It's been a rough winter....

Who doesn't love Government efficiency?

I tried to leave the Air Force and join the Army to fly their helicopters (I had been recruited by a Warrant Officer), but was stopped because I didn't have a DA Form 1a. The Air Force has a RIP in lieu of a DA Form 1a. To get a DA Form 1a, you had to BE IN THE ARMY!

I went to the VA to get a free Covid test that they were offering. I was blocked from entering because ... I HADN't HAD A COVID TEST!

My wife filed for her deferred annuity ( she quit when we moved to our boat and went sailing). Government website said to file 60 days before eligible. We did, got a retirement number pretty soon afterwards, said they would send us info so we could track the application. More than 120days later! Guess what... No update, no status, and website says inquires answered within 24 hrs - not. Five days to respond and response was meh!

Bobby

Many many years ago, when I would travel North on the Island of Luzon, Philippines from Clark AB to Baguio City in the mountains. I would find it strange that the Filipinos there all would be wearing heavy coats while I was always comfortable wearing short sleeves and shorts. Temps in the day were in the high 70s to low 80s and evenings were low in the low 60's to high 50s. It's all relative.

The Gulf Coast temperatures in the summer always seemed hotter and muggier to me than in the Philippines.

My time on Guam, the temps to me were comparable to Thailand except with a little more breeze. The temps on all the islands of Hawaii I absolutely enjoy as well as my wife (she's an island woman)

SEATAC area. I've been there during all four seasons and only experienced one weather pattern. 60s, cloudy with rain.

Today here in Santa Clarita, it's suppose to be 76 F. Los Angeles and down into Orange County it supposedly will be in the mid 80s.

Wayne

I went to the VA to get a free Covid test that they were offering. I was blocked from entering because ... I HADN't HAD A COVID TEST!
This reminds me of the supply sergeant who does not want to issue equipment because, if he did, he wouldn't have any left to issue...

Government in a small town built a bridge
Hired a man to maintain the bridge
Hired a man to collect the tolls
Hired a secretary to count the money and bank it
Hired a payroll clerk
Hired an accountant to do the books
Hired a personnel manager to oversee the 5 staff
Cost overruns required cutbacks
Fired the man who collects the tolls

Who doesn't love Government efficiency?

I tried to leave the Air Force and join the Army to fly their helicopters (I had been recruited by a Warrant Officer), but was stopped because I didn't have a DA Form 1a. The Air Force has a RIP in lieu of a DA Form 1a. To get a DA Form 1a, you had to BE IN THE ARMY!

I don't. I deal with it daily! LOL

Wayne

This reminds me of the supply sergeant who does not want to issue equipment because, if he did, he wouldn't have any left to issue...
Oh Snap! you mean you know Chief (insert Philippino name here) I was stationed with him!

Tyger, we once were tasked with finding an adhesive that works to stick a tool to the side of non ferrous hulls to defeat limpet mines.
We tried everything, if it worked in warm water, it was too hard in cold and such....if it was cold and we tried it in warm the tool would slide down the hull.
I spent weeks trying to solve this problem and finally found an NSN stock # for a product called underwater explosive adhesive! Submitted the proper request forms and waited.....and waited....6 months later we get a response from DC!
RJ4 code.....???? Went to supply, Chief, what the hell is RJ4?
looks it up....
"Not an authorized end user"
My whole team went kablooey, if we an EOD active duty detachment, at an EOD Mobile Unit, isn't authorized a tube of glue, just who the hell is? We are the instructors for the Seals Underwater Demo classes and really everyone elses as well.....
That really chapped our hides.
No....we never did get any.

Tyger, we once were tasked with finding an adhesive that works to stick a tool to the side of non ferrous hulls to defeat limpet mines.
We tried everything, if it worked in warm water, it was too hard in cold and such....if it was cold and we tried it in warm the tool would slide down the hull.
I spent weeks trying to solve this problem and finally found an NSN stock # for a product called underwater explosive adhesive! Submitted the proper request forms and waited.....and waited....6 months later we get a response from DC!
RJ4 code.....???? Went to supply, Chief, what the hell is RJ4?
looks it up....
"Not an authorized end user"
My whole team went kablooey, if we an EOD active duty detachment, at an EOD Mobile Unit, isn't authorized a tube of glue, just who the hell is? We are the instructors for the Seals Underwater Demo classes and really everyone elses as well.....
That really chapped our hides.
No....we never did get any.
We, my wife and I, worked for the Army for a very long time. What you can get through the supply system is tied to the unit description, 2 versions TDA and mob TDA. Basic TDA, Table of distributions and allowances, controls supplies during peacetime. Mob TDA, those supplies accessible during transition to conflict.

