Welcome Mat

Thanks for the phone # for parts @ RAF in Canada. Very helpful. Need to measure (accurately) the housing for the prerotator to determine the length needed for the internal cable. Isn't the internal cable roughly around $100? I saw a post about a place in Illinois that charged $322????? Or, was that for the entire setup? He was addressing a shorter prerotator cable and was getting faster spin-up...

Gaylan;

Are you a member of the PRA? If not, might I suggest you join up. Lot's of necessary and usefull info available.

I have to ask...didn't you get a p/r cable in your kit? Do you have the old p/r assembly or the newer one?

If you look at the RAF Section and the P/R thread you'll see what I did with my p/r to get considerably more rrpm.

Dick Wunderlich, in Illinois, Tel...815-838-0450...can make you an inner cable as well as an outer sheath to any length you want. The inner will cost $99. I bought one outer and two inner cables. With shipping, it cost me $322. A lot cheaper than getting it from RAF, and it's better quality.

Are you able to post some photos, if need be?!

Cheers :)

Hi I'm Riaan.

Been interested in flying for a while now, and Gyroplanes have caught my eye.

But before I think of buying one (Extremely high costs for me), or going for a payed joy-ride, I do as I always do - RESEARCH !!! -

So please bear with me as I might ask stupid questions.

I hope to learn as much as posible and in the future have my own wings.

Harry S.:
Sorry for such a delay getting back to you (et.al.). I've been distracted recently...had to go out & land a JOB...time to go back to work (Jan. 2).

Harry, I'm so low tech you wouldn't believe. I don't have a digital camera (yet), but sure I'm getting one for Christmas & I don't have a scanner on this old 1999 Gateway pc. Oldest daughter (B.S. in photo journalism is getting me one for a gift, and she'll even have to show me how to use the "usb???" port to download...never done anything like that...heck, i'm having a difficult getting around on this forum!!!! A few days ago was looking for the "Welcome Mat" & couldn't find it. Anyhow.

Now that I've found a decent job & will only work 4 days (32 hours) a week, I'll have both some time & some $ to get flying.

Thank You, Harry S.

Hi All,

I've been interested in flying gyro's since 1988. I've had one flying lesson in Buckeye, AZ and thought it was the coolest thing. I had the wife convinced about flying gyro's until she started asking questions to her friends husband who's an A/P. We'll that went south fast. So I'm planning my launch from the ground in a Gyro without the wife around :) I don't have much flight time as a P.I.C. but Man, I have alot of air miles. I have jumped around different type of flight. Now i'm wanting to do some sailplane, hanglider and ultralight/gyro.

so if anyone is in the Tulsa, OK area. I would like to hear from you.

Merry Christmas and Stay Safe all you GyroNuts

Hello all. My name is Ryan Blair from sandoval IL. My father is the new owner of Snobird and I must say we are both very exited about building top quality gyro's. I know there is alot of people in the gyro community that are asking alot of questions about snobird and I will do my best to answer any questions that you may have. Just to answer some questions that have already been asked. Hopefully production will start spring/summer 2007, as we are in the midst of construction on our facility. and yes there will be a larger horizontal stabilizer approx 8-9 sq ft. The smaller stabilizer will still be availible as we have quite a few made already made. I will gladly let all of you know that are interested of any new developments........

I'm a new member, lost in the forum procedure, coe numbers, dang near disoriented as being on the computer, you ppls. seem to be a good bunch of guys& will hopefuly keep me on track, or the rotor tracking. I have a 72hp Bensenthat need a good going over, but they tell me It will never see light under the tires, cause I'm no feather weight I plan on hanging a Subaru of about twice the power, I hope to get advice from the members as to the structural ability of the Bensen, is it necessary to drop the keel & raise the rotor head,seems like a lot of work that I'm not capable of on my own, anyhoo let me introduce myself, Don. MacKinnon
p.o box 790
1394 plantation rd
Minden ,Ontario, K0M2K0
Canada ph: 705 286 6908

