FATAL - Cavalon G-CKYT, near Avoch, Scotland, UK 12 NOV 2020

IEither overloaded because an aircraft with correct and acceptable engineering was flown far beyond something that may be required to be able to withstand or not. Of course if it is the later the remedy has a lot of consequences.
It would, wouldn't it?

Our AAIB still has not issued a final report in over three years regarding the November 2020 rotorhead separation from Cavalon G-CKYT in Scotland. The AAIB every anniversary reiterates, "The investigation is focused on understanding the circumstances which led to the rotor head separating in flight."

Last edited:
I understand that the report has been done they just need to go through the process of giving it to the involved parties ahead of publication. No insight to the findings but I suspect it will be unremarkable and they will focus upon some strange mishandling by the pilot that allows some excuse for the rotor separation. I’ll bet £1 that mishandling in yaw is the flavour of month as per the world air games fatal (although of course no rotor separation there…)

I understand that the report has been done they just need to go through the process of giving it to the involved parties ahead of publication. No insight to the findings but I suspect it will be unremarkable and they will focus upon some strange mishandling by the pilot that allows some excuse for the rotor separation. I’ll bet £1 that mishandling in yaw is the flavour of month as per the world air games fatal (although of course no rotor separation there…)
The "process of giving it to the involved parties ahead of publication" requires over three years? Well.

I'll pass on your bet, as I don't like to lose even £1. AutoGyro has a known history of blaming mechanical failures on aggressive piloting. "Mishandling in yaw" would be a new excuse for them, however.

The "process of giving it to the involved parties ahead of publication" requires over three years? Well.

I'll pass on your bet, as I don't like to lose even £1. AutoGyro has a known history of blaming mechanical failures on aggressive piloting. "Mishandling in yaw" would be a new excuse for them, however.

I can understand that a very hard skid could start to unload the rotor and in a gyroplane there is simply no reason to perform a hard skid or even a hard slip

I can understand that a very hard skid could start to unload the rotor and in a gyroplane there is simply no reason to perform a hard skid or even a hard slip
Is there any evidence that G-CKYT performed a hard skid or hard slip, or are you just speculating on how its rotor could have been unloaded?

Is there any evidence that G-CKYT performed a hard skid or hard slip, or are you just speculating on how its rotor could have been unloaded?
Can there be truly hard evidence of a slip or skid without a video? But there could be evidence of unloaded rotor in the aftermath