Only speaking from my Army experience, but supported a SFG unit and not had these issues. But, military supply is notorious for this stuff. Unit Supply Sgt was the king!

What you can get through the supply system is tied to the unit description, 2 versions TDA and mob TDA. Basic TDA, Table of distributions and allowances, controls supplies during peacetime. Mob TDA, those supplies accessible during transition to conflict.

Only speaking from my Army experience, but supported a SFG unit and not had these issues. But, military supply is notorious for this stuff. Unit Supply Sgt was the king!
Yes, you have pretty much nailed it... really the MTO&E (or TDA) is king when it comes to requesting "oddball" stuff.

We once had an E4 do a risqué little monologue at a party, playing the role of our supply sergeant talking to a woman.
Punch line of the skit:
"Yeah baby, I know you really want this. Oh yeah, I'm going to give it to you, baby... but first you have to SIGN for it!" ☺️
That brought down the house!

The continuous issues with requisitions of supplies and materials has plagued Armies of all nations as far back as when Moses was a Cadet. Never-the-less, there's always a way around the "bottleneck."

Here in SoCal, in one square mile location, there was a National Guard Armory (Artillery and POL units), a USN/USMC Reserve Center, an Air National Guard Combat Comms Squadron, and an Army Reserve Center with a Transportation BN. During my visit at the ARNG Armory, I found out that the new POL unit had a number of idle mechanics willing to work on vehicles, however the unit had not received all of it's new equipment. After my visit I drove down to the USN/USMC Reserve Center. I noticed that there were a number of light vehicles that were out-of-service. The Marines didn't have any mechanics to fix the equipment. I asked the Master Gunny if he would like to take a short ride with me to the ARNG Armory up the street? Off we go and I introduced him to the POL CSM. Within 30 min, the ARNG mechanics were at the USN/USMC Reserve Center working on the USMC vehicles. By the end of the weekend, all were repaired. Another time I was visiting the Army Reserve Center and saw the troops were being fed by a contract caterer since they didn't have any cooks. I ask the CSM if he wanted to take a short ride with me to the Air Guard Combat Comms Sq? The Air Guard Station had a very nice dining facility. The following month during weekend drill, the USAR solders were eating at the Air Guard Dining Facility. A little horse trading and hand shakes is all it takes. All those units unofficially shared resources for years after.

Last one. Every year, UCLA gives out free football game tickets to Active Duty, Reserve and Veterans for Veterans Day in November. I will travel around to the various units and recruiters to hand out the information. Here in Santa Clarita, I had stopped by a USAF Recruiter to hand out the UCLA pamphlets when I found out they were out of copy paper in their office and were not able to requisition any more. Right after, I drove over to the Air Guard Combat Comms Sq to distribute the UCLA pamphlets. There in the office, I see at least 20 cases of copy paper. I asked the MSgt if I can have two cases? He asks why and I tell him about the USAF recruiter office that is out of copy paper. He laughs and says to take as many as i want. I grabbed three cases and off I go back to the USAF recruiter office. The recruiter is on the phone when I deliver the cases of paper. He looks at me and I say, "Don't ask." I happened to see the recruiter at the UCLA football game and he thanks me for getting him out of a jam.

Wayne

"saw the troops were being fed by a contract caterer since they didn't have any cooks. I ask the CSM if he wanted to take a short ride with me to the Air Guard Combat Comms Sq? The Air Guard Station had a very nice dining facility. The following month during weekend drill, the USAR solders were eating at the Air Guard Dining Facility"

Don't know when this was, but the way it works now, the caterer would have gone to the roic and filed a complaint for services, gotten handed off to JAG who would have instructed them to carry out the contract they had been awarded and they would have made a ton of money off the fact that they had less mouths to feed but still got paid the same as the contract specs awarded.

it's a tangled web, no doubt, but having been in Gov't contract work for decades I have seen some crazy stuff (from a taxpayers point of view) that made companies tons of profit.

Hi Ben,

These events happened well over 20 years ago. I just don't recall exactly, but I think this change over happened Sept - Oct time period. The catering contract was probably up at the end of the fiscal year anyway (30 SEP) and the timing was right.

Wayne