Rick Martins new toy

Here are some pics of the aluminum console for the instruments.

Last edited:
That ought to hold everything I need it to just fine! Looks clean and strong. And the angle looks good Jake.

Make some templates and come on down.

I'm getting some metal this weekend, and you already have the templates. I'll trade you my 503 for some work. It looks like Rick will be flying before me; maybe I should bring my frame down to take his place when he hauls his to the powder coater.
That instrument pod and EIS dash are a hot set-up. A/S and rotor tach ought to look good right underneath the digital. Good job.

A few more pics.

It was a challenge to set up a prerotater for the plate style drive.

Console with handles to move it around.

I also hammered a few gauges in it, with a removable face plate.

Last edited:
Here’s the optimum geometry for a cone drive, Jake.

Less draggin and more rollin.

Attachments

• cone drive.JPG
    cone drive.JPG
    6.9 KB · Views: 0
Thanks Chuck it sure looks good in black and white.
The chater created by the force applied is from the ring bending around the prop hub. This causes a wave the is not conscentirc with the pivot . In your depiction the axis of pivot is trying to push the wheel up and into the ring the wave will now pull the wheel down and away from the ring.

The differance in ratio of the rubber wheel is only .2 plus you could never keep the wheel and ring dead center because of the pivot point. On a standard 3.875 wheel you would have to machine .855 of of the rubber off at a 23.5deg. angle and have no rubber left.

Keep in mind Ken Brock did the 532 square and I know many that have lasted years with no abnormal chater or wear.

Thanks Chuck your input is always welcome and very much respected by me. I wish I only new half of what you have forgotten.

Last edited:
Jake,
Good idea with the handles. I think you could figure out a way for the handles to slide into the pod when not in use.

Jake,
Good idea with the handles. I think you could figure out a way for the handles to slide into the pod when not in use.

That would be nice but I don't think Ricks bank roll could handle it !!!

I'll do it to mine though :D.

Jake

Very creative, looking good Jake!

Jake,

Tim, just use motorcycle foot pegs and then fold them up/or back, before flight.

Nice work jake! :hail:

In fact the handles will be good for horizontal refrence and to lay your feet on in a long cross country!!! :)

Last edited:
Rick and Jake- Looking nice. Cant wait to see it next Bensen Days. Want to do a double hang test on it?

Stan

Rick and Jake- Looking nice. Cant wait to see it next Bensen Days. Want to do a double hang test on it?

Stan

Thanks Stan, had fun building and designing this little bird.

Stan could you P.M. me your phone # I would like to get a better understanding of the double hang test.

I've played with the double hang test, moving my second hang in different spots down the hub bar and could not get a consistant reading. I am in need of a double hang test education.

Jake

Here are some more pics.

I like to use rod ends on my rudder and peddles, for smooth operation and some adjustment ,but every time I need to change the cables I would have to make new ends because I swedge the cable into the adapter.

Now I can make new cables without making new adapters. I guess this would be another case or REFFER MADNESS!!!!

Last edited:
Pipe dream inspiration I'd call it.

Another very sweet "GyroJake" touch to a beautiful machine.
Really nice work Jake...I enjoy seeing you come up with all these little Mod's and advances.

M-M

Pipe dream inspiration I'd call it.

Another very sweet "GyroJake" touch to a beautiful machine.
Really nice work Jake...I enjoy seeing you come up with all these little Mod's and advances.

M-M

Thanks Mike.

I enjoy comming up with new and different stuff.
Gives me a reason to think--I think !!

Changed my mind, I like this better.

I built the thimble right into the rod end receiver.
And yes : The cable goes around a radias.

Jake

Last edited: