Another Santa Paula Adventure!

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Staff member
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2600+ in rotorcraft
I was excited about flying to Santa Paula for open hangar day so during the night I kept checking for weather. It looked like Saturday was going to be a perfect day to fly.

I kissed Ed goodbye at 8:20 and made my way across the fields to the airport top down, heater and Hank blasting with a sweat shirt for warmth.

The preflight went well and I called Lockheed Martin for a 10:00 departure. I requested a standard VFR briefing for SMX to CMA via SBA for fuel.

There was very little wind but 6 miles visibility along the coast from mist.

Santa Ynez and Lompoc were both IFR and I was not starting with a full tank for the 115 statute mile trip so a gas stop at Santa Barbara where self serve is $.72 a gallon less than full serve at SMX seemed prudent.

Things went as things do and I fired The Predator up at 10:20, checked ATIS, filled out my departure sheet and called ground.

The airport was unusually busy and ground told me “Experimental 142 Mike Golf, runway 30, taxi via Alpha, follow the 172 established on Alpha.”

Before we reached the run up area there were two aircraft behind us. I did not taxi as fast as the other aircraft and I did not like being a hold up.

Every wind sock I could see was flaccid as we taxied to runway 30 full length.

When we got to the run up area I was the only one to do a magneto check and run up. Run up went well as the three departed; I set the transponder to mode C and changed to tower frequency.

“Experimental gyroplane 142 Mike Golf, ready for departure request left downwind to the East.”

“Experimental 142 Mike Golf, hold short for landing traffic.”

It is amazing how much better people land when the wind is not gusting.

Then the magic words that is the prelude to a flying adventure; “Experimental 142 Mike Golf, Left downwind approved, Runway 30 clear for takeoff!”

Without wind the take off was more leisurely but the climb out was nice. We headed over the vineyards toward the Gaviota Pass climbing slowly toward 2,000 feet MSL.

As we wandered across the hills the moisture felt cool on my face. The air smelled fresh and clean.

The air had a creamy smooth quality to it, no bumps. The GPS ground speed was never more than a couple of kts divergent from the indicated air speed.

I pointed her nose at a distant hill and that is where she went as the vineyards passed beneath us.

As we climbed over the hills the countryside became a little wilder with cattle grazing peacefully on the rugged hillsides.

I have not been through the Gaviota pass in a long time and I forgot how much I love the experience.

We wind between the steep rock walls and suddenly are thrust out over the coast at 2,000 feet AGL. There were still no bumps in the sky and this is where three weather systems come together often resulting in the most amazing turbulence.

I pointed her east and Santa Barbara (SBA) was hidden in the mist just ninteen miles away.

The rock wall was to our left and Pacific Ocean on our right. The Chanel Islands looked mysterious in the mist.

I checked the Santa Barbara ATIS and then tuned in the correct frequency for Santa Barbara Approach from the West.

I have not landed at Santa Barbara’s class C airport for a while so it was time to tune up my skills.

“Santa Barbara Approach, experimental gyroplane 142 Mike Golf with Papa, 19 miles to the west, descending through 2,000 feet, inbound to land.”

“Experimental 142 Mike Golf squawk 0176.”

I wrote it down and then repeated; “Experimental 142 Mike Golf squawk 0176.” I fumbled with the transponder counting the clicks and then looked to check my work.

Approach was busy and when he got back to me it was “Experimental 2 Mike Golf, radar contact established 18 miles west of Santa Barbara. Follow the 101 and expect a right base entry for runway 15 right.”

I was slowly descending at 75kts indicated air speed with enough power in to make 70kts. I was trying to be at the 990 foot pattern altitude five miles from the runway.

Ten miles out approach turned me over to the tower. I already had the tower frequency on the flip flop and dialed in ground on the flip flop as I checked in with the tower; “Experimental 142 Mike Golf, report a 3mile base for 15 right.”

There was some opposite direction traffic for 15 left and we were number two behind the Cessna on right down wind for 15 right. “Experimental 142 Mike Golf, right downwind traffic in sight, number two behind the Cessna, 15 right clear to land.”

We remained high till over the fence and then initiated a steep descent toching down at the entrance to Hotel and were quickly off. I took pleasure in my improved skills as a pilot. This used to seem like a challenge, now it is an anticipated joy.

I was to contact Ground and I stabbed at the flip flop. “Santa Barbara Ground, Experimental Gyroplane 142 Mike Golf, Taxiway Hotel at 15 Right, taxi to self serve.”

“Experimental 142 Mike Golf, Hotel to Charlie self serve on your right.”

