Flying Stories Till Winter Ends!

LARRYEBOYER

Gold Member
Hey fellow pilots and friends! Winter will be a fading memory in 5 weeks.(I hope!) In the mean time, how about some flying stories. Give us your most memorable flight or most educational, or most harrowing white nuckle one. I don't care. Just say something and get this thread moving and fun to visit. We RAFers love our machines and have had many an adventure with these wonderful machines. Let's hear some stories.This request isn't just for RAF owners. Let's here from all. I want to see a 20 pager!!!! :D

Last edited:
Larry: Here's a spring flight I had to help those with the winter blues:

One spring day several years back, our chapter was meeting @ Jack Lenhardt’s airstrip in Hubbard, south of the Aurora airport.

Jack used to fly a gyro himself, being a long-time airplane and helicopter pilot. He restored many of the early helicopters seen in the military museums.
It is 22 miles from the Estacada airport, along the path I wanted to fly, according to the aeronautical chart.

Others had flown in there over the years. Jim Vanek and Evan Dagle, in the Sport Copter gyros, from Scappoose, and Dan Darling, in his KB-3, from the Hood River area were the most recent ones. Also, Don Stuart and Tim Elliot from Salem, in their Vancrafts, and Dave Stubblefield in his Air Command from the Hillsboro area.

All of these fellows have flown a lot further mileage than this trip was.
I was a part-owner in a Vancraft Rotor Lightning, a delightful gyro to fly. Five of us had bought a share of ownership from Dan Robertson, who bought it used from Steve Beck, a former chapter member that wasn’t flying it anymore, w/ about 22 hours on the Hobbs meter.

It was the second Vancraft gyro that Dan had owned. He sold the first one to help finance the building of his home. He had flown helicopters in the Army, as well as in the reserve.

The day arrived w/ clouds, winds, and rain squalls, at least in the Estacada area. I had already arranged w/ Marv Waldner to have a return supply of pre-mixed fuel ready.

Marvie was a former chapter member, along w/ his wife, Ruthie, who lived near Lenhardt’s airpark. He has since passed away due to cancer. He flew an Air Command gyro.

I called Marv that morning, and asked him what the weather situation was there @ his place. He advised me to not fly to the meeting, as it was windy and gusty.

I discounted his advice due to the difference I had read as well as heard from other chapter members about how "hot" the Air Command stick controls are compared to the docile Vancraft (now Sport Copter models also).
Windy conditions are suspected in many deaths of that (early) make of gyros when the pilot is flying at high speeds (over 65 MPH), due to extremely sensitive control inputs and a higher thrustline than recommended by gyro experts.

I had already driven over an hour from my home in Cornelius (near Hillsboro), to the Estacada airport, where we had the Rotor Lightning hangared. I had done the pre-flight, fueled up, warmed up the engine, then had shut it down and called Marv.

The weather there @ Estacada looked a lot like it does in Scappoose during the spring…some cold winds and rain squalls, w/ brief dry spells interspersed.
I was agitated w/ the idea of not flying after all that work and driving to the meeting. (MISTAKE #1: "Get There-itis").

I should have grounded myself due to the weather conditions, Marv’s advice, and a degree of impatience. I had since learned to do so after gaining some hours in the air in this marvelous little flying contraption we call gyrocopters.

I went ahead and took off, w/ extra fuel on board, accessed by an ingenious electric fuel pump system that Jim Ginn (one of the other owners) had installed. It took about five minutes to transfer the extra 2 ½ gallons after burning that much off in the five gallon main tank.

Although this idea of extra fuel worked well for sustained flight, it caused me danger further on, once again, due to my impatience. That’s a further story to tell later if anyone is interested. Let me know if anyone is!

It was fortunate that the extra fuel was available, as it took over …SIX…!!!!!! gallons to make it 22 miles, in about 50 minutes, on the Rotax 503 twin carb, due to head winds and thermals!

After rising above the outskirts of Estacada, I headed for Highland Butte on the horizon. It’s situated southwest of there, and was a landmark along the path I had plotted to Lenhardt’s airstrip.

