Forum Donations

Brian Jackson

Platinum Member
Aircraft
GyroBee Variant - Under Construction
Curious if the RWF will be setting up a donations link. We've been up and running on the new server for a while and all is well, and I would like to help Todd and crew with some of the costs of keeping it operational. A recurring billing would be nice so a few bucks would be charged to my card every month. Thank you.

Todd Powell, of Spokane, Washington, owns this Rotary Wing Forum. He started hosting it decades ago when it appeared the original RWF was teetering on disappearing from the web from it's host (Norm) in Orlando, FL. That did happen, so Todd's forum picked up the pieces in the fall of 2003.

He accepts donations to help w/ the expenses of the forum. He does not require any donations, but is grateful when folks do contribute. Todd says his annual expense to host the forum runs around $1,200. About half of that figure he receives through people who donate toward those expenses.

One can donate w/ a check to his mailing address:
Todd Powell
9202 N. James Ct.
Spokane, WA 99208
And, Todd has this to say: "Thank You everyone for your support!"

He does accept PayPal. His PP address is: [email protected]

If each forum member clicks on their Avatar, then goes to their Account Upgrades, there is the PP option available. The option there w/ PP seems to be a yearly donation of $25, which suits me fine!

I enjoy reading so many interesting topics RE: rotorcraft flying that the price seems very inexpensive compared to what I get out of the forum!

Last edited:
Todd Powell, of Spokane, Washington, owns this Rotary Wing Forum. He started hosting it decades ago when it appeared the original RWF was teetering on disappearing from the web from it's host (Norm) in Orlando, FL. That did happen, so Todd's forum picked up the pieces in the fall of 2003.

He accepts donations to help w/ the expenses of the forum. He does not require any donations, but is grateful when folks do contribute. Todd says his annual expense to host the forum runs around $1,200. About half of that figure he receives through people who donate toward those expenses.

Todd Powell
9202 N. James Ct.
Spokane, WA 99208

If each forum member clicks on their Avatar, then goes to their Account Upgrades, there is the PP option available. The option there w/ PP seems to be a yearly donation of $25, which suits me fine!

I enjoy reading so many interesting topics RE: rotorcraft flying that the price seems very inexpensive compared to what I get out of the forum!
Please consider helping Todd Powell with the expenses of hosting the RWF for all of us to participate in. Us moderators, of course, aren't paid one red cent, so know that any funds you send Todd's way are appreciated by him (see above just under his address).

I'd be happy to do so if it did not automatically subscribe you to automatic annual payments. I was in the process of upgrading my account when PayPal told me I was authorizing annual charges, and I saw no mechanism by which to make a one-time payment where I could decide myself whether to renew next year.

I'd be happy to do so if it did not automatically subscribe you to automatic annual payments. I was in the process of upgrading my account when PayPal told me I was authorizing annual charges, and I saw no mechanism by which to make a one-time payment where I could decide myself whether to renew next year.
You can always opt out of automatic renewal on PayPal at any time before renewal!

Todd Powell
9202 N. James Ct.
Spokane, WA 99208

Please consider helping Todd Powell with the expenses of hosting the RWF for all of us to participate in. Us moderators, of course, aren't paid one red cent, so know that any funds you send Todd's way are appreciated by him (see above just under his address).

Last edited:
I'm sad to learn that of ALL the forum users & beneficiaries who check-in here that only 1/2 of Todd's expenses are met to keep hosting Rotary Wing Forum - @$25 /each it only takes48 contributions ...HECK many of us spend MORE than that on EAA - local and THEN National annual dues, local gyro club dues etc!!!! - the WEALTH OF INFORMATION HELD IN THIS FORUM IS PRICELESS!
PLEASE CONTRIBUTE - less than 50c/week IS A BARGAIN!!!

Wow! I had not thought that many people were cheap.....
I'm a foreigner - and I pay. This forum must survive.

Cheers
Erik

Ya mean there aren't even 47 others to pony up $25 among the many who frequent this site.? Shameful. I don't even fly anymore but I continue my support so that others may find the same assistance I got when building and learning to fly my Bensen. Maybe so few people are actually building anything these days accounts for it.
If you've never flown single-seat you don't know what you're missing.

