More Hanger Stuff!

route66

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
c-182/ RAF AAI Mod.
Total Flight Time
I have a New Barnett "Shoebox" Inline Gear Reduction Unit with mounting plate, starter adapter for EJ22-25. 3.5" low offset from crankshaft. It is 2-1, prop turns same direction as engine-Thrust both ways. Rated up to 600HP. Heavy duty Hardened Racing Gears, CNC machined Case from solid 6061-T6. Heavy Duty roller bearings throughout. O-ring seals, No gaskets to mis-align. 8.5" from engine to prop. 55lbs. Nice unit if your looking for a New quality gear drive. Paid $3575.00 will take $2500 Can Deliver to benson Days if you need it. I also have a 1998 EJ-22 200 hp twin turbo engine with ecu that came out of a car with only 8500 miles if anyone is interested I can make a package deal.

Attachments

• barnettgbox2.JPG
    barnettgbox2.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 0
  • barnettgbox.JPG
    barnettgbox.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 0
  • barnettgbox1.JPG
    barnettgbox1.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, how old is that gearbox? The reason I ask is that it has always intrigued me but I don't know of anyone that has flown one. It looks like Jerrie changed the design somewhat from the original 'shoebox'.

Dean, It was purchased in 2001. I have only seen them on a couple FW projects and was told the owners were real happy with no problems. Seems well built and is simple in design. If nobody needs it I will someday use it in a project.

Re-Drive

Re-Drive

This is a nice looking unit. I have heard and read that a 2 to 1 ratio is very problematic to piston engines. There is a natural frequency that will setup at various RPM's that could cause the crank to break. I know of one person who had this ratio and his crank broke somewhere around 250 hours. What does this system use to handle this problem? I've no personal experience with this ratio but have done enough research to convince me the ratio should always be odd to the engine. Here is a link to a website that really gets into the nuts and bolts of reduction drives and ratios. It's allot of reading but very worth while if you are wanting to know more about them.

http://www.epi-eng.com/index.html

Bring a snack when you start reading this site. It is full of info.
Greg

Greg, I could not access the link you gave- I was not aware of any harmonic problems and have never heard of any with the Barnett Shoebox. The problems I have heard with geardrive boxes are that ones with gaskets have caused problems. They can be tightened unevenly and cause the alignment to be off on the bearings. This can cause gear, bearing and seal damage. The Barnett used O-rings rated to withstand 1500 lbs. pressure reducing the alignment problem. There is also the 1/2" monting plate and shock drive which was designed so no shock is tranferred back to the crankshaft from the prop output. I have not heard of any problems with this drive and hope I can get more info from your linked site. Maybe someone out there has used a Barnet Shoebox and can fil us in with their thoughts. Barnet sold a bunch of them and hopefully we can get some input from actual users. Thanks

Link

Link

:confused: Strange,
I just clicked on the link and opened it up in another window. Try doing a cut and paste in your browser. Let me know if it works. Anyone else not able to open the site?

Please understand I have no experience with your/this reduction drive. It may not be a problem with this drives construction especially if there is a really good device that dampens the power pulses to and from the prop.

Grego

I was able to access now, don't know what was wrong before.Could be me. I haven't read it all yet, had to get another beer and more chips. Hopefully someone who has used and is familliar with the Barnett redrive can tell us their experiences with it. I only know what I have read and what I know of 1 fixed wing using it. He has 380+ hours and loves it with no problems. I did want to use it although I could not get the thrust to centerline with my project using this. If someone does not come up that needs this I will find a place for it in future projects. I do hope someone that has used or been arround a Barnett Shoebox will post what they have seen and know. We all want to know!

Mass of info there

Mass of info there

G'day Greg,

There's a mass of info on the site that you suggested that we link too. Will make for good reading when the moment arises. It raises the question whether a three blade prop will balance the moments between the prop and crank better than a two blade and thus reduce the vibration?

Ted

Info

Info

Ted,
Be sure you have a good snack when you start covering all the pages. It's a lot of info some too technical for me, but I like to read it. I can find the answers to what I don't understand. Good luck in your quest.
Grego :D