I saw rain squalls off to my right about 3-4 miles away, headed in my direction. Just about then, around 700’ up, the turbulence started. I was amazed at the gusts and how quickly the rain squall got to my location.
I had flown in mostly calm winds in my learning stage, so this was disconcerting, as the machine started getting buffeted not only from the side of the rain squall, but from ALL sides!

I continued on, which was...(MISTAKE #2: What's in front of you may not be safer than what you know is behind you), seeing lighter skies ahead. If I only could get out of this system.

I should have turned around and landed back at the airport.

The old saying for pilots came to mind, as I wished I was then on the ground, instead of up in the air.

I had learned of the stability of the autogyro over many other aircraft, and believed that w/ a little bit of perseverance; I would be able to escape in to calmer skies. Good idea, but it took awhile!

The windscreen/fairing of the Vancraft/Sport Copter is great for when you get caught in a rain, as well as let’s you fly in colder weather w/out the air sucking all the heat out of your body. One just scrunches one’s shoulder’s inward a bit and one doesn’t get wet at all!

The rotorblade performance seems about the same as in dry conditions. (These were 23’ white Skywheels).
I hope others are learning from this novice’s mistakes!

Soon, the rain squalls were behind, but not the rest of the weather system. It wasn’t done w/ me yet.

I was comfortable flying around 600’-800’ of altitude. Any higher, and I was afraid of getting run over by other aircraft that is supposed to maintain 1000’ above the ground. I have a few other stories about that point.

I started encountering extreme updrafts that made me want to revert back to my limited fixed-wing tail-dragger experience of SHOVING THE STICK FORWARD to lower the nose to avoid going way up.

I had read in ROTORCRAFT magazine over the years, as well as in other publications, to not do this if I didn’t want to end my life. I have much more years planned in flying gyros, as well as other aircraft, so I held the stick still in cruise position and backed off the throttle whenever another severe updraft took me on the fastest elevator I’ve been on.

It is amazing how much the arm wants to shove that stick forward quickly, as the brain is shouting @ it to do so. Imagine the fastest elevator you’ve been on, the kind that make your knees start to buckle a little when it catches you unaware as it goes up, and double or triple that!

This is the one weak part about the autogyro. One cannot shove the stick hard forward like this, particularly when you are suddenly light in your seat (less than 1 g) as the rotorblades might become unloaded and cause them to rapidly lose their flight speed and flap, causing a tumble from the sky w/out any known way of recovery.

These thermals were making me light in the seat near the top of them. In the space of several seconds, I had shot what seemed to be straight up. I had no variometer, but the ground had stopped moving away behind me, and was moving down. It is the opposite of a vertical descent, my most favorite maneuver in a gyro.

The altimeter showed my gaining about 500’ above where I had been. After the machine had flown through the thermal, and I slowly lowered the nose and flew back down in altitude until hit w/ the next one.

This is where I probably flew most of the time in getting to Lenhardt’s. Up, and then down. This happened over and over again. It got to be routine. There had to been about 40 of them. I soon learned to relax my death grip on the stick and on the seat frame, holding the stick lightly like before.

Subsequent flights over this same terrain took a fraction of the time this one did.

I soon exited the thermals as I neared Highland Butte. Flying directly over it, I saw fir trees all around it, as seen from the roads nearby, and on top there was a small crater also w/ fir trees in it. It appears to be an old volcano cone like the ones scattered around the Portland area (Mt. Tabor, Kelly Butte, Rocky Butte, and Grant Butte).

I’d heard stories of lava caves around the butte that area farmers told about. These caves have supposedly been dynamited shut to prevent anyone from getting hurt exploring them. Those having been around lava know of the very sharp edges it has.

After descending from the rolling hills, I followed Barnhart Road to Lenhardt’s. The wind was coming out of the southwest rather briskly as I tried first crabbing into it, then angling the rotorblades into it.