As I pulled up to the pumps I marveled at my progress. Not long ago landing at SBA seemed like a battle; today it all seemed natural and straight forward. I don’t know how to describe the feeling of accomplishment and as I write about the experience it seems petty. I found it adelightful experience.

Thank you, Vance

Attachments

• Another Santa Paula Adventure!
    2.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 0
    3.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 0
    4.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 0
    1.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 0
    5.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 0
    6.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 0
    7.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 0
    8.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 0
Santa Paula Adventure

Santa Paula Adventure

Vance,

Your ability in inspire continues to amaze me. In all of the years I've flown, now almost 50, I continue to be inspired by your musings. I look forward to a new posting as you have such a great gift for relating the joys you experience with the Predator. I feel as though I should thank you for a great flight, as your manner of gifting the adventure to others makes me feel as if I were along for the ride.

Soooo...thank you for a great flight.

Glen Proter; You are a Giant!

Glen Proter; You are a Giant!

People like you continue to inspire me.

Thank you for your service to our country and your ongoing dedication and service to aviation.

Recently a friend here on the forum thanked me for the radio calls because it helped him on his learning to fly a helicopter adventure so I included more. As a designated examiner for Tower controller you must find my struggles with ATC relevant.

From the very beginning of my solo gyroplane adventure I felt that I had a friend in ATC; watching my back and helping to expand my gyroplane adventure. When I keyed the mike to ATC it released a flood of insecurity that was compounded by my ignorance and inevitable mistakes.

Santa Barbara was the first class C airport I flew into when a head wind created what I felt was a low fuel challenge. I was wholly unprepared and knew nothing about the added complexity. At the time there were two fuel vendors on the field and I had to pick one. My facilities guide did not have the taxiways labeled. My “unfamiliar” garnered little help. I was no longer a student so I could not use that as an excuse for my ignorance.

SBA is a teaching tower for TRACON and it seemed that some controllers tried to hide their ignorance behind truculent commands.

I do not have the words to describe my frustration and embarrassment as I struggled through the experience. I realized that there number one goal was to get me off their facility without having to fill out a report so I simply didn’t move until I understood the instructions. I did not understand the departure directions from clearance delivery and struggled mightily to get my read back correct.

For the next SBA experience I was more prepared but it was still a painful experience. I have met with the tower and had several lengthy discussions with the Tower Boss. Even though it was four years ago I remember the pain vividly; now when it goes well I have the elation of a person who was stopped beating their head painfully against the wall. When the positive ATC experience is combined with a well executed precise landing and quick exit at the taxiway I experience ecstasy.

I would be grateful if you would correct me when I describe poor radio communications because there are some on the forum that imagine because I deal with ATC so often I know what I am doing. I am still learning on every flight. I continue to be amazed at how hard most controllers try to help me to enjoy a safe flight. At the less busy facilities they often call me by name and wish me well.

When I climbed up to 12,800 feet over Oceano; I told Santa Barbara Approach what I was doing and after asking about oxygen at 12,000 feet they would cheer each time I would gain another hundred feet.

When I reach the limits of my flying skills it seems they are always there to help the wayward pilot tossed on a sea of ignorance.

I am practicing to write a book. I used to try to get the adventures out like a newspaper reporter. I found if I slow down a little I learn more about writing so there will be at least two more legs on this adventure. Life and more flying slow things down.

I love to share the joy I found on this lovely cross country flight! Thank you for your kind words. I am glad to have you along. I hope someday we can fly somewhere together. I am certain you could teach me a lot Glen.

Thank you, Vance

Santa Barbara was the first class C airport I flew into when a head wind created what I felt was a low fuel challenge. I was wholly unprepared and knew nothing about the added complexity. At the time there were two fuel vendors on the field and I had to pick one. My facilities guide did not have the taxiways labeled. My “unfamiliar” garnered little help. I was no longer a student so I could not use that as an excuse for my ignorance.

Vance I am sure you remember that if you areat an unfamiliar towered airport that you can request" progresive taxi" and the tower will give turn by turn instructions as you reach each intercsction.

The pilgrim is doing well for himself!

I was not at the top of my game!

I was not at the top of my game!

Vance I am sure you remember that if you areat an unfamiliar towered airport that you can request" progresive taxi" and the tower will give turn by turn instructions as you reach each intercsction.

The pilgrim is doing well for himself!

Thank you Jeff, I understand that now.

I asked for progressive taxi but not in the correct way.

I was a very low time pilot that had just been frightened by 20kt ground speed from a head wind and descending fuel level indicators.

