angle for support struts :rolleyes:

Attachments

• My GyroBee Build.
    Drilled seat plates.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 0
kds said:
Seat plates drilled and deburred. Think I will need some more 1x1x1/8
angle for support struts :rolleyes:
Looks good, but did you note in the plans that both pair of plates have different hole patterns? Yours are all identical. But that might still be OK to use. I'm not completely certain about the reason Ralph made the hole patterns different, but the plates for the seat back have 2 rows of 6 holes instead of 4. Just thought I'd mention this incase there's an issue down the road.

Who's the dude in the sketch?

Last edited:
Kirby,
I may have a simple solution for you, but please check with Ralph first before doing this.

I believe however that Ralph designed the Seat Back Plates with more fasteners (6 per side in lieu of 4) because of the added load of pilot weight at this point on the airframe. I hope someone out there will correct me if I'm mistaken.

So I got to looking at the hole spacing to see if you can modify your existing Back Plates without having to re-make them. Attached is an image showing how you might add the additional holes. It shows 7 per side instead of 6, and therefor shortens the distance between them a bit. But it does distribute the load evenly over the length of the part this way.

Again, if you consider doing this, consult Ralph first. I do not know for certain that the closer hole spacing wouldn't weaken the diagonal seat braces.

Thanks,
Brian Jackson

Attachments

• My GyroBee Build.
    seat-plate-kirby-cad.gif
    33 KB · Views: 0
Wow Brian!!
Was wondering if you would catch that.....purposly didn't mention that.lol
Was waiting :D That is how they come from Starbee's.
Went and bought metallic fine point sharpie........drew center line on back
of seat, then found center points top and bottom. Place and drilled middle three
holes....going thru back seat plate. Bolted ( not Rivet yet) Front and back plates.....reamed nicely. Tomorrow line braces with masking tape, draw long center line........clamp, block in middle so it won't slip.....9" above keel, attach.
Might brace all the way across bottom.....oh well..here are a few pics.

ps. That is a drawing I did of my Father :)

Attachments

• My GyroBee Build.
    Seat brackets front.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 0
  • My GyroBee Build.
    Seat brackets Backside.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 0
Nice! I like the metallic Sharpie tip... methinks a quick outing is in order to fetch one - that's precisely the point I'm at.
Good going :)
cheers,
John

kds said:
That is how they come from Starbee's.
I didn't know that. Your project is looking fantastic by the way.

Is it just me, or is there a conflict in documentation? I love StarBee's quality, integrity, craftsmanship and attention to detail. But they're linking Ralphs plans while their 'Bee version is evolving away from them.

Since every part of the airframe is interdependent, wouldn't it make sense for them to note (and publish) which parts of Ralph's documentation are voided as a result of their changes? They sell individual parts... for example the new Nose Block. Look what happened to one plans-builder recently when his arrived an inch longer than the original?

I'm just kinda thinking out loud here. As much as I respect and admire StarBee, it seems there's growing confusion as more and more parts become incompatible with Ralph's existing documentation. This is where revision numbers would come in handy.

Thanks,
Brian Jackson

banaari said:
Nice! I like the metallic Sharpie tip... methinks a quick outing is in order to fetch one - that's precisely the point I'm at.
Good going :)
cheers,
John
Thanks John,
Metallic sharpie looks sweet on Black!
Have a great one fellow Bee builder:)

Brian Jackson said:
I didn't know that. Your project is looking fantastic by the way.

Is it just me, or is there a conflict in documentation? I love StarBee's quality, integrity, craftsmanship and attention to detail. But they're linking Ralphs plans while their 'Bee version is evolving away from them.

Since every part of the airframe is interdependent, wouldn't it make sense for them to note (and publish) which parts of Ralph's documentation are voided as a result of their changes? They sell individual parts... for example the new Nose Block. Look what happened to one plans-builder recently when his arrived an inch longer than the original?

I'm just kinda thinking out loud here. As much as I respect and admire StarBee, it seems there's growing confusion as more and more parts become incompatible with Ralph's existing documentation. This is where revision numbers would come in handy.

Thanks,
Brian Jackson
Hi Brian,
I totally agree....if you take a close look at their Bee, you will notice quite a few changes. I have faith they know a tad more than I do about these things:)
take care,

kds said:
Hi Brian,
I totally agree....if you take a close look at their Bee, you will notice quite a few changes. I have faith they know a tad more than I do about these things:)
take care,
Yes, their stuff is great. Just makes it difficult to know for sure which parts are compatible for us scratch-builders.