I settled on crabbing into it, as w/ the angling, such as you do when landing in a crosswind, is more tiring to me when the wind hits you in gusts or suddenly stops, and you have to constantly adjust your rotor disc. Would someone more knowledgeable tell me if you could fly faster by angling the rotorblades than crabbing into the wind??

The farmlands and folk’s homes flew by underneath me. The constant amazement I feel when flying by the scenery is what feeds my desire to fly again and again.

Another neat thing to see from the air is watching a gyro take off below. First, the rotorblade is spinning slowly around; looking like it doesn’t want to go any faster. Then is begins to speed up, going faster and faster until it becomes almost a blur, at which time you see it come up toward you as the pilot lifts off. It’s exciting to see that, compared to watching a plane slowly lift off and climb out.

Jim Vanek has probably seen that a lot from the air. I know he has seen at least one, if not more, ground loops of beginning gyro fliers while flying around his home field. It probably is just as interesting to watch the rotorblades suddenly stopping also. The one I know about that Jim saw from the air was another guy in our co-owned gyro who got too much airspeed while taxiing and lifted off a few feet and immediately was crabbed. He panicked and chopped the throttle.

Arriving @ Lenhardt’s, I noticed the windsock straight down the runway, much to my delight. I had already enjoyed playing in
straight-down-the-runway winds, taking off and landing w/ little ground speed. Even flying backwards is fun, but it is harder to have @ least 40 MPH IAS, in case of engine failure, to have sufficient airspeed for a flare to land when flying backwards.

I was getting ready to land, when I saw Bob Johnson and others trotting out from Jack’s clubhouse. He signaled me to go around w/ emphatic movements. I wondered the reason why, as I couldn’t see any other aircraft in the pattern area and the runway looked clear of any people or animals.
I circled around scanning for any of these problems and came back in and landed.

I asked Bob "Why the signal?", and he told me that there were some guys there that hadn’t seen a gyro fly/land/takeoff before!

Darrel Conklin had trailered his gyro in to the meeting to do some more runway taxiing. We had all seen Darrel and John Flenna do scads of that over the past few years, balancing on the mains.

Some of us were conjecturing that they would never do anymore than that. They both have since lifted off and have done quite well flying their gyros. Both I believe have never damaged their gyros, especially their rotorblades, something many of us gyro fliers have done, me included (another story).

That is pretty admirable since I recall that John had no flight experience before gyros, only learning through the coaching from Scott Malone prior to and after getting his two-place trainer up and running.
Darrel. I believe, has some fixed-wing experience.

That day, Darrel did his first lift off (more than just a few inches like @ Scappoose where they hangar together), flying 10’ or so off the runway in many series of crow hops. He said that he just powered up his 583 Rotax (snowmobile version of the 582), w/ it’s some 100 horses.

It was neat to see the big smile on his face after he landed and then went back up. I think that winds down the runway make an excellent way for the gyro beginner to experience flight close to the ground w/out much ground speed.

The chapter meeting and lunch over, I flew back towards Estacada. The winds were still 20+, maybe even 30 MPH. I like to fly along about 60 IAS, so I figured my groundspeed was 80-90. It was great, after the slowness of the arriving flight. The total fuel used flying back was about half of what going out used.

I saw storm clouds in my intended path home, so I decided to skirt over to the north, over the Molalla area, as it looked clearer that way. Crossing Molalla airport, I headed northeast to the left of some hills blocking my view of the Estacada area. Going around them, I saw the Estacada/Clackamas River area looked socked in by the clouds that I did not like the looks of.
MISTAKE #3 did not happen!!!!

I turned around to go back and land @ Molalla. It was still in sight.
I tied down outside and came all the way back the next day and flew our little magic flying carpet back home to Estacada. It was a much more lovely day for flying.

Flying the autogyro is a special experience. It is unlike flying in a fixed-wing aircraft. The visibility is MUCH greater; the flying sensation is more in tune w/ the human body, like flying powered parachutes or fixed wing ultralights.