I was a low time pilot who had the love of his life in the back seat.

I was a low time pilot who was too ignorant to declare a fuel emergency and no real knowledge of what empty looked like.

I was someone who did not know how The Predator would respond to low fuel when I dropped the nose to descend.

ATC had run us over the shoreline and harbor for the last 15 minutes of the flight and canceled my clearance twice for regional jets.

I was not at the top of my game.

The painful memories allow me to find bliss when things go well with the tower at SBA.

I later met one of the controllers and he knew every one of the seven times I had been through their air space.

That “guy with the gyroplane” was the subject of conversation and jokes at the Elephant Bar after work.

It was worse that I imagined.

Because of this experience I have a map with taxiways on the back of my radio call sheets and can follow the taxi instructions with my wet erase.

I use two call sheets for class Charlie airports.

I found the airport map particularly helpful on the next leg when talking to clearance delivery.

Thank you, Vance

Halfway!

Halfway!

As the Vance flies we were just about half way to Camarillo (CMA).

After I was finished with the afterglow I filled The Predator up and used the facilities.

It would be after 13:00 before I would sit down to eat so I ate a packet of beef jerky so I wouldn’t be too hungry and order a big lunch at the Waypoint Café.

I called clearance delivery from self serve for a departure to the East from runway 25 and he gave me all the instructions for a departure from 15 right. There was no interrupting him. I explained that I don’t fly over the water and repeated my request for runway 25.

“Experimental 142 Mike Golf would a runway 25 intersection departure from Mike work for you?”

I looked at my airport map and decided I had plenty of runway before the two story warehouses on the departure end of 25.

He gave me a squawk code and I was to make a right downwind intersection departure from Runway 25 at Mike and contact departure on 125.4. My read back was correct and I called Ground for a taxi from self serve to runway 25 at taxiway Mike.

“Experimental 142 Mike Golf, Charlie, Hotel, right on Mike to runway 25.”

I repeated the instructions and headed on my way to 25 at Mike.

The magneto check went well and I called the Tower marveling at the communication between clearance delivery, ground, tower and departure.

“Experimental 142 Mike Golf, runway 25 clear for an intersection departure at Mike.”

The tower told me to contact departure and when I did she sounded very tense as she asked me my altitude. I was climbing through 1,500 feet.

I flew toward the hills before turning east to stay out of the traffic pattern for 15 right and 15 left.

I heard the potential collision alarm when she said; “Experimental 2 Mike Golf turn left 90 degrees and remain north of the 101, opposite direction inbound traffic for 15 left. Report traffic in sight.”

I made a quick left and looked off to my right. At our three o’clock low there was a twin who had not followed the directions to follow the 101 for a base entry for 15 left and was instead making a wide base entry. I reported traffic in sight. As the terrain began to rise faster than we were climbing departure came back and asked my intentions. So much for their seamless communications. We were at 2,000 feet so I said; “Experimental 2 Mike Golf right down wind departure to the east at 2,000 feet.” “Experimental 2 Mike Golf resume own navigation.”

Someone asked for traffic advisories and she barked; “THIS IS NOT A GOOD TIME!!!”

It appeared to me that something was blocking runway 15 left because aircraft began to circle the field in a haphazard way. I checked the preliminary accident reports this morning and there was nothing listed at SBA but the paper had a Cirrus crash on Friday between 15 left and 15 right so they may have been clearing it Saturday.

Radar services were terminated just ten miles out and I was to squawk VFR. Frequency change was approved.

After the chaos the joy of the calm summer flight began to sink in. I love the rugged hills to our left and the blue pacific on our right.

I had been too busy to pull out the Camera and wanted to get a picture of the Channel Islands in the Mist. I find something enchanting about the way they look as if floating on a cloud.

The mist is very confusing; I took a picture straight down from 2,000 feet of the 101 winding next to the seashore. With the sun shining off the water I would not guess about the mist and yet the Channel Islands are not that far off shore. ATIS still had visibility six miles in mist.

I checked the ATIS for Camarillo from twenty miles out and began listening to Camarillo’s ATC. They were busy but were not turning anyone away.

I remained at 2,000 feet and practiced watching the hill tops in relation to things in the distance to determine if I was high enough to clear the hills. If things in the distance move down in relation to the hilltops I am high enough if they are still or move up I need more altitude. This is part of the iterative process of learning for me. I need to practice to make something work so I headed over the hills being careful to have enough altitude to find a flat place to land.

The system worked well leaving me in a better place to skirt the Oxnard (OXR) airspace that abuts CMA’s.

