Start of the World trip in a gyroplane on Wednesday 21 APRIL 2004 - 10 am ! ! !

Icarus

Expedition Global Eagle is the World's first attempt to fly around the world in an autogyro (gyroplane, gyro or autogiro).
This event will take approximately three and a half months to complete and will see the gyroplane visit 25 different countries.
Barry Jones (Beej), Sergeant Major Biggles wil depart from Middle Wallop,UK,home of the Army Air Corps.

Starting point : EGVP Middle Wallop UK 21 April 2004 to :
EGMH Manston UK - 2h 02' - 204 Km
EBOS Ostend BELGIUM - 3h 06' - 106 Km
ETUO Gutersloh GERMANY - 3h 50' -385Km

The Global Eagle Route : http://www.globaleagle.co.uk/movies/worldmap.htm

Follow Barry: http://www.globaleagle.co.uk/world_route.htm

We all wish him all the best: succesfull completion , safe come back and good luck !

You can send him your wishes on : http://www.globaleagle.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php

This is great!

I will follow the trip closely. Hopefully, I will get to see him come through.

Why the heck would anyone want to punish themselves like that? I love flying my gyro....but around the world?? I don't think so. My usual 100-150 mile max range suits me to a "T." Guess I'm just a long-distance wuss...unlike my Australian compatriot and these guys. Maybe if I was a couple years younger and not used to creature comforts. Of course, I'm at least 10 years younger than Paul B. :cool:

I think that having the seashore, all the mountains, canyons, valleys, lakes, desert and other great scenery within a 1/2 hour distance keeps me satisfied and not itching to roam further to see things. It's all right here.

Here I go again, completely contradicting myself from something I posted 5 minutes ago. I think that my experiences in flying from Sandy Eggo to Buckeye, about 300 miles, and my adventures with the fuel, may have soured my outlook a little on going long distances. For those that don't recall, my probe in my tank was slightly short of the bottom of the tank, and even though I was almost positive that I had enough to get to YUMA MCAS, when that needle dropped off into the red, that creepy feeling set in and knotted my stomch. I didn't know about that gap, because I never before let the gas get down to that last 1/4 tank. I thought that the probe pretty much bottomed out.

So I wound up landing in the sand next to a bunch of off-roaders who were camped out and playing with their toys in the desert. Someone donated 6 gallons of gas from a sand-encrusted can, getting sand into my tank and soon burning up one of my fuel pumps. I was so excited to find some gas, I forgot about the precautions I should have taken to filter the gas. Then, my take-off attempts were futile in the soft sand. I couldn't get up enough speed on the bumpy sand. I managed to lift off once, but settled back down behind the power curve. I had to land or smack into a sand dune. The choice was obvious. Luckily I did have enough speed for a soft landing. Some of the people there got a flat-bed trailer, we loaded her up, drove about 3 miles to a remote road, and I took off while they blocked any possible traffic down the road. Off-roaders are neat people. One said that I gave them enough to talk about for the next 2 years.

When I'm about 50 miles from Buckeye, the needle takes another dive and here I am again. I see 2 tractors planting or plowing or something and I'm thinking of how and where to land near them and mooch some tractor gas. You know the saying about how the "Big Man" takes care of fools and drunks? I hadn't had a drink in ages. I pressed on past the tractors, as I couldn't see any place to land near them. I then saw a construction yard that was closed with several trucks in the yard. I actually considered landing on the road and stealing some gas out of the tanks and leaving a note that I would send them a check. With my luck it would have been diesel.

Anyway, as I'm scanning for a place to land, I notice a little glimpse of something orange in the distance. It's right next to a large grove of trees... IT'S A WINDSOCK!! It was this bevy of homes around a small lake with their own airstrip! I landed and someone came out to greet me on a 4-wheeler. Unlike my brain-fart in the desert, I checked the 6-gallon mark I had drawn on my tank, and there was actually about 7 gallons in my tank. I meant to carry my "mirror-on-a-stck" with me, so I could check that mark if need be, but of course I forgot to bring it. If I had it with me, I could have confirmed that I had more than enough gas to make it to Yuma and wouldn't have had to land in the sand and buy a new fuel pump.

Where am I going with this? Oh yeah. I had seen some great looking, cylindrical aluminum tanks at this off-road store near the airport awhile back. I recall that they seemed reasonably priced. If I added one on each side near the thrustline, that would probably encourage me to be a little more adventurous as to leaving the area more. Anyone ever added a couple tanks like this? The feed from the tanks to my seat tank would be pretty simple. I'm going to go take a look today and see what sizes they come in. They had nice, solid-looking mounting brackets included. Gimme some opinions.

Last edited:
If I could afford the time and the money to fly around the world in a gyro I would do it in a HEARTBEAT. :D

Wow! I already see a couple of red polyethylene tanks installed to match my Prince prop, seats and carpet. I'll see if the local store has these now to get a better eye-ball on them. I wonder if an extra 75 to 100# of fuel just behind the mast would affect the flight characteristics. Can someone give me some insight on this? "Tanks" for the link, Toby. I just got a new VDO tach (ha-ha-ha! Yes...another manly gauge) and I'm almost positive that this is where I ordered it from.

Ken, the next time you think about landing in a field and asking a farmer for fuel from his tractor, remember that almost all farm tractors run on diesel. That would be okay though if you install that turbine you were looking at.