Driving in a car is about the same as flying regular fixed wings. Riding around on a motorcycle compares favorably w/ flying a gyro. Perhaps that’s why some call it the motorcycle of the sky.

(Photo at Lenhardt's Airstrip at another time) was taken by a digital camera, taken of a newsletter photo, explaining the grainy look!

Attachments

• Flying Stories Till Winter Ends!
    GyroKevin3.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Enjoyable reading Kevin. This could be submitted for insertion in the PRA mag?!

Thank you.

Cheers :)

Kevin. What a great story! You write very well. I agree, you should write for aviation magazines. Thanks for the story. :D

Harry_S. said:
Enjoyable reading Kevin. This could be submitted for insertion in the PRA mag?!

Thank you.

Cheers :)

Harry & Larry:

It WAS submitted to ROTORCRAFT mag when it was written, along with a couple more, and was ignored. No response, no polite rejection, nothing...

This was NOT under Rick Gilley's watch, though, but one of the prior editors.

The comments in recent years about ROTORCRAFT magazine has been that the readership want more technical content.

FLY GYRO! (in England) printed it, and in the same issue I believe was another great article by DR. Ralph Taggert.

I believe that I heard something about how PRA membership/ROTORCRAFT numbers went up significantly whenever his articles about gyros were published in KITPLANES magazine...

If you wish to read some other stories that I wrote (as well as others in our chapter, such as Gary Kaminski and of his RAF 2000 build and flying stories), they're available online at the PRA Chapter 73 website under the past newsletters. You don't need a password to access that section of the website. www.pra73.net

There are several that explain in detail about my four emergency landings, and about how three of them were my own stupid fault. I wrote them to help others who might read and learn from my errors and hopefully not have them happen to themelves. Also, they're how a gyrocopter can successfully land with little to no damage (IN AN ENGINE OUT SITUATION) due to it's nature of short-to-none-forward landing speed.

A disclaimer here: One of the several stories I wrote was fiction, whereas the rest are true. I wrote the fiction one as if I had a dream right after Iraq was invaded last year and why the mighty Iraqi military machine did so little to resist the infidels (because of the existence of a squadron of 50,000 armed gyrocopters). It mentions Jim Vanek and Sport Copter and caused a bit of a stir among our local chapter members, because it was fiction (translate here: not-true).

So, I repeat: The stuff about Jim Vanek and Sport Copter in that story are not true. I used them because of their unique part of gyro-dom, his flying characteristics. I set the story as if it were a strange dream possibly explaining the quick fall of Iraq.

Last edited:
I personally feel that Rotorcraft mag needs both technical info as well as flying stories that make your heart race and wish to be up there in the air in one of these magic carpets.

I don't have any technical knowledge to contribute (at least not yet...but I do have something in the works), so flying stories are all I have to put into the pot for now.

Last edited:
To heck with the stories, I'm going flying this afternoon! WooHoo!

I would like to see more stories in the mag.

Hey Scott!! You get to go flying and then you don't report your adventure. How selfish can you get! take a minute and tell us how it went. It is cold as
---- in Pa so make us northern gyro heads fell the warm breeze.An uneventful flight may be a norm but till spring, inquiring minds want to know the scoop. :p

Larry: I have a story about my first flight to Mentone and back in my Air Command.

In 2003 I had long awaited my 121 mile flight to Mentone. I had an Air Command with a pod....and had a dependable 582. I remember my wife Barb taking me to the airport with my duffle bag all loaded for the trip over. She was very hesitant to say the least in giving me much encouragement over this long trip. You have to understand where she was coming from....she has known nothing but hearing about all my engine outs and having to go get my gyro from who knows where. !8 times to be exact. Now that I had finally had enough and switched engines...that still didnt convince her. She just as soon I hopped in the truck and drove over. She gave me a hug and commented that my life insurance better be good. :eek:

I remember putting my duffle bag in the pod and stowing in under my knees. I was not going to be able to move my legs but one inch side to side for the whole trip. Anyway....I was soon off and headed toward Monticello, Ind...for my scheduled fuel stop. After leaving the airport...I brought up Monticello on my GPS and checked my time for arrival....I love that GPS as I always time my fuel burn...and with the readouts showing my time to arrival...it was just a matter of burning off my side tanks for one hour...then having a full seat tank to go the rest of the way.

