Sportcopter Vortex Viking V-1 update

Doug S.

PRA # 41505
Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex / Xenon RST
Total Flight Time
This past week in Ohio I was out having some fun in a little wind in my Sportcopter Vortex Viking V-1 just before the rain set in.
Love the performance the Viking engine is giving me at my altitude. (1000' MSL)
Had to use my old GoPro Hero. My GoPro Hero II went through my prop and my new GoPro 4 that I ordered has not arrived yet.
Thanks for watching.
Doug S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6tMhXguYF0

Do have cracked 3 go pro mounts. I switched from plastic to aluminum.

Most excellent video!

Doug, nice flying!!! I was leaning into the corners as you turned. Been there, done that. Fly safe and enjoy your SportCopter. The smile says it all!!!!

Scott Heger, Laguna Niguel,Ca N86SH

Sweet, I love flying videos!!!!

Thanks so much for sharing the fun!

Do have cracked 3 go pro mounts. I switched from plastic to aluminum.

Brent
Yeah never really had any problem before with GoPro mounts. When it broke I was flying up to Urbana for a fly-in and about 2 miles out from the airport I heard and felt a sound that know one want to hear or feel. I turned around and looked at my prop and seen debris coming from it. I thought that I might have hit a bird. I lowered my RPM's and was checking around looking at my aircraft and I though well maybe my GoPro caught what ever it was that went through my prop. I looked at my IPad and seen that my wifi GoPro signal was lost to my GoPro. Mystery solved I looked up and seen my bracket was there but my GoPro II was gone. (Yep my GoPro caught everything on video, It had a front row seat)
I would really like to have my SD card back, I still had some great footage that I never down loaded on to my computer on it.
Lesson learned I'll never do that again.
I was lucky it only got one of my blades and Warp Drive blades are pretty bullet proof.
The blade still looked like it was attacked by a shark.
(Maybe it was Sharknado that broke off my GoPro and bit my blade)
Like I said I would really like to find and get back my SD card out of my GoPro. Who knows maybe my GoPro survived it ordeal..... But I seriously doubt it.

Attachments

• Sportcopter Vortex Viking V-1 update
    20140823_171150.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 3
    20140823_171229.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 3
    20140826_153947.jpeg
    36.9 KB · Views: 3
Doug, I would replace that blade. I'd be afraid if it cracking in flight.

Blade repair

Blade repair

Doug, I would replace that blade. I'd be afraid if it cracking in flight.

Brent
Yeah I already purchase a new blade from Warp Drive. It was going to take a couple of weeks to receive it from the factory.
On there website they got a really good video on how to repair damage blades with JB Weld at eaavideo.org
I thought it's already broke, I really can't break it anymore. So I got me some JB Weld and followed the the instructions on the video and a little bit of filing with my vixen file and some steel wool.
I had to mark the end with a blue dot just so I can tell which one was damaged. Couple coats of flat black paint, installed new abrasion tape.
The compression from the engine was my vise to hold the blade.
I think it turned out pretty good.
Doug S.

Attachments

20140826_154253.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 2
    20140826_160059.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 2
    20140826_160306.jpeg
    52.4 KB · Views: 2
    20140826_163132.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 2
    20140829_132421.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 2
    20140830_085959.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 2
    20140830_090023.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 2
    20140830_153100.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 2
Safety wire is good mate:whip:

Glad that was all the damage and none to you :)

Yeah that was the first thing that was going through my mind.... We all seen the videos of the motor coming off the engine mounts because of the offset balance of the blades. I was very happy to land my aircraft without any issues.

I was safety wiring and using duct tape all the time when I first started to use GoPro cameras. Then as time went on seem like the camera and brackets was holding up very well. Plus with GoPro videos and literature saying how the suction cup mount holds at over 100 mph along with there other bracket systems.
But lesson learned, I won't do that again.

I am also glade that I had it mounted on the right side of my gyro instead of the left side. The honda viking engine turns CW so when the camera hit the blade the rotation of the blade through the camera downward instead of upward where it could had easily hit my rotor blades causing even more damage to my aircraft.
As bad as it was I had a fantastic day that day.
I would still like to get my SD card back.