Wrens Fall Fly-in aka ROC 2010

What a great group we had at Wrens. Such a welcoming and tolerant Airport. John did a super job on setting the place up for us to accommodate the needs of everyone. I would like to thank everyone who showed up either from the local chapter or the neighboring states as the Carolina and the Floridian chapters (uhum uhum morons!!!!! where the heck were you slackers?) and especially the closest neighbor Chris from Texas!!!!! Chris you rule! Barry and Ron as usual were constantly giving rides and really made the even enjoyable and unforgettable for a lot of folks. We really would loved to have any CFI show up as we had a bunch of guys with pocket full of money ready to spend........ I am shaking my head a bit not understanding why we can't get them to come down and make some money...? Thanks to Robert for helping me out with taking pics and video footage (I am glad you didn't have your gyro this way you were helping out LOL). Thanks again everyone for the good time it was really nice to meet ya'll new comers and it was great to see the old goers.... Wrens was a great experience and trouble free....as far as I can tell. That's my story and I am sticking to it! And I don't wanna hear any whining about the event! Period. :) Enjoy the pics all ya'll .

Last edited:
Great Photo's Gabor, I see you got some air time, now get back to work on your gyro... :)
Oh man I have been up for close to 24 hours and I still have the rush. Who needs sleep? OK I do so color me gone LOL

Great photos everyone. Looks like a good time was had by all. Is this flyin the 1st weekend in Oct every year? I want to make it next year but I'll have to turn in my 2011 vacation picks by Dec.

Tim I think it is becoming just that. It really is worth to attend it. Lots of fun and very welcoming place. Lotsa flying and lots of potential landing area called cotton fields :) But you got to pick your own damn....well you know the sayin' man!

Wrens was unbelievable. Perfect in every sense except one. There were last minute emergencies for many folks who were torn between this and that. Some attendees had family members in the hospital, some had out-of town guests that they had to babysit. So we really missed you guys and yer gyros. It was great to have Jon Carleton there when I arrived. Kinda like my "ringer", an advance scout who really was a great help in "supervising" my first-ever use of the "Little Mac", the rotor rack. (Little Mac refers to the Mackinaw Bridge, this thing kinda looks like that.) You know, I forgot the step ladder but no way was I gonna turn around and go get knowing there would be one there if I needed it. I never needed it! I am so happy to NOT lift the blades up and down or need a small crane. Talk about a fast, single-handed trailer. still some bugs to work out here and there, but what a time saver and a back saver.

The EAA Chapter 172 ( I hope I have that right) put on a really great breakfast for us. Those folks was what they had in mind when they told us yankees about the "friendly South" when we was jus pups growin up.

Ron spent so much time powderin his nose in the morning we were all late gettin to the airstrip. Then, when we get there, he says, "Allright, we gotta get to breakfast by 9:00, let's get going!" OMG.

Everyone dresses like we're goin to the arctic and away we go. By the time we pass the 1000' tower, Grant is a mile ahead of me, and everybody else is a mile ahead of grant. Tex held back in the Monarch, and tried to fly as slow as me, but he kept sinkin and got fed up and took off when he knew I could see the grass strip.

But everyone kept disappearing in the trees...Where the heck was the strip?

After breakfast, I promised the kids of the chapter they could get Young Eagles flights with our club, and by golly they all showed up at Wrens shortly after we got back.

Seeing a 10-yr old boy hold out his arms like wings on a low fly-by was worth the trip alone. I do the same thing. Well, I just do it to air the pits out...

The pOlice came by in the morning, and I asked if it was OK to fly into the mining quarry. He gave me the nod, and Grant and I lit out in the late afternoon.

What a fantastic flight. The water below an electric turquoise day glow, the walls of the pit exposing millenial layers of brilliant red and starkly contrasting white earth, those walls eroding well above my head where I snaked through hte "canyon" from one end to the other. First higher, feeling the currents, going lower and lower on each pass as the route was learned and processed. Gyro hovercraft, in the end.

I came to the conclusion that if God wanted man to fly, we would have been gifted with gyrocopters. Oh. We are.

Is Gyrocraft a recognized term? Or is it only gyroplane, since gyrocopter is akin to calling everything an Air Commander?

Somehow I can't get wrapped around the term gyroplane very well. To me, that is a tractor.

Last edited:
If this fly-in was the "Blue-Collar Gyro Tour", I think I'd be Ron White.

That's only cuz Grant's too young. He had me beat.

We had 2, live, Beautiful, female musicians for entertainment Saturday! You missed it. Gerg croaked out a rendition of "Peaceful, Easy Feelin" while They were on break. nymph Goddesses, they were. I should know.

Overheard at the breakfast: Someone said,"All the gyros look so different from each other!"

We may have been a small wing, but we were a good representation.

My pixels

My pixels

Here's what my lens grabbed...

Attachments

• 0150.jpg
    0150.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0152.jpg
    DSCF0152.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 0
  • 0149.jpg
    0149.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0153.jpg
    DSCF0153.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0154.jpg
    DSCF0154.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0155.jpg
    DSCF0155.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0156.jpg
    DSCF0156.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 0
Here is set two

Attachments

• DSCF0157.jpg
    DSCF0157.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0158.jpg
    DSCF0158.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0159.jpg
    DSCF0159.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0160.jpg
    DSCF0160.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0161.jpg
    DSCF0161.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0166.jpg
    DSCF0166.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0165.jpg
    DSCF0165.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0162.JPG
    DSCF0162.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 0
Here is continued III

Attachments

• DSCF0166.jpg
    DSCF0166.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0167.jpg
    DSCF0167.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0168.jpg
    DSCF0168.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0171.jpg
    DSCF0171.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0172.jpg
    DSCF0172.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0173.jpg
    DSCF0173.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0175.jpg
    DSCF0175.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0176.jpg
    DSCF0176.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 0
Great photos everyone. Looks like a good time was had by all. Is this flyin the 1st weekend in Oct every year? I want to make it next year but I'll have to turn in my 2011 vacation picks by Dec.

Usually it is the 2nd weekend of October, this year was a fluke, cause our new BOD were still wet behind the ears with stuff like picking dates and so on..... next year I believe it will be the 2nd weekend as in years past