I had about a 10 mph headwind and was indicating 50-52 groundspeed....I had about 75 miles to go to Monticello...so I had plenty of reserve. Had I had a little bit of a tailwind...I could have made it nonstop to Mentone....as all I had to average was 61 mph groundspeed...and I would have enough fuel with reserve. This wasnt the case so I was soon at Monticello airport getting topped off. My next leg was about 45 miles to Mentone and I taxiid to 36...pre-rotated,,,made my radio announcement and started my take off roll. I saw a twin engine plane turning left base for 18...he just came out of the blue...and was landing downwind. I did not hear him radio....I aborted my takeoff and pulled off on a taxiway as he made his approach and landing.

I am kind of used to seeing this..I commented on the radio that I failed to hear him announce his downwind landing. I got no comment back.. .so I just went ahead and departed for Mentone. I had to get to around 2500 feet above ground as I had to cross a lake that was nearby enroute to Mentone. I had to make sure should I have an engine out that I could glide to either side. I was crossing the lake into that 10 mph headwind...so I was computing in my head how far past half way across the lake would be my point of dead sticking straight ahead...or doing a 180 deadstick and returning to the downwind side of the lake. I figured about 2/3 across the lake would be my point that I would deadstick on across should I have an engine out.

I guess with all my engine outs....I am not very confident with my engines I have owned. Anyway....it was uneventful and I was having a ball watching my GPS showing I was closing in on Mentone. It was a rush for certain to see the sun glistening off several rotors ten miles ahead of me. I never will forget that feeling...it seemed so cool to be a part of such a great sport. I loved my little Air Command....even if it was a tight fit in that pod. I felt like I had made a trip to the moon when I touched down. I will go to my grave with that memory.

Had a good time at Mentone...then two days later I was up early getting ready for my departure back home. Like I could have guessed...I was going to have some good headwinds going back home. I heard an early morning pilot commenting on the 30 mph winds aloft. I thought it wasnt that bad and departed. I had my destination to Monticello already dialed in as I knew I would have to top off with fuel.....but I could not believe my GPS groundspeed readings. They were 30-34 mph. I thought...my God ...I am going to have a four hour flight home. My first leg was no problem as I had 45 miles and even though I was only going 30 groundspeed....ther hour and a half flight would still have plenty of fuel aboard.

This is where my GPS is such a useful tool. I had stored all the airports nearby in it and when I was nearing Monticello...I was computing a second fuel stop as I would not be able to make the 75 milel final leg to Paxton. My best plan was to fly to Kentland, Ind.....which was about 42 miles....and only a few degrees of course change.

So...I fueled up at Monticello.....set my GPS to guide me to Kentland and off I went. I arrived there about 1 hour and 20 minutes...and fueled up a second time. Now my last leg to Paxton was entered and it was also around 42 miles.

It was uneventful...except for getting a little cramped in that tight pod.

I got so tired of watching the same cows as I s-l-o-w-l-y made my way home across Indiana and into Illinois.

My wife was waiting to pick me up at the airport.....she didnt realize how much difference a headwind makes.

I never will forget that trip....and the next year I flew my RAF2000 to Mentone 2004. I may type that story later..

Stan

Stan: Never having met you, I feel like I know you through your posts about your flying!
Thanks for the time you spend writing them!
I really do enjoy hearing about your engine-outs (in your past life with the Rotax on the Air Command), changing your rotorblades on your RAF 2000, seeing the scenery there in Illinois, etc.

THANKS!!!!

Kevin: Ok...you asked for it...another story... :D

This time last year I was just finishing my RAF2000. I can remember all those hours working on it in my shop...not being 100% sure if I was creating a monster or what. I had read so much negative press on the RAF but on the other hand I also was in contact with several RAF2000 pilots that assured me if I had a stab on it...I would be fine. Anyway had I known one year ago what I know now....the building process would have been extra fun.

