gyrobee flying in strong gusty winds with homemade windshield

Very nice. What was your general impression regarding flight characteristics after the install vs. before? Any noticeable change in hang angle at cruise speed? You mentioned it needing to be taller to shield your face, but how well did it shield your chest? Did it feel like turbulent airflow?

I was surprised to learn about the 'bubble' that forms in similar conditions, like in the bed of a pickup truck when the tailgate is up. It's actually more aerodynamic that way, which seemed counterintuitive. Wondering if one forms behind your windscreen.

Nice job, Jeffro.

Very nice. What was your general impression regarding flight characteristics after the install vs. before? Any noticeable change in hang angle at cruise speed? You mentioned it needing to be taller to shield your face, but how well did it shield your chest? Did it feel like turbulent airflow?

I was surprised to learn about the 'bubble' that forms in similar conditions, like in the bed of a pickup truck when the tailgate is up. It's actually more aerodynamic that way, which seemed counterintuitive. Wondering if one forms behind your windscreen.

Nice job, Jeffro.
I didn't notice any difference in the flight characteristics, my gyrobee has such a strong nose up pitching moment at full power with a downloaded tail my smallish windshield didn't make a difference in the flight characteristics. one of the problem areas that could arise is in a power to idle condition at high airspeeds. I tried to simulate that by going as fast as possible and cutting the power and didn't notice any pitching moments. did some more flight testing today under calm conditions and the windscreen needs to be enlarged vertically by about three inches to block the airflow to my helmet. I will say my gyrobee appeared faster according to my hall wind meter but It may have been because its in a high pressure area.

Well it sounds like it was a success. Congrats! Based on your report of the pitching, what angle is the downward pitch of your stab? From the quick glimpse of it at the beginning of the video it looks like a Watson tail but I forget what AOA they're set at. It seems quite effective if your gyro is behaving like a LTL machine. I'm starting on a similar tail soon and might opt for a slightly lesser down force but it's hard to predict exactly. 2 degrees negative seems to be the popular number, but its height in the propwash cone affects it.

Hope you don't mind all the questions. Guess I'm hungry for GyroBee knowledge and it's been nice following your posts.

The Gyro Bee and Honey Bee(s) were copies of Martin Hollmann's Bumble Bee. Martin's prototype Bumble Bee had an instrument pod with a small windshield.

1620406102537.png
1620407204882.png

Allan Tartarian flew the first test flight. Years later I asked Allan how effective was the small windshield on the Bumble Bee? He said, "No better than on a small motorcycle. Will keep the bugs from flying into your mouth."

Since I'm guessing your gyro will be cruising 45 mph-ish, why even bother?

OK, I just answered my own question by finding your other post

Somewhere within the memory bank of my dura matter, I recall from a PRA magazine back in the mid 1990s an individual that flew a single place SnoBird from the Canadian Border to the Mexican border. The photos showed a very simple faring created out of plexiglass formed in a horizontal "U" shape, down low and around the rudder pedals. I'll have to search for the photo.

Wayne

Last edited:
Dave Noack, the former owner of SnoBird gyroplanes flew that path down the Pacific, slightly off the coastline over the waves. He wanted to show that a gyroplane could do it, w/out having to stay over land the entire trip.

The Gyro Bee and Honey Bee(s) were copies of Martin Hollmann's Bumble Bee. Martin's prototype Bumble Bee had an instrument pod with a small windshield.

View attachment 1152471
View attachment 1152472

Allan Tartarian flew the first test flight. Years later I asked Allan how effective was the small windshield on the Bumble Bee? He said, "No better than on a small motorcycle. Will keep the bugs from flying into your mouth."

Since I'm guessing your gyro will be cruising 45 mph-ish, why even bother?

OK, I just answered my own question by finding your other post

Somewhere within the memory bank of my dura matter, I recall from a PRA magazine back in the mid 1990s an individual that flew a single place SnoBird from the Canadian Border to the Mexican border. The photos showed a very simple faring created out of plexiglass formed in a horizontal "U" shape, down low and around the rudder pedals. I'll have to search for the photo.

Wayne
I remember reading about martins bumble bee design when I built my gyrobee. The worlds first ultralight gyroplane. I think doug riley may have started a kit company based on the design.