New member, thinking about building a Hornet.

gilgsn

Total Flight Time
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post to this forum, so I'll introduce myself briefly before asking a couple questions.. I am 43, moved to Sarasota Florida from France seventeen years ago. I used to tow advertising banners on the French coast with an ultralight (replaced the 447 with a 532 ;-) it's legal over there, with an extension to your UL license. After a couple seasons, and the government taking about 60% of my money, I decided “screw this, I'm doing something else.” I have about 400Hrs of ultralight, and 250 of regular airplanes (PPL). Now I'm a freelance programmer. I miss flying a whole lot though, especially the ultralight kind, you know what I mean. By the way, I have an aviation web site: https://planenews.com

Here is a video of me flying my last “ultralight” : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVfRBZRmm4s
That was more than 20 years ago.

I've been looking at the Hornet since the first documentation came out, and I was looking at the Gyrobee before that. That whole time, I've been reading about gyros, watching Youtube videos, etc. I never started building one, because I just couldn't afford it. Now I'm doing a little better, and I could build one taking my time. However, reading the numerous accident reports leaves me doubting the safety of pusher gyros. I emailed Ron Heron about his LW-3 and he told me it could make ultralight weight with a light engine and the bare minimum. I like the unobstructed visibility of the Hornet though. The construction method doesn't matter, I can weld. Maybe you guys can help me decide.

I am 6'2'', 200Lbs. Presumably, a 447 would work, but I heard they were discontinued, is that right? A 447 would probably allow a 10Lbs. Prerotator, but I doubt it would work with a 503. Breaks would be nice too. I don't care for instruments, but the strict minimum.

I will try to make it to Wauchulla for Bensen days, as it isn't that far from here. Hopefully I'll be able to get a ride, which would be my first in a gyro. This way, I might meet some of you guys too. I also plan on writing an article for my site also. Maybe a bit of flying will alleviate my last reservations about building a gyro.

Have a great day,

Gil.

Welcome Gil. Good luck in your decision making progress. I am interpreting your post to say you are going to attempt an ultralight build. At 200 pounds an attempt to stay ultralight will likely result in a machine that is at very best a marginal performer. It seems like a lot of work to go through when the consensus of those who have done it are that it results in a machine that leaves you wanting more.

With your PPL license it will be a fairly easy matter for you to get a sport pilot add on. This will require one CFI to train you to a level that he feels you are competent to test and another to give you an actual check ride, although the name for that check ride is something else.

With that out of the way you could move up to a 582 or one of Racers Yahmaha engines and have a machine that might be all you ever need.

Thanks for promoting Bensen Days for us on your site, I hope to see you there.

If you are in to building then build
but if you think you can save $$ by building think again
with the economy the way that it is there are great deals out there. Many times you can not build a gyro for the price.
the hornet plans are good to a point the final stages are not there and you will need help from a gyronut to finnish.

The fact that the 447 was discontinued does not mean that there are none of them available. They can be found, and rebuilt as necessary.

Thanks Joe,

If I go for a registered gyro, then I'd probably opt for the LW-3. I can try to build it as an ultralight, and if it doesn't work, register it. The LW-3 plans have info for a short-frame ultralight as an option. The cost of an engine is the biggest item, and the smaller two-stroke are cheaper.

Hi John, I don't think building is cheaper, but it allows to spread the cost over a longer period; kind of like a loan, but without deadlines. You pay-as-you-build. I have to say also that working on computers leaves me wanting to work with my hands, building something I can actually see and touch, if that makes any sense..

I posted the Bensen Days announcement here:
https://planenews.com/archives/12214

I will definitely try to make it there.

Gil.

My son and I have a Hornet. He did most of the build, I financed and researched.

We did initially want an ultralight however in the end decided to go registered and have some of the extras which to my mind make for more comfortable flying.

We went for the 503, Dragon Wing rotors, which pretty well require a prerotator, so one of those, the option of ten galls of fuel instead of five, a pod and some instruments.