I can remember sitting in it dreaming of flying to Mentone 2004. I just thought that would be so neat going over in that much more roomier cabin...and doing it non stop.

The last day of Febuary saw Tom Milton come down and do the airworthiness certificate. I now could start flying off my 40 hours and get rid of that 25 mile FAA dog leash....thus letting me fly my RAF to Mentone.

Little did I know that I would have accumulated over 75 hours actual in air time before my departure to Mentone. This flight was going to have more support from my wife Barb as she had seen that I had a machine now that acted like it wanted to run forever.

So...I was anticipating my flight to Mentone 2004 and was planning to stay four days. That was until July 13th came and one of the biggest storms ever swept through Illinois. I was in my stairshop when two tornados came through my woods....just missing my shop by 100 feet. However....one tree collapsed my roof as I was crawling underneath my workbench scrambling for cover. I was on my cell phone with my wife and I never will forget the freight train sound and that ceiling coming in on me. After the storm passed...I went outside and my world was upside down literally. Barb and I finally found out each was ok...as the power was out...I could not contact her by cellphone.... I never will forget the neighbor finally getting her down to my shop. We hugged and were so thankful no one was hurt. The shop could be replaced and I knew I would build it bigger and better.

But....Mentone 2004??? FORGET IT....that was the last thing on my mind. It was only ten days away and no way would I have this mess cleaned up by then. I had posted my disappointing news about not going to Mentone and showed some pictures why. I never will forget Tom Milton e-mailing me and offering to fly clear down to Paxton...pick me up and fly me to Mentone and bring me back. I got a tear in my eye reading that generous off from that nice guy ...so....after ten days of hard work....I thought the least I could do for myself is fly my RAF over for two days as I needed a break bigtime.

Ok...sorry,...now I can get to my Mentone 2004 flight.

Barb was much more confident this time as she took me to the airport for this flight. I now had an enclosed cabin...cellphone that I can update my progress while enroute...a dependable machine and she just said to call her when I got there. Usually she would say "dont call telling me you are down in some field" :eek:

I had all my GPS co-ordinates stored and ready for any change of plans. I was going to make this non stop.....but only if my GPS indicated at least 60 mph groundspeed. I was again flying into a headwind and as soon as I departed... my GPS was showing 56-58 mph. I could have made it non-stop with my legal reserve...but with only that. So..a quick few button presses and I was doing a course change for Monticello, Ind....just like the previous years flight in my Air Command. It was a nice flight with 10-15 mph headwinds.

I had left at daybreak and was flying into the rising sun. I was just about 2 degrees off course from being directly into the sun....and was using that fireball as my dead reckoning part of my navigation. Of course my GPS kept me right on track...but it was interesting to use the sun as navigation. I could tell that as the sun rose...I had to keep heading more to the left of it every 15 minutes of flight.

My GPS guided me right to Monticello and I topped off. I really enjoyed flying inside that cabin. I had my duffel bag on the floor on the passenger side....had a water bottle and snacks on the seat...my cd player wired in and I was really comfortable making this trip. I could not get over the feeling of having leg room...being able to let go of the controls to do whatever...take pictures...change cd's..and just watch the Indiana territory roll under me.

My next leg was right into Mentone and directly into the wind. My groundspeed was barely 55 now....but I only had 45 miles to go. Once again...about ten miles out I could see that telltale sign of flickering rotors ahead. I touched down and even though it was a rush again to have made it to Mentone....nothing will top my first flight in my Air Command.

I stayed just overnight and had a good time visiting with friends for two days. I probably appeared to be like a steer that had been hit in the head with a 2x4 after that storm experience...but I needed this getaway.

