Visit to Oklahoma

Brent Smith

Aircraft
Mini-IMP-C
Just wanted to post a quick note about my visit to Oklahoma over the last week. While there, I was finally able to connect with Paul Patterson at his hangar at the Edmond - Guthrie airport. I have to say that Paul is a prince of a guy. He very patiently led me through a tour of his beautiful red and gold RAF2000, answering every question I could think of and many that would not have occurred to me. I'm only sorry that his gyro was down for a maintenance bug; I would have loved to go flying with him. In case you didn't know, Paul was a Viet Nam huey pilot, built his RAF from a complete kit and earned his CFI Light Sport rating to give instruction in it. Paul is facing some personal family challenges but is maintaining a cheerful attitude. I expect he'd be willing to meet with others if you'd like to give him a call or send him an email. By this post, I'd like to publicly thank Paul for his hospitality.

Yep, Paul is one of the good guys I met paul In 2011 he came to N.M. to give me lessons

in my newly acquired RAF only to find out that it wouldn't fly at this altitude with 2 on

board,he was the one to suggest that I turbocharge a Subaru engine for this altitude,I

followed his advise and have been flying here ever since.

Best regards,

My wife is from the Muskogee area (Ft. Gibson) and when I go there my father in law and I used to go to the Tallequah airport and see what's going on. I haven't seen gyros around that area so far. I have seen someone operating a twin rotor Kavan helicopter several times, don't know where he's based out of though.

My FIL is getting too old to make the trip these days but he still talks about the airport. He used to be big into RC airplanes but I never was able to get him in the air even in a small Cessna.