No announcement yet.

Calidus frustration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank for sharing the progress. It may help someone else in the future when you get this all figured out.
    Resistance is futile…… You will be compiled!
    Cheers,
    John Rountree

PRA- Director
    PRA- Volunteer Coordinator

PRA31 - Vice President of S.D. Rotorcraft Club
    http://www.Pra31.org

U.S. Agent for Aviomania Aircraft... the most stable gyroplane on the market today.
    See: Aviomania USA http://www.AviomaniaUSA.com

OEM Dealer for MGL Avionics - glass cockpit EFIS for Experimental aircraft Ask about DISCOUNTS for PRA MEMBERS

Comment

If all is now smooth, and you are maxing out at 5400RPM, have you checked the prop pitch

Comment

We had a similar problem over here a while back with a 914 and it turned out to be the filter inside the fuel pump that was partially blocked.

Comment

It's fixed!! Craig McPerson (Blue Skies PPC) in Blum TX found that the carbs were way out of balance, the oil return line was kinked, the screen in the filter to the electric fuel pump was partially clogged. The fuel filters were in series as the electric fuel pump was in series on the same fuel line. He redid that so there are two parallel lines with their own filter and now with easy access. At my request, he also changed all the hoses as they are four years old and would be due next year. It flies great and the 2.6 hour cross country back to Boerne Stage was a blast with some exciting weather closing in. Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions and help! My gyro has a Dynon Skyview PFD and I still need to get the fuel gauge and fuel flow working, but I'm just happy to be able to fly it again. Ray

Comment

Congratulations Ray!

I love progress.

Thank you for sharing the details.
            Regards, Vance Breese Gyroplane CFI http://www.breeseaircraft.com/

Comment

That is great to hear! Kudos to Craig. I strongly recommend you do a Rotax basic maintenance course - something like the carbs way out of balance should have been a no brainer to your original mechanic.

Comment

More progress, today we found that two of the cable ports in the Dynon Skyview were only loosely screwed in. Once they were tightened, the fuel level suddenly worked. Tomorrow I plan to fly the gyro to determine if the fuel flow is working also. I was told that the vibration can cause the screws holding the cables in the ports on the Dynon to become loose.

Comment

Sounds like you making good progress. Thanks for sharing what you find. It could help someone else in the future. U-ROCK!
                  Resistance is futile…… You will be compiled!
                  Cheers,
                  John Rountree

PRA- Director
                  PRA- Volunteer Coordinator

PRA31 - Vice President of S.D. Rotorcraft Club
                  http://www.Pra31.org

U.S. Agent for Aviomania Aircraft... the most stable gyroplane on the market today.
                  See: Aviomania USA http://www.AviomaniaUSA.com

OEM Dealer for MGL Avionics - glass cockpit EFIS for Experimental aircraft Ask about DISCOUNTS for PRA MEMBERS

Comment

Great news! I'm glad your machine is flying again. Keep an eye on the fuel filter. Assuming some residue from the fuel tank cause the initial blockage, there might be more to come before it is cleared up. --Brings back memories of my childhood. My best friend bought a car from an old lady that used it very little. On more than one occasion that cars engine quit because the fuel filter was so impacted with dissolving gasoline varnish which was flaking off the tank. It happened enough that we got to the point where we could remove the fuel filter, clear out the filter screen, and re-install it in about 5 minutes.

Comment

Yes, just to back that point up - there were some early problems with the Calidus custom fuel tanks. My hanger mate had fuel flow issues after his initial build which was traced back to debris from breakdown / delamination of the fiberglass tanks, requiring replacement of the tanks, but not before they caused a lot of fuel flow issues.
                      Last edited by loftus; 06-10-2017, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Hi Ray, I had a great time bringing the machine back to Texas for you. It performed flawlessly until it got to Taylor. But if I was gonna break down somewhere along the way back, I'm glad it was there where Dayton could keep it for you! Murphy was at least being somewhat hospitable for this trip.

The trip itself was great...lots of really cool scenery, and overall decent weather. (Much better weather than I had for the certified Calidus flight from Maryland to Denver a few weeks earlier!) Most interesting stop was my overnight in Monroe, Louisiana. The FBO parked me in a warehouse absolutely full of Duck Dynasty bobblehead dolls. Apparently they're just not selling like they used to! :-)

Here's the gyro sitting in front of boxes of bobbleheads... :-)

Sorry you were down several months getting it all sorted out...but glad to see you're finally in the air!

-John

Comment

John, thanks for all of your help getting the gyro to me. I now fly it almost every day, and want to concentrate on learning more about the systems and maintenance. I found another guy in San Antonio with a 2017 bright green Calidus and all the cool upgrades to the prerotator and the summer canopy. He keeps it at Hondo, but hopefully we can get together for some flying. Ray

Comment

That's fantastic...and glad you're able to fly in this heat. I was getting pretty warm by the time I got to Taylor. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
                              It's fixed!! Craig McPerson (Blue Skies PPC) in Blum TX found that the carbs were way out of balance, the oil return line was kinked, the screen in the filter to the electric fuel pump was partially clogged. The fuel filters were in series as the electric fuel pump was in series on the same fuel line. He redid that so there are two parallel lines with their own filter and now with easy access. At my request, he also changed all the hoses as they are four years old and would be due next year. It flies great and the 2.6 hour cross country back to Boerne Stage was a blast with some exciting weather closing in. Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions and help! My gyro has a Dynon Skyview PFD and I still need to get the fuel gauge and fuel flow working, but I'm just happy to be able to fly it again. Ray
                              I happy you got her running right, somebody could have been hurt. Who built her ?

Some nice improvements too ! What did or does the "factory" say about it all ??
                              Last edited by CLS447; 08-20-2017, 01:21 AM.
                              Happy Flying, Chris S.

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
                                In early January I bought a nice looking 2013 Calidus with only 100 hrs on it. A friend tried to ferry it to me inTexas from Maryland. The engine stopped running above idle about 100 mile from home. I eventually got it home after changing carb floats, but the problem recurred on the next flights. A mechanic removed the carbs and they were sent for overhaul. Once the carbs were returned, I found out that my mechanic can't reconnect the throttle cables because the ends of the cable became frayed an won't go through the set screw. He thinks I may need new throttle cables?? It's been almost four months and I still can't fly my gyro. Does anyone know a good Calidus knowledgable mechanic that can also troubleshoot the Rotax 912 ULS if the carbs turn out to not be the problem? The gyro is at 5C1 near San Antonio. Ray
                                What a great learning curve for all of us ! He was lucky to get as far as he did ! Will you be the new repairman ? Is it an ELSA ?

You did a lot of stuff.......what do you think the MAIN problem was ?

Happy Flying, Chris S.

Comment

Working...
                                X