TRADE FOR BENSEN METAL BLADES

Butch

Aircraft
Bensen Gyro
Total Flight Time
50 hrs
I have been trying to locate some bensen metal blades for some time now. I originally had 2 sets. I listed one set for sale here and a member who I will not mention came down to look at them. I was a newby at the time and I was stupid enough not to only sell him one pair for cheep but he ended up getting both pairs with rotorhead for cheep. He told me that there were scratches on them and that I could not use them on my powered gyro. He said that he would use them on gliders. The next week I had seen an add for bensens for sale with rotors with his name. I even thought that what I sold him my 2 pairs for that I would be able to buy new ones. I was wrong. I found some on this site for $ 1,200.00. I set up shipping and again like a fool I sent the money. ught with it for sale on this site that it would be ok. My shipper called me and said seller was nowhere to be found. Again I was scanned. I have several bensen parts and others that I Would like to sell or trade for bensen blades. This includes a rotax 503 with prop and gear box, a tall tale, a stock bensen tail, a bensen rotorhead, a set of wheels with drum brakes, a brock control stick, a brand new pre rotater with cable and other misc parts. Can anyone help me

May I ask why the instance on only Bensen/Brock blades. They are the same inefficient design. Your machine would perform so much better with some Razor Blades or a used set of Dragon Wings.

Bensen blades have a light, responsive feel because they are, in fact, light and run at high RRPM.

They are about the least efficient blades around, though, and their lightness and high RRPM are not all good. High-RPM, low mass blades lack much rotor damping, making the aircraft more "twitchy" and subject to PIO (porpoising).

PIO claimed many lives during the Bensen era.

May I ask why the instance on only Bensen/Brock blades. They are the same inefficient design. Your machine would perform so much better with some Razor Blades or a used set of Dragon Wings.
I do not have a pre rotater set up for the mac 90. I have all the parts but I do not know how I would install a wheel on the mack. I was only asking for bensen blades because I could start them by hand. I do have a set of aluminum extruded blades but they are to long for my bensen. I do not know if it would be ok to raise the mast in order to use them. Thank you for getting back to me

Bensen blades have a light, responsive feel because they are, in fact, light and run at high RRPM.

They are about the least efficient blades around, though, and their lightness and high RRPM are not all good. High-RPM, low mass blades lack much rotor damping, making the aircraft more "twitchy" and subject to PIO (porpoising).

PIO claimed many lives during the Bensen era.
Thank you for getting back to me

Bensen/Brock blades are as Doug described. They are good to learn on. Another set of blades that are hand startable and pretty durable are Rotor Hawks before they went to extruded blades.

The prerotator should be be easy to install and should have come with a drum that goes between the prop and the hub. The wheel attached to the flex cable drives off of that and is engaged with a cable attached to a motorcycle brake handle on the stick. I’m sure there are plenty of people here who can provide diagrams and pictures. Cranking on a Mac then having to hand start blades isn’t for the faint of heart and will test your endurance. It will however give you a fine set of lessons in blade management. The Mac will make you hate it. The only cure for the hard starting was a CDI ignition that a club member was making however they are no longer available.

Dragon Wings (even the big long ones; I flew 28-footers) are in fact hand-startable, but it's not easy and requires patience and a gentle touch. Not the best choice for newbies.

Most older blade designs (Rotordyne, Skywheels) can be hand-started a bit easier than DW's.

Bensen wood blades are easiest of all. The nose weights twist negative pitch into them at low RRPM, which gradually disappears as they speed up.

Bensen/Brock blades are as Doug described. They are good to learn on. Another set of blades that are hand startable and pretty durable are Rotor Hawks before they went to extruded blades.

The prerotator should be be easy to install and should have come with a drum that goes between the prop and the hub. The wheel attached to the flex cable drives off of that and is engaged with a cable attached to a motorcycle brake handle on the stick. I’m sure there are plenty of people here who can provide diagrams and pictures. Cranking on a Mac then having to hand start blades isn’t for the faint of heart and will test your endurance. It will however give you a fine set of lessons in blade management. The Mac will make you hate it. The only cure for the hard starting was a CDI ignition that a club member was making however they are no longer available.
My Mac already has CDI. I also have the wheel for the pre rotater but it is on the rotax that I am selling. I have not looked to see if that wheel will fit the Mac. Thank you for the reply.

My Mac already has CDI. I also have the wheel for the pre rotater but it is on the rotax that I am selling. I have not looked to see if that wheel will fit the Mac. Thank you for the reply.
I think they turn opposite directions so you would need quite a few different parts.

I found the wood blades very easy to start. They would seem to "catch" at ridiculously low RPM. They were indeed great fun to fly.

Jim
I have the plans for bensen wood blades but I do not know if I could handle the build

I have the plans for bensen wood blades but I do not know if I could handle the build
The build is pretty straightforward if you use the right glue and follow the directions.

Jim

Where can someone get the Benson plans? (Single seater, the smaller the better, preferably tractor design not unlike the Bulldog, or Scorpion...
I'd like to attempt a sort of 'crotch-rocket rotary'...

1712954099609.png

Attachments

• 1712949022800.png
    1712949022800.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I have been trying to locate some bensen metal blades for some time now. I originally had 2 sets. I listed one set for sale here and a member who I will not mention came down to look at them. I was a newby at the time and I was stupid enough not to only sell him one pair for cheep but he ended up getting both pairs with rotorhead for cheep. He told me that there were scratches on them and that I could not use them on my powered gyro. He said that he would use them on gliders. The next week I had seen an add for bensens for sale with rotors with his name. I even thought that what I sold him my 2 pairs for that I would be able to buy new ones. I was wrong. I found some on this site for $ 1,200.00. I set up shipping and again like a fool I sent the money. ught with it for sale on this site that it would be ok. My shipper called me and said seller was nowhere to be found. Again I was scanned. I have several bensen parts and others that I Would like to sell or trade for bensen blades. This includes a rotax 503 with prop and gear box, a tall tale, a stock bensen tail, a bensen rotorhead, a set of wheels with drum brakes, a brock control stick, a brand new pre rotater with cable and other misc parts. Can anyone help me
Hi Butch, I'm a new member to this group, but have been around either Bensen or Bensen clones since 1967 and still have a set of plans from Ken Brock which he gave me ; I'm now 78 and retired so am finally able to finish a B8M I obtained several years ago which had been owned by a gentleman who was no longer to fly it due to health problems.

I bought the frame for a 'song', minus the head, rotor bar, and rotors, which brings me to the reason for my contacting you - if you still have the rotorhead, how much do you need to sell it (?) ; also, would you know how many hours are on it and has it any 'stampings' in the parts such as serial numbers or part numbers.

Also, please let me know what you need for your other parts as I know another person who is interested in building a Bensen gyrocopter with a Rotax for power.

Sorry to 'hear' you were scammed during your transactions previously, and is why I've usually done business in persons.

If interested you can either text me at 951-337-7517 or e-mail me at [email protected]

here are some pics of the blades

Attachments

• 437937658_433058725760161_2830928410904536916_n(1).jpg
    437937658_433058725760161_2830928410904536916_n(1).jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 437944644_365020872576933_5147541882033175018_n.jpg
    437944644_365020872576933_5147541882033175018_n.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 13