All New ScrewDriver II!

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
Well Now that John let the cat out of the bag, I picked up his engine today, So I am going to post pictures instead of actually doing anything.
Here ya go boy!

Sorry I didn't get a picture of the forklift driver, but he was a white kid with baggy pants and his hat on backwards, and an ear ring, so you don't really need to see any more of that.:eek:

It was packed up all real nice , just like Christmas........Without the bills!:D

I used the hoist to yank it out of the box, and everything looks real good!:D

Attachments

• box1.JPG
    box1.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 0
  • box2.JPG
    box2.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 0
  • box3.JPG
    box3.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 618-1.JPG
    618-1.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 618-2.JPG
    618-2.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 618-3.JPG
    618-3.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 618-4.JPG
    618-4.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 0
That sure is purrdy! John, ya make me sick.....I want a new motor! Can't wait to see the ScrewDriver ll at Scott's in July !!!

Barry (jealous) K

Screw-In

Thankyou so much Scott. WOW it is PURRDY! That aint no VeeDubb now is it?:D :eek:

The starter is comming off and replaced with a pull start. The gearbox will be flipped to mount on the UltraWhite II when it get's here.

Ok Ernie, I got the engine! Where's the rest of it?:D

Screw-Out

Last edited:
Screw-In

Yeah Ron. Brand New 618 from Lockwood!:rolleyes:

Of course it's used. Freshly rebuilt with all new crank, pistons, the works.

Screw-Out

Just curious.... The Yellow hot rod ignition wires give it away.

Who rebuilt it? I ask this with all seriousness because MOST rebuilds on these engines are nothing more than a teardown, new rings, maybe new pistons and reassemble. The crankshaft replacement is probably the most important part of a rebuild on these engines that is overlooked or lied about when the engine is sold.

Does Scott have the tool to pull the gear off the crankshaft? I think if I remember from doing my gearbox mods, you got to pull the gear off to take the gearbox off or flip it etc...

Screw-In

The seller is an A&P, who did the rebuild himself.

Keep in mind Ron.....who has the engine now. If there are any problems, I'm guessing Scott will not only sniff it out, but have a solution as well.

I bought the engine fully aware that it may need to be overhauled.

Screw-Out

Yeah Scott is a good guy with a wrench and I am sure your in good hands. The problem with what may or may not be a problem is it requires a teardown to find the problem... or wait for the engine to quit one day. Or you just trust that the last guy knew what he was doing. I don't have too much fear for you like I did with the hotrod vw you were putting in the LW... I hope it works out for ya. Just scared me a little to see those wires. In the 10+ years I have been around Rotax engines, I have yet to see another engine modified like this. When something unusual stands out on a engine it makes me stop and question everything else about it. Seeing some of the " rebuilds " a local close to here does - he is not a Rotax mechanic, just a self taught motorcycle mechanic - I have come to my own conclusion that I would prefer a high time never been cracked open Rotax over most so called rebuilds, unless the rebuild comes with good documentation of the proper parts and services done. Maybe you got all that, so I will shut up about it now.

Going to let Scott pimp it out for you before installing it on your gyro? Orange pain on the head? Chrome muffler???

I am going to give it a thourough check out, probably even hook it up to the test stand and run it. From the visual inpection, It is very clean on the inside and has not been run, fresh hone on the cylinders, visualy it looks like a fresh overhaul.

Funny you mentioned the orange paint, I told john he could have an orange head 618!

Wire wire on the wall....

Wire wire on the wall....

Those yellow wires, are they carbon or solid core. ?

Rons is right if those wires are not meant for a rotax there may be problems down the road.

super cool though. engine needs some paint and graphics !

Jonathan ;)

Scott, I can't place it but I think something is missing on that engine. Look at mine and compare John's to it.
It's something on the carb side.

The little oil bottle for the rotary valve?
Don't worry guys, It will be checked out real well, wires, and all.

John,

I thought you were getting a 618 with an "E" box? What happened to that deal?

Heh... pull starting a 618 with a 60" prop will get old very very quickly. You might consider coughing up for the RK-400 clutch on that C-box.

Last edited:
GyroRon said:
Does Scott have the tool to pull the gear off the crankshaft? I think if I remember from doing my gearbox mods, you got to pull the gear off to take the gearbox off or flip it etc...

You only have to remove the big gear if you are pulling the propshaft or changing gear ratios. To flip the gearbox takes no special tools other than the proper allen wrenches.

Pulling that big gear is a drag though. Need the puller, a hot torch, a fixture, and a big ol' cheater bar.

Shhhh! don't tell about the 618 with the E box, shhhhhhh.;)

John and I and Phil, are going to buy up all the rotax 618's and have our own Confederate Rotax Air Force!

Screw-In

Scott bought the one with the "E" box, I bought the one with the "C" Box, and Phil has one on Kermit.

So like Scott said....We got three 618's under one roof.:D

I'm still so excited I could pee.

Screw-Out

Screw said:
.....I'm still so excited I could pee.

Screw-Out
Would someone please find John a potty?!!