Transporting blades on back of a pickup

Carbongyro

Hi All,

I'm taking delivery of a gyro soon from overseas.

I've arranged a means of winching the craft up onto the back of a utility for short distance transport.

I'm looking for suggestions about the best way to store the blades during these short drives.

Can I ask if anyone has some pics of their blades tied up, perhaps cased, safe and secure atop a pickup or utility, and perhaps you might share some insights about protecting them from damage.

Appreciate your experience

This is how TAG Aviation does it!

This is how TAG Aviation does it!

..... TE rotors up on top of PU - (in bubble wrap) ... Ready for transport Canberra to Sydney prior to packing in shipping container!

Attachments

• Transporting blades on back of a pickup
    image.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 2
Build a blade box to hold both blades laying flat. With bubble wrap of foam or some sort of protective wrapping between and around the blades.
However, this method is what I used for the past 10 years and no damage; it does require assembly and stringing each time
roughly an 11' box x 10" wide and 6" deep. As you can see by my picture, the bladebox is tucked away nicely under the gyro.
I would put the Hub Bar in the cab with me.
ps: don't mind the rotor is still on the gyro. This picture was taken when I first modified this trailer to haul the Dominator. I had to lengthen it a bit and make a spot for the front tire to sit. As you can see, the ramps double as a means of securing the gyro by the tires. I can haul my Bensen or my Dominator on this trailer.

Attachments

image(3).jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hi David,

Do you line the bottom of your blade box with anything? I don't know how fragile these things are.

Cheers,

Hi Chris,

Thanks for this.

Does it put a lot of stress on the blades at the two points where the weight is over the roof rack? Have you ever had any bruising of the blade at those points?

My old truck is a diesel Toyota Landcruiser ute and doesn't have very soft suspension (to say the least!).

Cheers,

Having carted my gyro around in the back of a Nissan Patrol traytop for many years I can tell you its quite safe for the gyro & blades, even in a landcruiser.

A blade box is good & you can use carpet or a reasonably strong plastic [bubble wrap ] for underneath, & anywhere rubbing might occur between box & blades. No box , well, I have done this plenty of times with front of blades tied onto the top of tray at front & blades sitting on floor at back, just wrap up well so no rubbing can occur & tie in/ up firmly but not too tight. I have a rack in the back of the tray which I can take out which goes around the back of my gyro. Wish I had a picture to show you. & I put the blades one side & the ramps to get the gyro on & off on the other side.

Even lightweight gyros are heavy enough so be aware when loading / unloading. I have a 12 volt winch up the front & I have a eyelet on the gyro[ connected to frame] & I winch on & off very easily. If you have a sky hook you can use your teeter bolt [ not the one you use for flying ] cut a piece of pipe a bit bigger than the bolt so it spreas the weight along all the bolt .

I tie the rear wheels down so gyro cant move back & forth. Dont use the gyro frame for a tie point as you might bend something. I used to use a motorbike strap from the engine mount frame to tray & you will need to find a strong point at the front to put a rope on to tie down to stop front of gyro bobbing up & down.

The blades are tough but it is possible to ding the trailing edge & they will rub. Even the fiberglass rotors travel just fine using the above methods.

Thanks Brian,

Really appreciate your insights.

I'm guessing my tray on the old Landcruiser will be pretty similar height off the ground to your Patrol (about 1m). One thing I'm considering is making the ramps long enough that they can also then double as trays to hold the blades in transit. How long are your ramps to get a low enough angle not to drag the tail along the ground during loading/unloading?

Yes;
I went to the local carpet shop and got some of the carpet padding.
cut it into strips that will fit into the bottom of the box.
I also place padding between and on top of the blades.

I have always believed that trailering blades in the blade boxes was best.

I have always believed that trailering blades in the blade boxes was best.

One of the gyro guys towed his gyro on a trailer with the blades on the gyro.
He had the gyro secure and he insisted the blades were safe since he had a support from 6 inches in from the end of the blades down to the trailer floor.

Several times my husband and I were behind him on the road and we could see the end of the blades from 6 inches out to the end of the blades doing a constant up and down dance. I don't think that could have been good for the blades.
Marion

I've only see a couple gyros hauled in a truck but can attest to a trailer being much easier to load and unload. Don't know how it is in your neck of the woods but around here an old boat trailer can be had for next to nothing. Build a flat deck on it and for a few hundred bucks your in business. Or if your handy you could purpose build something like mine.

I also say if you don't have one, build a blade box. Some blades are tougher than others but they are all safer in a box.

More food for thought, when I purchased my blades they came in a box already. It was build long enough that one blade is removed from the hub, the other stays attached to the hub and fits into the box. Carpet padding between all the layers. Just a little less wear and tear.

Attachments

100_5865.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 0
Thanks so much for the insights. Very much appreciated.

Alas, a trailer would be an excellent option, but I'm tight for space at my place and a trailer just won't fit, so I need to go vertical!

By the sound of things carpet lining a metal blade box will be the way to go. I'm going to try making this box in a bottom and a top piece so that each can then act as a ramp when I set up or pack up.

I really wouldnt recommend leaving the blades on the machine while travelling no matter how well supported they are. Takes 5 minutes to take them off & 10 minutes to store them safely.
Hub bars need to be looked after.

Thanks so much for the insights. Very much appreciated.

Alas, a trailer would be an excellent option, but I'm tight for space at my place and a trailer just won't fit, so I need to go vertical!

By the sound of things carpet lining a metal blade box will be the way to go. I'm going to try making this box in a bottom and a top piece so that each can then act as a ramp when I set up or pack up.

A wooden blade box is easier to make than a metal one and works fine for me.

I try to fly everywhere but when that is not practical I carry the blades in a wooden box with padding made from moving blankets from Harbor Freight.

Last edited:
Not to start an argument,,,,,,,but,,,,,,

Not to start an argument,,,,,,,but,,,,,,

OK,,,,
Now,,,,I have decided to ,,," Again" travel with my blades mounted to my machine.
I know of several older experienced gyro guys that still travel with their blades mounted to their machines.
I personally do not recommend it but I will be again traveling with my blades mounted to my machine.
Again, I am not trying to initiate a heated argument.

At first I used wood as supports, then I used Angle steel.....and today I will be using 1" X 1" steel tubing with steel plates welded to the ends and securing the plates to the ends of my axles and clamping the blades with hinged plywood lined with carpet padding, and, with Bensen Blades there is flexing that occurs, but with Rotordyne and other more stiffer blades the flexing isn't so pronounced,,,,,,,Homer Bell traveled with his blades mounted to his Rotor Way Exec,,,,Johnny Hay travels with his blades mounted to his gyro, and Roger Wood did as well along with Frank Black. If others did I am not aware who they were.
Please note that I am about to add more bracing fore and aft to further assist me in securing my blades on and off, no more bending and kneeling down on the ground and getting up and down that is killing me!

Attachments

New Blade Supports.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
No, my lower back and hip problems have forced me to do this

No, my lower back and hip problems have forced me to do this

Cheers Ron.

Do you find that securing the blades like this takes about as long as just taking them off?
I have no choice, because my lower back pain and hip problems have made it about totally impossible to go through all the loading, unloading, assembling, dis assembling and all....it is killing me in pain!