The wind was picking up a little and we caught some lift over the ridgeline.

I cleared the final ridge and pulled the power back to descend over Ventura to 877 feet. I love the way the feel and sound of The Predator changes in a glide.

I called the Camarillo Tower over the Saticoy Bridge. I was to make right traffic and report a two mile forty five. They had trouble getting my call sign right and told traffic at my six to look for an experimental Biplane inbound showing 900 feet. Before I could report I heard; “Experimental Biplane 142 Mike Golf runway 26 clear to land number two behind the Piper on a left down wind. Report in sight.” I moved the microphone hard against my lips and said in my best pilot’s voice: “Experimental G-Y-R-O-PLANE 142 Mike Golf runway 26 clear to land number two behind the Piper turning base, traffic is sight.” I was abeam the tower when I heard; “sorry, experimental GYROPLANE 142 Mike Golf, runway 26 clear to land. Short approach please, I have a Barron on a 3 mile final.”

This was my excuse to show off so I dove for the runway at 85kts with a carrier turn and set her down nicely at taxiway Bravo right in front of the tower and was off quickly. I had to wait for the Piper to move forward. “Experimental GYROPLANE 142 Mike Golf, thank you, contact ground.” I pushed the flip flop but ground was so busy I had to wait my turn. “Experimental 142 Mike Golf; taxi to restaurant parking via Bravo, Foxtrot behind the Cessna established on Foxtrot.”

It is a long way to restaurant parking and I don’t taxi as fast as most. I was glad there was no one behind.

I pulled up to the Waypoint Café, filled out my log book and secured The Predator.

To the sharp eyed; yes that is smoke to the right of the picture. They have a delicious barbeque on the weekends.

I managed the usual questions and headed inside. As soon as I got my vibrating gadget in the restaurant a CFI from San Luis Obispo (SBP) said hello and introduced his student who had just passed his written with a 92% and was preparing for his solo cross country. We shared tips on dealing with class Charlie ATC and he seemed eager to learn. The CFI didn’t know about the self serve at SBA and was glad to find out.

A Yak Pilot out of Santa Paula talked excitedly about putting VGs on a 310 and offered to swap rides.

I had a great lunch and The Predator was surrounded by curious onlookers most of the time.

Outside the patio my friend with the Yak was drawing on napkins explaining how autorotation worked to me reconciling forces when I noticed a couple who looked vaguely familiar looking at The Predator.

As they walked through the gate I realized it was probably Harrison Ford and his wife. I asked him if he was a famous actor and he replied in his best Indiana Jones growl; “I used to be.”

I had heard that he was interested in a ride in a gyroplane so I offered and he demurred. He complimented The Predator and said it looks like fun. I don’t know what they were flying.

In case you are wondering I like the Waypoint Café at CMA better than Logdon’s at Santa Paula although they keep shorter hours.

Thank you, Vance

Attachments

9.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 0
    10.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 0
    11.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 0
    12.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 0
    13.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 0
    16.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 0
    15.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 0
    14.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 0
Very cool Vance!!! You should have gotten a picture of him with the Predator to hang on the hanger wall!!!

Nice to hear from my friends!

Nice to hear from my friends!

Everyone likes The Predator Mark; you did a great job on her.

I like Harrison Ford as an actor and a person.

It was a very brief interaction intentionally.

I don’t think he was there to be adored by his fans.

That was a long time ago Kevin and on a much smaller scale than Harrison Fords popularity.

Glad to have you along Jake.

It is very different than Florida.

Thank you, Vance

The rest of the story!

The rest of the story!

I gave The Predator a careful preflight and checked ATIS. I called ground to taxi to runway 26 with a right crosswind departure to the north.

“Experimental Gyroplane 142 Mike Golf, Runway 26, taxi via Golf 2, Golf to Alpha.”

By the time we reached Alpha temperatures and pressures were in the green and the run up went well.

I called ground and told them run up was complete. I was to taxi to runway 26, hold short and call the tower.

The tower said, “Experimental 142 Mike Golf runway 26 clear for takeoff right crosswind departure approved.”

We were off quickly and turned right at the end of the runway. The wind was 260 degrees at 11kts.

As soon as I turned right frequency change was approved.

I hit the flip flop for Santa Paula CTAF 122.9 and called; “White Gyroplane 10 miles to the west south west over the riverbed at 900 feet inbound for runway 22 to land. I announced over the junkyard and over the golf course. There is no inbound on the forty five because the hills are in the way. I announced left base, final and clear of the active.

