Adding a Facet fuel pump to a Rotax 582 gyro

Rasool

Aircraft
Magni M-22
Total Flight Time
220 fixed wing, 210 gyro
So, I am replacing my fuel lines and wondering if this is a good time to add a Facet fuel pump. When I have air in the fuel line that feeds into the pulse pump, the engine keeps starting and then stalling. I spoke with a Rotax A&P, and he said, this was a common problem, and the simple solution (in his view) was to just keep priming the carbs until the air cleared out. Seems to me that an inexpensive Facet pump would do the same thing. I was planning to install it in series, behind the filter, near the tank feed.

Thoughts, opinions?

Thanks,

Russ

Just wondering Russ,how or why is air getting into the fuel line.

Glad you asked that question Eddie. I am wondering if, after I hangar the aircraft, fuel and then air is backing into the line from the carbs, through the Mikuni pulse pump. It seems to me that this should not happen, that the pump has a back flow preventer valve of some type. I had not had this problem until this winter, but always refilled my seat tank in the summer after each flight, to measure my fuel burn rate. I always knew I would fly again in a few days. However, during the winter, I do not do this, so that I can fly with fresh gas. Sometimes I do not fly for a couple of weeks, due to weather. So, often, the tank is left low, which then would allow the gas level in the line to drop, and pull air thru the carbs. Make sense? I may need a new pump, or need to rebuild the one I have.

Russ

Could be its more of a nusance than a real problem Russ.

I just gassed up my gyro after draining the fuel for the winter, checked the bowls, water trap etc...Filled the tank, hit the master switch and fuel pump, (facet) until the fuel was up to the carbs, You can either see the fuel in the translucent lines, or listen to the sound change on the pump, just primmed a couple times and it fired right off and died, primed it again and all was good.
If you are using just the pulse pump it will run and die until the bowls fill and it has a steady supply of fuel, Plus the pulse pumps work pretty hard if you are trying to lift fuel more than about 18"
Just put a facet at the bottom of the system, feeding the pulse pump and you will be fine.