Which Kit??

tlanders

Learning Member
Aircraft
past\fixed wing-present\Dominator
Total Flight Time
150hrs.
Which kit is the better gyro, Air command or Dominator? Single and dual. I just want to fly around about a 30 mile radius of home. I am private pilot making a change. I crave power still at 46 yrs. old. I have raced motorcross, go carts, and dirt track cars. I love adventure. You have already answered my question on engines and I appreciate it!!

Depend of what you really like. Both are great machine!. You have to chose between looks and budget :rolleyes: . The only diference is aircommand single seat doen't come with tall tail. The dominator both, the single and the dual come with tall tail. The Tall-Tail with the horizontal stabilizer immersed in the prop wash adds superior damping ability to minimize control lag and overshoot. All of these features result in a stable gyroplane.
and the dominator can be custom built to your needs.

Tlanders, this if just my opinion from what I have heard and read. So maybe some one, that have those gyro can tell you other stuff from there experience. I am just tryin to help!. I fly a Bensen but I have been getting info becouse I am plannig to get other gyro :D .

Last edited:
The Air Command kit is the way to go if you just want to bolt it together and go flying. The Dominator can be built using just the plans, if you are the type that likes to cut and weld, or for a lot more money you can purchase one ready to fly!

I don't want plans, I want a bolt together or already built. Do you prefer the Subaru over Rotax??

I would say the Air Command if you are looking for a kit - but get it with the tall tail and the large stab. Another option would be to have Ernie pre-build the major components of the Dominator for you, and you can put it together (you can also get a completely built machine from Ernie). In any case, unless you can afford the Rotax 912, I would go with the Rotax 582. The Soob is too heavy, in my opinion, for a single place. You can't beat the power/weight ratio of the two strokes and, if taken care of properly, it would serve you well for many years.

If you are considering a two place than it's the Rotax 912S against the soob. Again the cost is in favor of the soob, but the quality is not.

Udi

The Air Command does have a tall tail option, I fly an AC without it and a rotax 582 . you will find the 582 on many 2 place aircraft it is plenty powerfull, your description of the flying you want to do is much like mine, I am more than pleased with my AC and the people there go out of thier way to be helpful, they can also build it ( mostly) for you for just a few $ more , but it is fast and easy to build and it will help you better understand your machine if you build it , they can also help with training too.

joeheli said:
The only diference is aircommand single seat doen't come with tall tail. The dominator both, the single and the dual come with tall tail. .

daveeisler:That is why I said that the "SINGLE SEAT" aircommand dosen't come with a tall
tail . Becouse the dual does come with the tall tail option.

Joe , I don't understand your comment, As I said it is an available option for the single seat.

OH! sorry daveeisler. I din't know that they give you that option now with the single seat! Sorry!

Joe , Thanks . it is about ( I hope your sitting down ) $1700.00 for the complete tail, this was as of 4 months ago when I spoke to Doug Smith at AC.

Air Commands Rule! What do you mean there are other options!

( sorry, someone had to respond to Ron's post ;) )

We fly a single-seat A-C with centerline thrust, and I'm not really sure you'll get your money's worth for a $1700 tall tail! Our machine is extremely stable, hasn't done anything squirrelly with me yet, and I've worked my way up to some pretty gusty conditions with it. We are currently flying Dragon Wings on it, and wouldn't consider switching to any other blades.

My suggestion would be to build the A-C without the tall tail option, and if you're not happy with its flight characteristics, after some practice with it,
then convert to the tall tail. I believe that once you fly it with the smaller tail, you won't feel the need to buy the tall tail.

The other nice thing with the A-C is that it does bolt together, with some help to some of the holes they have drilled out.

I'm not that impressed with Air Command's service, or knowledge of flying gyros. Ernie is a heck of a nice guy, and really knows his machines and blades. If service and knowledge is more important than bolting a machine together, try the Dominator.

Just my two and a half cent's worth.