Little tidbit of info.......at wal-mart in camping section, a 7gal blue tank that fits
Bee perfect for 7$ if not going 103 ultralite route.

Thanks for the tip on the Wal-Mart tank, Kirby. I have one question, though. At the risk of sounding insensitive, how does a blind pigeon fly? Does he do it on instruments? And did you install an ILS system at your house so the he can land? And since you taught him to fly, does he spin his wings around in circles when he flys, or does he flap his wings like normal pigeons? :D

OK... so that's more than one question. I'm very curious, though.

martylunsford@h said:
Thanks for the tip on the Wal-Mart tank, Kirby. I have one question, though. At the risk of sounding insensitive, how does a blind pigeon fly? Does he do it on instruments? And did you install an ILS system at your house so the he can land? And since you taught him to fly, does he spin his wings around in circles when he flys, or does he flap his wings like normal pigeons? :D

OK... so that's more than one question. I'm very curious, though.
Hi Marty,
hahaha When I found him he wasn't blind......guess old age got him.lol
Now I just let him do small crowhops......no more flying the pattern:)
He really will fly into tree trunks, side of the house, middle of the pool....I have to dive in and save him......sucks middle of winter! (OK I scoop him out then)

Have a good one,

Hi All,

My Sun Yellow wheel Set and Drag struts.
Thanks for fixing my little screw up, George :D lol
Have a good one fellow Bee builders.

Attachments

• My GyroBee Build.
    Yellow wheels and drag struts.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nice one! :)
Does this mean we get to see the KirBee on her wheels Real Soon Now??

ps. Have you formally named the ship yet?
pps. What's the rest of the colour scheme going to be?

Blue Tank

Blue Tank

kds said:
Little tidbit of info.......at wal-mart in camping section, a 7gal blue tank that fits
Bee perfect for 7$ if not going 103 ultralite route.
KDS,

I've used this blue 7 gallon "AquaTainer" from Walmart on my experimental Bee and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. The plastic is way too thin in places and it gets soft over time upon exposure to fuel. Also, there's a rib molded in the bottom on the tank that will prevent draining all of the fuel from one side or the other.

Instead I found a heavier wall 10 gallon cube shaped fuel tank designed for a UL aircraft (trainers) that works well.

Best regards,

John L.

banaari said:
Nice one! :)
Does this mean we get to see the KirBee on her wheels Real Soon Now??

ps. Have you formally named the ship yet?
pps. What's the rest of the colour scheme going to be?
Hi John,
Hope to have her on wheels soon.....first think I will clear anodize main parts, then paint
the rest of my sweet baby black.
Name wise....hmmm still thinking on that one.
take care.

I have Hurd ( not experienced it myself) that the blue plastic tanks at walmart are strictly for water... their to thin to be safe for fuel
the red ones are made for fuel and have been useing them to carry fuel back and forth for the ultralights for 4 years now with no problems....
My Dad however dropped one into the back of the truck and it did split open
... why in god's sake he dropped a full can of fuel into the truck in the first place is not known.... guess he's not as strong as he used to be HEHEHEHE ... sense then he's been more carefull and hasn't had any problems !
there are Folks out there that simply hate plastic gastanks on a aircraft of any kind because they can and do split open on impact....
but then your not supposed to impact anything with an aircraft !
...just thought you might be interested !
Bob....

Bob said:
I have Hurd ( not experienced it myself) that the blue plastic tanks at walmart are strictly for water... their to thin to be safe for fuel
the red ones are made for fuel and have been useing them to carry fuel back and forth for the ultralights for 4 years now with no problems....
My Dad however dropped one into the back of the truck and it did split open
... why in god's sake he dropped a full can of fuel into the truck in the first place is not known.... guess he's not as strong as he used to be HEHEHEHE ... sense then he's been more carefull and hasn't had any problems !
there are Folks out there that simply hate plastic gastanks on a aircraft of any kind because they can and do split open on impact....
but then your not supposed to impact anything with an aircraft !
...just thought you might be interested !
Bob....
Hi Bob,
Thats good to know...thanks for the heads up. I am using the 5 gal from StarBee's,
does appear to be thicker.
be safe...thanks

All anodized (clear satin) on wheels :)
take care fellow gyro friends.

Attachments

• My GyroBee Build.
    Lucky 13.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 0
  • My GyroBee Build.
    Lucky 13 front view.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 0