nanolight trike to gyro?

GrantR

Aircraft
Kolb MarkIII and a "Jake" Gyroplane
Total Flight Time
About 85 fixed wing 3 gyro
Would it be possible to convert a nanolight trike into a gyro? Well I guess anything is possible so would it be feasibly to build around this type frame to get a light weight foldable portable gyro? These will fold up and fit in a car truck. The wing goes on top of the car.

https://www.northwing.com/atf-trike.htm The total weight of this trike is only 186lbs with a 30hp engine.

Seems like you could use a 18 or 20 foot rotor to do the job. There are some plans for a trike on the net similar to this one.

Still gotta add a tail...and rotor head, rotors, control assy., rudder pedals, etc.

I don't think you would save any weight over a stripped down Bensen or Bee by the time you add all the "extra" stuff.

And the thrust line will be VERY high.

The designer of the Italian Arrow engine (Gino?) flew a single place Magni gyro that had been converted to a trike at Bensen Days a number of years ago.

Tracy Crook converted his Bensen to fixed wing back in the 1970s. A high wing parasol propelled by a single cylinder motorcycle engine using the stock transmission for the redrive.

The thrust line is not high on a trike . I was just reading the WSC handbook and it said trikes are designed so the thrust line passes through the CG.