Working on Brakes

I couldn't fly today, cool, windy and cloudy but did check my EMS settings. I don't focus on engine Rpm during takeoff but have my alarms set which I notice. Confirmed that on takeoff I'm over 5500rpm, displays a yellow arc. Alarm is set at 5800 and I've never seen that so I'm somewhere in the ball park.

Still need to finish idle setting and rebalance carbs, saving for a nicer day!

Suppose it a hold over from using derated power whenever available...less wear and tear on the engine...but then, possibly a bit more on tires.
I'm still flying around the local area, lots of pattern work, no cross country solo yet so not working the engine hard. Generally at 55-65 kts, climb out quickly and fly downwind close to the runway so easy to get back down if needed, practicing emergency engine outs back to the runway traffic permitting.

When Eric and I went thru the 40hr fly off we did tweak the prop several times and think it is close, maybe as close as I need it to be. We tweaked at .1deg increments and seems to be fine.

When I fly around the area I'm usually cruising at 4800-4900rpm and seems comfortable.

I finished hangar work today, set idle, balanced carbs and rechecked all the bolts and nuts I touched. Brakes are great, a few photos.

Working on Brakes

New stick with brake master cylinder, installed brakes bled and tested.

Working on Brakes

Working on Brakes

Denis and his guys did a great job modifying my axles tubes for the new spindles and brakes. Everything went together perfectly.

Hopefully I'll be able to get out and fly tomorrow morning!

Looking very nice Bobby.

Hope the weather works for you, get out and enjoy.

Tyger:

I first backed off the prop pitch .3 degs and a very small increase in rpm. Several days later I took another .4 degrees out. This morning I flew and now see just over 5800rpm on climb out. I programmed my MGL for rpm caution at 5500 and warning at 5800. Wired on a yellow led for cautions and red for warnings. Worked like a charm.

No change that I can see on taxi speed.

Good afternoon Bobby,

Typically a gyroplane with a properly pitched propeller won’t reach redline on climb out.

Usually the propeller is pitched to reach around 90 percent of redline on climb out.

The Predator in level flight will see 2,700 rpm (redline) at close to 90kts.

On climb out at 50kts I typically see around 2,400 rpm or about 89% of redline.

I feel pitching your propeller for 5,100 rpm on climb out might give you al little more relaxed cruse.

I have very little experience with the 80 horsepower 912 ULS so I may be completely wrong.

Vance:

From what I can find the Rotax 913 was designed so that with a properly pitched prop you should be able to hit 5800rpm at WOT. Heard that in a recent Rotax class and was confirmed here and on the Rotax Owners Forum.

I was especially interested in resetting my prop in an attempt to lower my taxi speed. Can't confirm that was achieved.

Good afternoon Bobby,

Typically a gyroplane with a properly pitched propeller won’t reach redline on climb out.

Usually the propeller is pitched to reach around 90 percent of redline on climb out.

The Predator in level flight will see 2,700 rpm (redline) at close to 90kts.

On climb out at 50kts I typically see around 2,400 rpm or about 89% of redline.

I feel pitching your propeller for 5,100 rpm on climb out might give you al little more relaxed cruse.

I have very little experience with the 80 horsepower 912 ULS so I may be completely wrong.

You should never pitch any 9xx series Rotax engines to be below 5300 RPM on climbout. That is severely lugging the engine and over time it causes premature damage internally.
I like to see 5650 RPM on climbout give or take 50.
That is a good balance I feel.

PFor other needs, with more cavalry available, you can use these STS, 1/2/3 brake discs, a really nice, functional, robust mechanics.

Attachments

• Working on Brakes
    IMG_20230628_190752.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Working on Brakes
    IMG_20230628_190717.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Working on Brakes
    IMG_20230628_190522.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 9
SOn my autogyro with a static thrust of 320kg I had to mount the double disc.

Attachments

• Working on Brakes
    IMG_20221216_134456.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Working on Brakes
    IMG_20221216_134435.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Working on Brakes
    IMG_20230324_122914.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 12