Award Winning Gyrobee

Ralph said:
Ed, When you get looking for blades, get a 24-foot set. Ralph
I just got off the phone with Ernie and he strongly suggested I get the 23 footers, as the 24's, in his opinion, are overkill. I went ahead and ordered the rotors he suggested.

He also talked a great deal about the undersling hole positioning and other things I knew nothing about. I'll have to read up on that.

He finally suggested that, if the Rotax 503 only has one carb on it, that I should immediately get a second carb and install it. He says that's the quickest additional 5 HP you can get as a bolt on kit!

Any thoughts? =Ed=

Ed,

Ernie's right on the carb issue. My first engine was a single carb, and adding the second carb made a world of difference. You'll probably see more increase in performance than I did, as my Air Command weighs in at 318 empty. Your new machine has to weight a lot less.

I would suggest getting used to your machine with the current setup first, then add the second carb.

Good luck with your new purchase!

It is a 503 with 2 carbs!

BarryK

Ed, when you coming? And are you wanting to take me up on the free overnight stay offer? I want to try to get Kenny J some early notice to see if he will come out to play.

Ed,
Ernie's right on... you'll be happy with 23' DWs near sea level. I flew my 24's at BDs, and they were... - ok.
Here the airport is 4,460' on a cold day, and the 24's are great. :)

I'm afraid I must respectfully differ with Ernie on blade selection. You should be flying the Gyrobee on the 24-foot blades. The closer you can get the disc loading to 1.0 psf, the better the aircraft will fly. The performance difference between 23 and 24-foot blades will be significant. If you were using Rotordynes, I would suggest a 25-foot rotor disc. Ernie's blades are better, but they aren't magic.

Ralph

GyroRon said:
Ed, when you coming? And are you wanting to take me up on the free overnight stay offer? I want to try to get Kenny J some early notice to see if he will come out to play.
I'll be driving down this coming Saturday, if everyone is good with that day, load her up Sunday and return Sunday night. Does that sound OK? =Ed=

Ralph said:
I'm afraid I must respectfully differ with Ernie on blade selection. You should be flying the Gyrobee on the 24-foot blades. The closer you can get the disc loading to 1.0 psf, the better the aircraft will fly. The performance difference between 23 and 24-foot blades will be significant. If you were using Rotordynes, I would suggest a 25-foot rotor disc. Ernie's blades are better, but they aren't magic. Ralph
Thanks, Ralph. The sheer amount of expertise in this forum is overwhelming to me, and I appreciate all the guidance and advice I can get.

Ernie also mentioned getting the blades in the correct underslung position. Do you have any advice on this, or can you direct me to some source of data I could examine?

Thanks again for your thoughts and comments. =Ed=

Ed, yeah that is ok. What time do you think you will be here on Saturday? And did you want us to put you up at casa-de-Awad for the night? Or were you planning on staying at a Holiday Inn or the Hilton etc....????

As for the rotorblades, I would toss a coin and get what ever the coin decides for you. Ernie is right, for the weight 23 footers will be the right size blades. Ralph is right in that 24 footers will give a little light wing loading and may fly better on the limited amount of power the gyro has. I can tell you that is has 24 footer Sportcopters on it now and they seem to work pretty good. I think with either size you will be okay.