Calidus frustration

No Title

Hi Ray, I had a great time bringing the machine back to Texas for you. It performed flawlessly until it got to Taylor. But if I was gonna break down somewhere along the way back, I'm glad it was there where Dayton could keep it for you! Murphy was at least being somewhat hospitable for this trip.

The trip itself was great...lots of really cool scenery, and overall decent weather. (Much better weather than I had for the certified Calidus flight from Maryland to Denver a few weeks earlier!) Most interesting stop was my overnight in Monroe, Louisiana. The FBO parked me in a warehouse absolutely full of Duck Dynasty bobblehead dolls. Apparently they're just not selling like they used to! :)

Here's the gyro sitting in front of boxes of bobbleheads... :)

Sorry you were down several months getting it all sorted out...but glad to see you're finally in the air!

-John

Attachments

• Calidus frustration
    photo128216.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 2
John, thanks for all of your help getting the gyro to me. I now fly it almost every day, and want to concentrate on learning more about the systems and maintenance. I found another guy in San Antonio with a 2017 bright green Calidus and all the cool upgrades to the prerotator and the summer canopy. He keeps it at Hondo, but hopefully we can get together for some flying. Ray

That's fantastic...and glad you're able to fly in this heat. I was getting pretty warm by the time I got to Taylor. :)

Rainman;n1120896 said:
It's fixed!! Craig McPerson (Blue Skies PPC) in Blum TX found that the carbs were way out of balance, the oil return line was kinked, the screen in the filter to the electric fuel pump was partially clogged. The fuel filters were in series as the electric fuel pump was in series on the same fuel line. He redid that so there are two parallel lines with their own filter and now with easy access. At my request, he also changed all the hoses as they are four years old and would be due next year. It flies great and the 2.6 hour cross country back to Boerne Stage was a blast with some exciting weather closing in. Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions and help! My gyro has a Dynon Skyview PFD and I still need to get the fuel gauge and fuel flow working, but I'm just happy to be able to fly it again. Ray

I happy you got her running right, somebody could have been hurt. Who built her ?

Some nice improvements too ! What did or does the "factory" say about it all ??

Last edited:
Rainman;n1119499 said:
In early January I bought a nice looking 2013 Calidus with only 100 hrs on it. A friend tried to ferry it to me inTexas from Maryland. The engine stopped running above idle about 100 mile from home. I eventually got it home after changing carb floats, but the problem recurred on the next flights. A mechanic removed the carbs and they were sent for overhaul. Once the carbs were returned, I found out that my mechanic can't reconnect the throttle cables because the ends of the cable became frayed an won't go through the set screw. He thinks I may need new throttle cables?? It's been almost four months and I still can't fly my gyro. Does anyone know a good Calidus knowledgable mechanic that can also troubleshoot the Rotax 912 ULS if the carbs turn out to not be the problem? The gyro is at 5C1 near San Antonio. Ray

What a great learning curve for all of us ! He was lucky to get as far as he did ! Will you be the new repairman ? Is it an ELSA ?

You did a lot of stuff.......what do you think the MAIN problem was ?

What do these machines cruise at with 2 persons on board ? (rpm also )

As previously j mentioned, there were several problems. Partially plugged fuel filter, defective carb floats, carbs out of balance after sent for rebuild, kinked oil return line, and although they all tested good when I replaced all the spark plugs the engine stopped failing on takeoff. I think the carbs were the main problem. This gyro only flew 60 hours in 3.5 years after the initial 40 hours had been flown off. The carb float SB had not been attended to and did not pass the test so that was the first step. Then the carbs were sent off for rebuild when that didn't fix it. It flys great now including almost three hours cross country yesterday. I don't know the top or cruise speed with two people in it. I seem to be doing better than book speed with just me in it. The one thing I'll say about the engine failing several times on takeoff and at less than a few hundred feet was that bringing it back down safely was never an issue. Because I stayed in ground effect until Vy I was able to just settle back down on the runway or 180/360 if I was high enough. Gyros can be very safe to fly and although I got off to a rough start mchanically, I will continue to fly these fun machines. Ray