracks 230325.png

And, finally, this is the (dual screen) screen shot of the data dump detail copied to Excel.

Screen Shot.png
I think you can click for a full size image. If you want a copy of any of this in original size, or have any questions please feel free to write to me directly at

[email protected]

or visit our website at www.mohawkaero.com

AIRCRAFT INFORMATION:

Type: Air Command Tandem "Low Rider", originally built by Ora Cook, AC Dealer, FLA, c1995. Sold to Greg Mills Spring 2011. Rebuilt by Mills with 2003 Yamaha RX1 snowmobile engine, christened "the Wicked" and first flown November 2012; rebuilt again following a rollover accident Summer 2019 and christened in it's new configuration "Gunslinger" as a nod to the removable 1/3 scale AMRAAM rockets it carries up front. (Someday those are going to be operational with Estes engines, but haven't gotten there quite yet LOL. Then, when buddy Barry T. is done doing his triple gyrocopter loops, I can follow up with a climb demo topped off by a double rocket launch sequence, heh heh...!)

2023 configuration:

• 28 ft. RFD Dragon Wings rotor
  • 68" 3-blade Warp Drive HP prop
  • '03 RX1 Yamaha Genesis 4-cylinder (YG4), 145 HP @ 9,800 - 10,500 ERPM
  • Prop Pitch limited to 9200 ERPM, 138 HP
  • PSRU: Arrow (Italy) 2.72:1 with internal sprag one-way soft start clutch, rebuilt Feb 2023
  • 12" empennage reduction, RFD Flying Tail
  • MAC Quick-change nose wheel
  • DRY Weight: 570 lbs
  • TOW with 200 lbs pilot + 1 hour fuel: 801 lbs.
  • TOW at time of climb, est.: 785 lbs.

Here is another climb profile and analytics I did in 2022 with similar results.

220927 Climb Profile.png

220927 Climb 1.png

220927 Climb 2.png
220927 Climb 3.png220927 Climb Average.png