The plans are fairly comprehensive and my son who had no prior mechanical knowledge, has managed to complete a machine which flies. We managed it over the course of a year and our build log is on the Hornet website.

You will need to research and do some homework to complete it and this site is the best resource for that with many helpful people. Learn how to use the search function and you can go back through various topics and threads on all sorts of questions you will have on every aspect of the build.

We were going to keep a track of the exact price but found that depressing. It was not less than $12,000.

Yes we know what 'Dudu' is, however it means Insect in Swahili and what my son wanted to call it. Nyigu, Mavu or Bungu which are Hornet he did not know.

Attachments

• New member, thinking about building a Hornet.
    Dudu.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 0
    Our Hornet.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 0
Thanks Doug, I imagine quite a few 447s must be floating around.. Leigh, I saw your video on youtube, looks great! It seems like you have an electric prerotator, I see the battery under the seat and wire going to the rotor head. You don't seem to have much extras other than the prerotator and the instrument pod.. $12,000 doesn't seem too bad with a 503 and some extras. Are you going to Bensen Days? I yet have to decide: 1. To build a gyro or not, and 2. A hornet or a LW-3.. Anyway, your Hornet looks great. Do you know approximately how many hours you spent building?

Gil.

Here's a picture of the ultralight LW (red gyro), Ron used a 90hp MAC originally then went to the 72hp MAC. Once he added the weight of a full fuselage covering it was not ultralight anymore and you would need to do a weight comparison between any other engine, like a Rotax, and the MAC to see if it could still be built as an ultralight. Unless built exactly as Ron's original ultralight version I would not count on a LW to make ultralight. There was no pre-rotator on the ultralight version, the minimum Rotax I would install would be a 582.

Attachments

Ultralight Littlewing.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 0
    bois32.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 0
    bois33.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 0
    bois36.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 0
    bois38.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 0
    bois39.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Well spotted Gil. Yes we got our prerotator from Aviomania in Cyprus. Seems to do the job very well, nicely made and good service from Nicolas.

We come in at 350lbs. We beefed up on certain things like the fuel tray and foot plate and some other areas. Handles nicely, but then I can only compare it to the Bensen I fly over here.

Yes hoping to make it to B days. Have a foot op this week which is going to stop my flying for a bit but hope it sorted by then.

Unfortunately didn't keep a record of hours. Stu had it in the garage so could pop out whenever he had spare time. That ended when we moved it to Zephyrhills which is an hour and a half away.

I have definitely had more fun on this than any other flying I have done. Try it for yourself and get a ride with someone. Should be an opportunity to do that at B days.

Yes Leigh, that's my plan. I can't wait to fly one. Thanks for the photos Alan, that red LW looks pretty light.. I am very familiar with the Rotax 532, which was the precursor of the 582. That yellow LW was probably photographed in France, at the Bois de la Pierre meeting (I noticed 'bois' in the file name) though it doesn't have an F tail number. ooks pretty nice.

Gil.

Welcome Gil, if you can get over to Wauchula any given weekend we have 3 more gyros flyin most of the time. Dave Seace can put a smile on anyones face in the backseat. Your right down the road from us.

Gil. I second J.R.
Distance is not too much for you so recommend you set up a date before Bensen Days and you can get more time in. Bensen Days can be quite busy and flight time at a premium.
Then come back at Bensen Days and see all the gyros and talk to owners.
JMHO.

That's a good idea guys, thanks, indeed Sarasota is pretty close.. How do I contact Dave Seace? Is he an instructor? What machine does he teach in?

Gil.

Stuart after his first ride on Dave's Dominator. He loved it.

Had these. Not sure if they have changed or not

Dave Seace Wauchula
Gyro BFI
David Seace home: 813-634-2809 and cell: 813-393-8569.

Attachments

Stu on Daves Dom.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Davies bird has seen alot of newbies, I feel the sweetest two-place all things considered. Every weekeend from fridaynight to sundaynight.