Yamaha Genesis 120hp engine

I just spoke to Dwight over at FX Composites (Mosquito Helicopter) and they have an 80 HP version of this engine that they are mating to the Mosquito. If it works out you will definitely see me in one of those machines.

I also have the 80hp fi 2 cylinder Yamaha motor that I will start developing soon as well.
Ron Awad has proven that the 120hp version will fly a two place around very well and if you put this motor on a single place machine like I have done it is probably just overkill. (but I like it :) )

I believe that the 80hp version will fit many applications very well and it should be.

When I get moving on the 80hp project I will start a dedicated thread for it so it will be easy to follow along on my progress.

Thank you, Todd

Racer,

I PM'ed you on the 80 HP FI project. Very interested in your plans in that area.

Keep up the great work.

GaryMac

Remember, I'll buy two of the complete sleds, to use in the snow!

Are there different colors on the sleds to choose from?

Yes Kevin, You can buy two of these sled to use them for there intended purpose to go on the snow, even though I know they could have a much higher purpose.

From what I have been told these sled are in excellent shape and as far as colors go I assume so but to be honest with you that is a question that I never even ask when I am sled shopping.

If you or anyone else want's one or more complete sled at a good price for your own personal enjoyment I can get these "Yellowstone sleds" for $3,000.00 each.

Todd 719 499-2378

Fly Army. I ran a 80 hp Yamaha FI today with a turbo (not factory) 160 hp @ 10 boost. It would push a 2 place like Rons machine with half the boost. It sounded like it wanted out of the sled, I think it wants to fly. PS, Turbo installed 5000.00. I am planning on putting a turbo on my Yamaha 120 3 cylinder. I want to push a Sparrowhawk with it. Todd has me on a string dancing like a puppet, he loves a challenge and I have few.
To bad I don't have the smarts to be of any help, oh well that's what friends are for right.

Todd the first time I saw a gyro with a centrifugal clutch I was struck by the safety aspect of it. Please excuse all the questions, I'm a bit ignorant in the engineering field.

Do they make these type of clutches for a 503?

How much weight would it add? They look as though they might be a few pounds.

Do they, and if so, by roughly how much, move the prop aft?

Approximately how much, would this type of unit be?

Can they be engineered to lock in at different RPM for different engines?

It's called the RK clutch... C-box only I believe. $500. Cannot be adjusted.

Thanks Chris, guess that option is out then.

Seemed like a good idea though. Out in Kenya always get lots of spectators crowding around which is worrying.

upgrade from the B box to a C box and buy the clutch to go in there. It isn't impossible, just money! ;)

Yeah right Ron, only money. Living on savings and a very small pension sharpens up what is and is not practical

BTW how would that effect the performance, and what changes would occur if we were to change to the C box on our particular set-up?

Thanks.

Wouldn't change much other than be a little heavier, and much stronger and with the clutch you engine should last much longer.

Wouldn't change much other than be a little heavier, and much stronger and with the clutch you engine should last much longer.
I hadn't thought of that! Good one!

Good advice Arnie.
One thing to consider is I have only talked about them here,
There is a another big market for them besides us rotor heads... The LSA fixed wings is a much bigger market than the gyro market by far.
Hi everyone
Just letting you guys know that I have been following this thread since mid Feburary 09 and have read every entry. I am one of those fixed wing experimental builders you gyro guys have talked about. I joined this site just to monitor the development progress of this engine.I found this thread by google search of "Yamaha aircraft engine" and have been very impressed with the engineering and R&D by Racer and GyroRon.I do like gyro's very much and have had several rides in 2 seaters so I hope i'm not imposing on this thread or site,but merely feedback from a curios observer. I have a great interest in the Yamaha Genesis 120 and is of consideration for my SeaRey amphibian experimental project I have on order. I have a very close connection with Yamaha Australia and have been advised they will in no way endorse the use of the engine for aircraft use due to possible bad publicity should anything bad happen, even if it was not caused by the engine itself! However interestingly they will offer technical support on the motor and order spare parts in should the need arise.
The sleds are not sold here in Australia (not enough market demand.....go figure) and would be very wise to purchase everthing through Racer anyway as per previous earlier threads.The real problem is if the engine could be sucessfully adapted to the SeaRey mount system being a high wing pusher set up. I like the engine very much but at this stage don't really know if i'm kidding myself of the complexity of the conversion to such an aircraft or if it is straight out not possible due to thrust line changes or physical problems. I'm a year away from needing an engine so I will be monitoring this thread closely.

Racer, do you consider your engine mount to be adaptable to various applications as mentioned above?

Best of luck to all involved with what appears to be a great engine conversion!

Jamie.

Jamie,
Thanks for dropping a line and saying Hi,
I have made engine mounts 3 different ways so far and all seem to mount up well. You would probably just have to build whatever would work for your application but I am sure it could be done.
Enjoy following along and hopefully someday we can post some pictures of your install here.

Thank you, Todd

Look what found me.... Twins.
Both sleds are in perfect condition with less than 1000 miles on them.
It is now time to let them free from the constraints that hold them and give them wings.
The front sled is Russ Hobbs and will end up in a single place Dominator and the rear sled is JohnIfly's and will be the first Yamaha motor in a Mini 500 helicopter.

01-12-09226.jpg

01-12-09229.jpg

Too bad you have to get rid of all that goofy looking stuff in the way before you can get the engine out. :)

Had any luck selling parts?

I really like the attitude of the folks at Yamaha. Jamie wrote: "I have a very close connection with Yamaha Australia and have been advised they will in no way endorse the use of the engine for aircraft use due to possible bad publicity should anything bad happen, even if it was not caused by the engine itself! However interestingly they will offer technical support on the motor and order spare parts in should the need arise."

I can understand that they want to be safe if legal issues arrise. And yet, they offer support. Earlier replies by Todd indicates the same thing.

My experience was very different when I tried to do the same with a Rotax Skidoo engine. Rotax would give absolutely no help.

Jim

hi racer... i may be intrested in one of the tracks.. for my rx1...or even the handl bare risers...could you tell me the year of Those pretty unites so i can cross referents the rx1 to your venture's .....they are nice sled's ...but i agree ...put wing's on them...
dennis

I actually bought these sleds from a Yamaha dealer here in Colorado with the agreement that I would take everything I need then return the chassis to him so that he could part them out. One chassis is already spoken for but the other is still up for grabs so if anyone is interested in any parts contact Sean at mountain tech Yamaha 719 395-0438 http://www.mountaintechbv.com
He is a great guy and if I can help him sell what I return then maybe he can get me more deals like this and we all win.
Dennis, I talked to Sean on the phone and he said yes this track assembly will work on your RX-1 with some added mounting tabs on your tunnel. Call him anytime, he is a wealth of knowledge and a very good guy.

ok thanks racer...at this time i am spending all my funds on my 120 project ..i was thinking i would be able to buy the track in the fall....ill try him then...thanks dennis