Dominator Tail on my Falcon

Gaylon

Aircraft
Roto Hawk Falcon I, PV1, VP2
Total Flight Time
Hi all,

With prompting by Ron :) I'm looking at adding a Dominator tail to my Falcon. Any information you guys can post would be appreciated in reference to such an application.

Thanks

Gaylon

Re:Dominator Tail on my Falcon

Gaylon,

Based on the picture you posted earlier, I see no reason why you would have any problem doing this. Since some of us are not familiar with your machine, please post a picture of your whole machine from the side.

As far as the Dominator type tail, I personally think you would re-fall in love with your machine the first time you fly it with the new tail.

Incidentally, you can build it yourself or get one from Ernie, or probably get Maxie to build you one to your specs.

Attachments

• 031704-3.JPG
    031704-3.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 4

Thank You Chuck :)

That is a nice shot of your tail. Does Ernie off a kit to build my own, or is there plans???

Thanks

Gaylon

Gaylon,

Prior to ordering mine, I talked to Maxie Wilds about one of his. Maxie was very cordial and offered to guide me through building it myself, as he was too busy to build it and get it to me as quickly as I wanted it. So he probably has plans that he could furnish you.

I had too much going on at the time to get involved in building it myself, so I purchased mine from Ernie, but it was built and shipped to me by Dick DeGraw. Dick can build it to your specifications also. I could be wrong, but I doubt if Ernie offers a kit or plans. So, the one I have is actually designed by Ernie (Ernie has always been very helpful, by the way), but evidently Ernie had to sub the tails out to Dick, for one reason or another. He probably has so much going on that he just can't do everything.

I am quite happy with my tail. The construction is excellent and the assembly was easy. All I had to do was pop rivet the three main pieces together.

Dick Drgraw does a lot of the machine work for Ernie including the tails, but you buy the tail from Ernie.

Yeah, you can't beat Dick's workmanship!

If I was doing it, I would ask to Dick built me one similar to the one he built for Carl Schneider. It is not a all flying tail like on the Dominator but instead has a fixed vertical stab with a separate rudder. In other words a standard tail configuration.

I asked Carl about the performance when I first saw it at Mentone and he said it was a tad sensitive in yaw and could use a little less rudder. But when I talked to him about it at Bensen Days last year he said it was just a matter of getting use to it and liked it the way it was.

One thing we have to remember about the sensitve comment is that Carl does fast better (and more often) than most!

Do the Dominator tails have negitive incidence?? If so, how much??

Thanks

Gaylon

Gaylon,

That's an interesting question. Based on the appearance and the way it handles, I would think not. However, for a totally accurate answer to your question, maybe you should ask Ernie, or maybe Mike, his son, could find out and let you know. All I know for sure is that the tail works well. I have done a lot of extreme flying and am well pleased with it.

Thanks Chuck,

Ernie was out of the office when I called. I'll try again and see if I can catch him.

Thanks

Gaylon