Is there any kind of backup plan in place. If/when Todd is no longer interested or able to keep the forum going someone or organization will take it over.

I would hate to see the forum dissolve from view.

Hello,

Long time no post for me. I appreciate everyone's concern regarding the forum and its ongoing viability.

First, I certainly appreciate the donations that everyone sends via paypal to help support the forum. Your financial help has helped share the load.

Second, I can't thank Vance Breese and Kevin Richey for the time and energy they spend continuing to manage the forum and keeping it focused on rotorcraft and the sport we all enjoy.

Since people have asked, I have no problem sharing. In the past year from 3/16/23 - 3/15/24 I have received 40 - $25 donations (which are $23.64 after paypal takes their cut). The total income has been $945.60. The forum hosting service we use which keeps all the patches and updates installed and includes license to the forum software costs $1,199.14 / year.

There is a small budget shortfall but I'm not terribly concerned about it. If a few more people want to kick in and help make up the difference, great. However the forum isn't going anywhere regardless. In my opinion, the wealth of information available here is far too valuable to the people who fly and enjoy this sport.

Wow! I had not thought that many people were cheap.....
I'm a foreigner - and I pay. This forum must survive.

Cheers
Erik
Welcome, "foreigner" Erik!
I always enjoy your posts here & read every single word of what you share about your gyro journey over the decades!

Didn't you buy a brand-new set of McCutchen Skywheels rotors and a brand-new Rotax engine long b/4 you had a gyro to mount them on?

Todd Powell
9202 N. James Ct.
Spokane, WA 99208

A search on PP of ********** shows no records and unable to find. Perhaps he changed it?

Welcome, "foreigner" Erik!
I always enjoy your posts here & read every single word of what you share about your gyro journey over the decades!

Didn't you buy a brand-new set of McCutchen Skywheels rotors and a brand-new Rotax engine long b/4 you had a gyro to mount them on?
Hi Kevin.
Yes, I can share my entire journey.

In 1967, at 10 years of age, I saw the James Bond movie "You Only Live Twice".
And I thought: I want a Gyrocopter - someday.

Forward to the mid-80's. I imported a Rotax 477, so I could build an AirCommand.
But I got the wrong gearbox, so it ended up being a SCSI 503 instead.

In 1989 I went across the US to California to meet Martin Hollman (Bumblebee). When I phoned him from his hometown,
he said: I don't have time for you - I'm flying to Oshkosh. And that was that - I did not have time to reply: So am I.

And trying to meet him had made me late for Oshkosh. But there I called McCutchen and bought a 23' rotor.

Over the years I moved to this small island but still bought more and more pieces for a Gyrobee.

In 2015 I became a member of the Danish Gyro Association and had my first (boring) flight purely as a passenger.

In 2017 I rented a MTO Sport (complete with a CFI in the back seat) in Sweden to participate in the annual Danish/Swedish
event. 6 hours of stick time plus one landing and one start (wishing I had read the manual - that would've made it prettier).

In 2019 I saw an ad on Facebook - a 914 MTO Sport at a great price. In Sweden, so I imported it. As one HTC propeller blade
made a hollow sound when knocked on, I bought a Ukrainian Aero Prop. And someone else damaged the Type1 rotor,
so I eventually ended up buying a Polish 8.4 meter composite rotor (standard MTO size).

Travelling across the country for every block of hours, I eventually earned my license/certificate early october 2022.
Last year I made a perfect full stop landing - a bit above the asphalt runway. That made a crack in the undercarriage bow.
So I found another, changed ignition modules, oil and coolant hoses and renovated the carbs with floats and float bowl etc.

Quite expensive - and I had not cancelled the full hull insurance until october.

After a dreadful winter I just need to put in a handful of screws and check everything seventeen times.

The all new Gyrobee parts are still on my mind - I need only the tail and a prerotator.... But having the MTO - I don't know.

And I just passed the exam for english language radio usage two days ago, so I can use my radio outside of Denmark -

you guys have it so easy...

I needed that to fly to Germany and to a large European gyro event in Sweden late may. So I had to pass..

Thank you for your interest - I love talking and writing gyro.

Cheers
Erik

Last edited: