Carrier Landings on a Pitching Deck - Awesome....

Trez

Aircraft
EAB 503 Powered UltraWhite-like Dom
Total Flight Time
25,000+
These links are to two 10 minute videos, all about carrier recoveries in less than ideal conditions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=4gGMI8d3vLs

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=S0yj70QbBzg

For those unfamiliar, the sparks behind the aircraft that you see during night ops, is the tail-hook - under hydraulic down-pressure - 'scraping' the deck after missing all four wires (Bolter), and dragging across bolt heads, metal track, etc.. The hook can skip (bounce) over a wire, or the aircraft can land beyond all the wires. OR, the wire can break! Which presents a whole lot of other problems........
Why train in these kind of conditions? 'Cause we can't choose the weather if we ever have to go to war.
Makes us appreciate what level of skill is out there on the carriers..... :drama:
Enjoy!
Trez

It's chancy while landing on a clear day…..but a pitching deck at night….the chance of biting it goes way up….I just kissed my reclining chair……

Hey Trez, you were a shoe? Bring back memories?

Scrotum tightening stuff, great links, thanks.

Hey Trez, you were a shoe? Bring back memories?

Scrotum tightening stuff, great links, thanks.
JR, Larry, Leigh.......Oh, no. Had no idea I posted two different threads.
Larry,
You got any idea how long I been PRATICIN"????
Leigh,
I never came close to carrier approaches that precarious. Shoot, I'da QUIT!
Mine were all partly cloudy, calm seas, wind right down the deck! And straight deck carrier, to boot!

Give us a clue. Nam, A4s, F 8's, Super Fudds, F4s, Jim Morrison and the Doors. Get back and boom times.

Great days.

Give us a clue. Nam, A4s, F 8's, Super Fudds, F4s, Jim Morrison and the Doors. Get back and boom times.

Great days.

Leigh,
I hope I didn't give leave the impression that I had a career flying Navy carrier aircraft.
When I joined the Navy every pilot, regardless of where or what he wound up flying, had to qualify successfully on the carrier before advancing to the assignment that would define the rest of his tour.
After basic training in the T-34, and primary training in the T-28, including
formation, acrobatics, instrument, and gunnery, we entered into the most exciting thing I had ever encountered in my so-far young life - FCLP, or Field Carrier Landing Practice, followed by the flight out to the U.S.S. Intrepid for our evaluation as brand new carrier pilots. Weather was near perfect, seas calm, and the Skipper of course had her steering right into the wind, for a brisk 20 knot direct headwind. Our flight of eight took about an hour and a half to complete a minimum of six successful traps (landings) to a full stop - and I MEAN full stop - each followed by a no-catapult takeoff. Then we all returned to Whiting Field in Pensacola for a party.
Did the same thing when I had to qual in multi-engine anti-sub aircraft before being shipped off to NAS Roosevelt Roads in Puerto Rico.
This was during the Cuban Missle Crisis and we were very busy the whole time we were there.
Anyway, I know I've told you more than you wanted but it's fun to think about it again.
Thanks for asking.
And I know fairly well what those guys in the video were going through.
They earn a small fraction of what they're worth every day and every night.
God Bless Them!..........
Trez

I enjoy hearing it too Trez :) Just lurking in here :) We need to chat at Bensen days my friend I want to hear your stories :) Oh and thank you!:usa2:

Trez even that was a unique experience, and you are so right. Every cent and a whole lot more, those vids really brought that home.

Have my dad's log book. He did one carrier fly on, one fly off the Carrier Indomitable when his Hurricane Sqdn (30) was shipped over from Alexandria Egypt in March 42.

Arrived Colombo Ceylon March 13th to be there for the Japanese Carrier strike strike force invasion due to arrive under Nagumo (OC Pearl Harbour strike force) with five carriers. They hit Columbo with 70 Aircraft on April 5th. RAF lost 24 aircraft, one my dad. Then Trincomalee with 179 aircraft, RAF lost 14 more aircraft He bailed out with bullets in leg, neck, and back, and burns. One month later May 3rd back in combat. They were short handed.

I am invited, as family, to 30 Sdn re-unions. Dad was youngest ever member of the Sqdn, longest ever serving member. Nicknamed Pee Wee??

Trez even that was a unique experience, and you are so right. Every cent and a whole lot more, those vids really brought that home.

Have my dad's log book. He did one carrier fly on, one fly off the Carrier Indomitable when his Hurricane Sqdn (30) was shipped over from Alexandria Egypt in March 42.

Arrived Colombo Ceylon March 13th to be there for the Japanese Carrier strike strike force invasion due to arrive under Nagumo (OC Pearl Harbour strike force) with five carriers. They hit Columbo with 70 Aircraft on April 5th. RAF lost 24 aircraft, one my dad. Then Trincomalee with 179 aircraft, RAF lost 14 more aircraft He bailed out with bullets in leg, neck, and back, and burns. One month later May 3rd back in combat. They were short handed.

I am invited, as family, to 30 Sdn re-unions. Dad was youngest ever member of the Sqdn, longest ever serving member. Nicknamed Pee Wee??

Bless 'em all, Leigh!
They certainly did their part and more.
So many stories out there of the sacrifices made so that the rest of us could carry on.
It's good to hear of your Dad's experiences. They knuckled down when they were called to duty and prevailed as a result.
You might be interested in this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=vcnH_kF1zXc&feature=player_embedded

Bless 'em all.................
Trez

A famous segment, never fails to move.

Allows us to remember those who suffered and died achieving that, and, those who serve, and die, to protect us now.