Preflight pays off!

LARRYEBOYER

Gold Member
I was going flying thurs evening and was doing a preflight. I was doing the eyeball on all the control parts and grabing and shaking things and checking belts. I felt the alternator belt and it was loose. I thought "whats this all about?". A little closer look and the back rod end that supports the alternator broke right at the nut that tightens down on the support plate.Ken, you are right. The rod ends supplied with the kit may be junk.

Larry, get rid of the other rod-end, get 2 decent ones and replace the 2 bolts with one, long grade-8 bolt. Then, just snug down the nut. Don't overtighten it and you should never have one break again.

Alternator Rod ends

Alternator Rod ends

Larry
When you change the rod ends be sure to take up any space between the rod end and the alternator with washers. Don't just tighten down the bolt till they meet, or those new ones will break also over time.
Tony

Since you're looking at your rod ends - have you changed out ALL the other rod ends on your machine? If not, it's highly recommended. The Chinese knock-offs that come with the kit should be replaced with actual Heim rod ends. Having one of the Chinese knock-off break in flight could be a real messy situation.

Walker

Rod ends

Rod ends

When I changed mine I also noticed that the balls in the new ones rotated freely. the old ones that came with the kit were very stiff.
Tony
N267A