I filled out my log book for the .3 hour flight and secured the rotor, rudder and chained her down. Just as I was securing the GPS, spot and untying my backpack Al drove up. I don’t know how he does it. He offered to give me a ride to the Ocean Gateway Motel and we shared a nice dinner at the Mexican restaurant next door to the motel. Al and I fell back early so we would be aligned to PST in the morning.

After dinner I was soon fast asleep. I woke up around 22:00 to give Ed her “good night I love you call.”

Al picked me up at 9:00 Sunday morning. It is great to have friends.

I put the signs on The Predator and began to wander around.

Runway 4 was in use and it makes for some very interesting landings.

Anytime things slow down a little there are always landings to watch.

I visited most of the usual suspects and at noon Al and I went off for lunch to a very old very old style diner. It was great fun, great food and it is always fun to pick Al’s brain with his many years of aviation experience.

Daylight savings time meant sunset was 17:00 so I wanted to be on the way home by 15:00.

Preflight was very slow because of the constant interruptions. I love all the interest in gyroplanes and it is fun to answer questions.

The ground was off of one of the self serve fuel pumps so there was a line at the other.

I called Lockheed Martin and the only negative thing was rain at SMX. It had started at 2:51 and was ongoing. The winds were starting to come up but were all under 15kts.

The winds were also beginning to shift around at SZP and as I rolled toward 4 the sock favored 22 but the tetrahedron continued to favor 4. It was 82 degrees.

Run up went well and most aircraft were departing so it was easy to find a place.

I announced “White gyroplane lining up for takeoff runway 4 for a left downwind departure with a turn to the north west.”

We climbed out quickly and as we turned downwind it appeared the mist was getting worse. We turned slightly north just past the junkyard and five miles from SZP I made my last call. I began to monitor CMA because that is where most of the traffic was coming from.

Things settled down a little so I pulled out the camera. I have not yet learned to fly well, watch for traffic and take pictures. I still put the camera away when things get busy.

The sun was shining off the water in a most inviting way as we made our way toward the Pacific. The hills were alive with the shadows of the afternoon. Santa Barbara was obscured by the mist but I could feel the pull of the homeward bound flight.

My radio has good days and not so good days. This was a not so good day and when I called SBA approach from 20 miles to the east I had to ask him to repeat the squawk code three times before I was sure I got it right. Radar contact was established and altitude verified. We were climbing through 2,500 feet expecting 4,500 over the San Marcos Pass.

The splendor of the shoreline drew us onward and the beauty of it changed as we climbed. Lower down the beauty is in the details. As we climbed our world opened up and the allure was the shapes and colors.

We worked our way toward the mountains hoping to catch some lift but all we found was turbulence. Things smoothed out as we climbed higher.

There were a few traffic alerts but I never heard the alarm.

We cleared the San Marcos pass at 4,500 MSL feet and Lake Cachuma invited us into the Santa Ynez Valley. It is all downhill from the pass to SMX at 261 feet MSL. I love pulling the power back and hearing the rotors sing as we slowly descended across the valley.

The afternoon shadows danced across the hills and the warm breeze was a delight on my skin.

I checked ATIS from 15 miles out and there was no talk of rain.

I called; “Santa Maria Tower, Experimental Gyroplane 142 Mike Golf with Foxtrot 10 miles to the South East at 2,000 feet inbound to land.”

In an instant I heard Mark sounding a little speeded up say; “Experimental 142 Mike Golf, make straight in for 30 report 3 miles.”

There is something very special about lining up with the home runway and five miles out I heard “Experiment 142 Mike Golf Runway 30; clear to land.”

The 11kt wind rolled us around a little but touchdown was nice end to a lovely flight.

We had flown 195 nautical miles (224 statute miles) in three hours and eighteen minutes for an average of 59kts (68 miles per hour). I loved every minute of it.

Thank you for coming along, Vance

Attachments

17.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 0
    002.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 0
    3.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 0
    4.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 0
    5.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 0
    6.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 0
    7.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 0
    8.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 0
Hi Vance,

Sorry I missed you at KSZP. I called you around Noon time but neither you nor Al were around.

I did get to fly in a PT-17 Stearman though. It's been 17 years since I last flew a Stearman and I felt right at home. My friend let me take the plane over to Oxnard Airport and perform two full stop landings. The reason why is that's the same airport my Dad started his military career, flying a PT-17 Stearman 70 years prior and I felt compelled to just to fly there, especially when I hear my Dad's voice in my head say, "Son, go shoot some landing at Oxnard."

Seeing your pictures sure brings back the memory of smells I experienced last Sunday.

Wayne