It was real windy both days I was there and mostly cross winds. I was having fun flying and the time went so fast. I soon found myself departing back to Paxton. This time however.....I had one freakin tail wind. I knew it was going to be non stop to Paxton 121 miles away...but I never realized how fast a flight it would be. I initially set up my south westerly course and my GPS was indicating 95 mph. I went up to 4500 feet to milk out even stronger winds and ones that turned directly behind me. I was enjoying 104-108 mph groundspeed readouts on my GPS. I could not believe in one hour and 15 minutes I was on the ground.

I am looking forward to returning to Menone 2005 with my RAF2000 with my Sportcopter blades. Had I had those blades on for this flight with their 10-12 actual average groundspeed gain, it would have been very easy to have made my flight over non-stop and with an hour reserve instead of just making it with the required one half hour reserve. Then what really would have been interesting was while enroute home...seeing those 104-108 mph readings being 10-12 mph faster yet.

I am anticipating Mentone 2005 more than ever as I want to stay 4 days this time. Something tells me that this will happen and I can write another story. :) Oh...I can make it non-stop even with a 20 mph headwind now so I should not be mentioning a fuel stop. :D

Stan

Last edited:
Stan, What a great winter lifter upper.Thanks for the story!!! I can't wait for this snow and cold to leave and fly both my RAFs in the Spring.
I have a story where my private pilot training came in to play. I had left Morgantown for a 26 mile trip to a fly in luncheon in Kutztown. I had forgot my GPS(dah!) but thought what the heck, I know the trip like the back of my hand. I arrived no problem. I stayed most of the day ,but it started to get hazy. I started the trip back home and the wind had picked up. I always keep the cooling towers of the Pottstown nuclear plant on my left anf the cooling tower at the power plant in REading on my right. Steer between them and over two ridges and there is the field. Well the haze was so bad I could not see the tower on the right. I kept flying the heading I always took, but things started to look different than what I usually see. I flew for a half hour longer than what I usually take to get to Morgantown hopeing to see something familiar.I called Reading Regional to see if they could give me a directional heading off my radio signal. They referred me to Philadelphia INt. I remembered the three C's. Climb , Confess and Comply. I called the Phia tower and said I was not declaring an emergency but was misplaced. The lady controller ask me if I had a transponder. I affirmed I did and she gave me a squak code. She said I know where you are. I ask her to give me a vector to Morgantown.I was blown way off course while following the heading I always took. With out good ground references, I got lost, oops, misplaced.
I was 31 miles misplaced! I turned around to the new heading and the controller ask me if I wanted her to keep radar on me till I hit my destination. One other note, It was getting dark. She kept track of me right up to where she said to me Morgantown is directly ahead 2 miles. I thanked her. I must have looked like a flying christmas tree in the air. I had the landing lights, nav lights, and instrument lights on. I made a very dusk landing and was glad to be back safely. Many times during the lost part of my story, I thought about landing and asking someone where I was. One other thing I will mention. I was just under the outer limits of the class A airspace for Phia Int. Not good. The moral of the story is always take your nav aids if flying more than 5 miles from you airport, and never let your ego get in the way of admitting you have a problem and need help. Remember the 3 c's.

Plus you can't use a heading straight to your destination, have to crab to make up for the wind.

Stan and the Gang

Stan and the Gang

I have to tell you guys that I really enjoy reading your posts. I've been so involved with my business that I have neglected my gyro.

I was taking flying instruction from Duane Hunn last October when I had a slight accident with a hanger. It cracked the windshield and the front of the fiberglass cabin. I have repaired and repainted the cablin and now I have to install the new windshield. I also have a few additional modifications I will make at this time. I hope to have the gyro ready for flying In April. I will then continue my training with Duane. My plan is to fly my gyro to Mentone this year. I hope to experience the same feelings that Stan did on his first flight.

I'm really looking forward to flying my RAF-2000 and I hope to become more involved in the gyro community if my business will allow.

Bob McGuire

Bob: I will be looking for you at Mentone. Good luck with your flying. The RAF's a fun machine to fly.

Stan

Bob:

If I, or we, can help you in any way...Please just ask. ;)

Cheers.