I'm a new member, lost in the forum procedure, coe numbers, dang near disoriented as being on the computer, you ppls. seem to be a good bunch of guys& will hopefuly keep me on track, or the rotor tracking. I have a 72hp Bensenthat need a good going over, but they tell me It will never see light under the tires, cause I'm no feather weight I plan on hanging a Subaru of about twice the power, I hope to get advice from the members as to the structural ability of the Bensen, is it necessary to drop the keel & raise the rotor head,seems like a lot of work that I'm not capable of on my own, anyhoo let me introduce myself, Don. MacKinnon
p.o box 790
1394 plantation rd
Minden ,Ontario, K0M2K0
Canada ph: 705 286 6908
[email protected]

Welcome Don

There are many on the forum that are very knowledgeable of the Bensen. We really need some information.

Now be honest so that we can help

How much do you weigh?
What type of motor do you have on your gyro now is it a mac?
Can you twist a wrench or work a drill?
You can probably ask one of our members such as FRIENDLY or one of the other members on the forum.

new guy

new guy

Hello Everyone:

I am a new guy to the forum, having just joined yesterday. I am also a new guy to rotary wings altogether as all of my flight experience up to this point has been fixed wing. I am a private pilot, single engine land and sea, with an instrument rating. My time is split with about 3/4 in land planes and about 1/4 in seaplanes.

I sold my last airplane in 2000 and since then have flown mainly with friends. Somehow it just isn't the same as having your own bird though and I have been thinking a lot about getting another one for quite awhile. For some reason that I haven't completely figured out yet, gyros really seem to appeal to me. I have researched them a lot but I don't even know anyone who has one, has flown one, etc., so everything about them is new to me.

My research has pointed me in the direction of the SparrowHawk. I have a million questions about gyros in general and the SparrowHawk in particular. Does anyone know if they are still in business? I sent an email inquiry to them a few weeks ago (to American Autogyro from their website) and never even had a reply. I then sent an email to a dealer for them in AZ and never got a reply either. This kind of makes me wonder if they are stilll around and a viable company.

Anyway, I have visited this forum several times now as a guest and everyone here seems quite knowledgeable so I thought I would join and throw some questions out for discussion. I will probably go on over to the SparrowHawk forum and see if anyone there knows what's up.

Thanks,
Kurt

Welcome Curt
Yes the sparrow hawk is a wonderful machine and you are at the right place to learn everything you would ever want to know about gyro's and more.
StanFoster here on this forum is a sparrow hawk dealer and he has oodles of knowledge about them and I believe he would be there to support you from beginning to end and even beyond, He is a good man.
PS another dealer in Denver CO is John Revenbour, Also a good man. Good luck and hope to see you here often.

Kurt: I would love to talk to you about the SparrowHawk. Even though I am a dealer for the company...I became a sales rep only after being asked to because of my constant flying photos and enthusiasm for it. Then they promoted me to sales manager when the sales started coming in. Its a lot of fun talking and demonstrating the SparrowHawk.

It is a very nice gyrocopter and I have never regretted one second in building it. The company is FIRST class to deal with....any problems they are a phone call away....I have been giving demo flights and I would be happy to give you one. It will be a flight you wont forget....not just around the patch...but my type of flying that I post pictures of all the time. There is nothing like a gyrocopter.

Anyway...you can contact me by e-mail..at [email protected] or got to the companies website at www.americanautogyro.com

Thanks Todd for the comments......and Kurt...I hope to hear from you. Just go to the "Flying Photos" section....and you may find a couple of pictures I post.....ok....a couple of hundred......I L-O-V-E this gyro.

Stan

Last edited:
new guy

new guy

Thank you Racer and Stan. It is nice to know there is a place like this for those who share common interests. I'm sure I will get an education about gyros and the SparrowHawk here.

Stan, I will be in touch with you by email shortly.

Thanks again,
Kurt

Welcome to the Forum, Kurt.

I'm sure you'll be reading from this forum for many hours, commencing now.

Cheers :)

WELCOME KURT

You are at the place where camaraderie and gyros come together. Have fun in the learning and the friendship will be experienced far into the future.

Thank you both Harry and Thom. I have already spent a great deal of time reading many of the informative threads, and I plan to read a lot more. There is a wealth of information here from a lot of very knowledgeable people.
Kurt