Yamaha Genesis 120hp engine

Todd maybe one of these times when we head down to Ft. Collins to visit grandma I would like to stop in and see your machine. From the pics and talking to you in the past I'd really like to see it. I look forward to hearing more about you flying it. Good job.

Been flying the runways again and I cannot believe this Yamaha engine, it has exceeded my expectations in every way so far, I have been flying at 65 MPH air speed and still at only about half throttle, it still has much more to offer, you can just feel it...this thing rocks!
When I pre rotate my rotor blades up my prop does not turn fast enough to give much forward thrust because of that huge pre rotator drum I had to build, so when I get my blades up to speed I have to let off the pre rotator handle and add throttle to get ground speed up before I loose too many RRPM. I have found I can go from a dead stop to decent ground speed in a flash, I am careful not to hit the throttle too quickly, (I do not want to torque roll it) but I must tell you this baby has got some major thrust, feels like I am in my Racecar when I put the petal to the metal, a real neck stretcher.
I am as giddy as a school girl about this new power I have discovered. More good news my new prop showed up today, It was supposed to take 6 weeks and showed up in less than 4 weeks so I am very happy with Warp Drive, nice when companies do better than what they promise. Now I can do some thrust tests soon, I will keep everyone posted.

These Yammie 4 strokes are finding many homes. The AV world is starting to find them and I think they will be getting very popular. Here is a link to a guy that has used the 4 cylinder in one of his off road cars and I just sold him 3- 500cc twins for his stadium light cars. They don't get off the ground as far as you guys do but it's a good look at another engine. The guy is a great builder and runs an exellent websight. There many pics some cool vids to get a feel for what these engines are like.

http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Gen4.htm

Phil (opsled)

Todd,
we are anxious as well for those test. I am glad you broke the 4 stroke barrier . Any new pictures?

New Prop

New Prop

Here are some pictures of the new prop I ordered. I was told it would be a six week wait but it arrived in less than 4 weeks, I was very surprised when it arrived so quickly. The machining on the prop hub is the best I have ever seen, Pictures can not do it justice but it puts my machining to shame.
Warp Drive has impressed me in a big way, Wow! They exceeded my expectations in both service and excellent quality workmanship.

Attachments

• Prop #1.jpg
    Prop #1.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 2
  • Prop #2.jpg
    Prop #2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Prop #3.jpg
    Prop #3.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Prop #4.jpg
    Prop #4.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 2
Way to go!

Way to go!

Todd,

Thank you for this thread.

It really made me think. — This may be a very good direction to go.

In the past I tinkered with quite a few new installations in aircraft. One was a BMW 316i fuel injected, automotive engine. This engine was a beaut! - Only HEAVY! The electronic fuel injection made her to run very smooth and trouble free at all altitudes. Very little problems after installation. I will use fuel injection any time again!

Next came a 2 stroke snowmobile engine as well as a couple of 2-stroke Rotax aircraft engines. You are correct: Two strokes have a mind of their own and carburetion can be a pain at times.

I appreciate the fact that you bought a snowmobile, and not the engine alone. In that way one can get the engine to run 100% in the snowmobile before taking it out. You can even let the dealership bring it to very high standard before removing it. Due to liability, dealers will not touch the same engine once it is in an aircraft. This way also gives the opportunity to mark every component as it comes out. — Making the task of assembling a breeze! Another factor that is important is, that by buying the snowmobile as a whole, you are sure that all the components are there! In the past, when I bought the engine, some parts (even inside closed-up parts like the carburettor) were missing. Believe me, buying parts piece-by-piece becomes very expensive. I really think that by buying the whole snowmobile and then sell the parts that you do not need, one saves money.

You did it the right way!

Congratulations and keep the information coming!

Jim

Here is a simple way to mount a gearbox to an engine not designed to have one bolt on ( no gearbox mountings ), Kawasaki jetski engine.

Attachments

• H6 037.jpg
    H6 037.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 10
Neil, I must say I like how the motor mounts are on the botton of the jet ski motor comming off the oil pan, That sure simplifies the instalation. My motor mounts are on the sides of the motor, much more work to mount.

Neil, Another Question, In the picture you posted do you believe that setup would be strong enough to safely hold 120HP without failing? I know that engine in your pic does not put out that much but with your Engineering knowledge you may know the answer.
I will be the first to admit that my setup is over engineered and is much stronger than it needs to be, I would rather go that direction than to have it under engineered and have a failure, that could be fatal.
Your comments would be appreciated.

Kawasaki 700cc twostroke, about 70 ish HP, Autoflight universal gearbox. I would make the webbing a little different next time but it's any amount strong enough. Load does not go through engine at all, engine just powers the gearbox. No problem with being over engineered as your engine package is light weight anyway. This picture is only to show that if an engine does not have a flange to mount a gearbox, it's no problem, can be done. With different webbing this unit should be good for up to 160hp , max 72" prop.

Todd,
I'm looking for a new 4 stroke engine for my Windryder. One that will fit the space available for a Rotax 532 or 582 without extensive mods to the fiberglass cowling. I was wondering what the overall dimensions of your Yamaha are. Also, which direction does the prop turn? ie like a Rotax 582 (clockwise when standing behind the prop), or like a Rotax 912 (the other way)? Thanks.

David

Todd,
I was wondering what the overall dimensions of your Yamaha are. Also, which direction does the prop turn? ie like a Rotax 582 (clockwise when standing behind the prop), or like a Rotax 912 (the other way)? Thanks.

David

The engine dimensions are (Extreme Points)
19" Long (Just the engine, No Re drive unit)
12" wide (23" wide counting air cleaners and exhaust)
20" Tall

Standing at the back looking at the crank shaft the engine turns counter clock wise.

If you put a belt drive on it your prop will turn counter clock wise as well.

If you put a gear reduction re drive box on it like I have done your prop will turn clock wise. (RH turning prop)

Todd "A Day without sunshine is like nite"

Todd
NICE JOB! I feel a certain kinship to you and enjoy your posts, as we both joined RF and came into the world of gyros at about the same time, and we're both graduates of the school of auto racin'! Way to go, dude, you really did us proud! Keep it up old bean!

I have my new Prop mounted now so I should get some thrust tests done this weekend. I took that huge pre rotator drum to the mill and gave it a diet, I am looking for any way that I can to safely reduce weight, especially rotating weight.

Attachments

• Pre Rotator #1.jpg
    Pre Rotator #1.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Pre Rotator #2.jpg
    Pre Rotator #2.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Pre Rotator #4.jpg
    Pre Rotator #4.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1
What is the diameter of that drum ?

What is the prop diameter?