My first engine out!

Great landing!!!

(b) No person may begin a flight in a rotorcraft under VFR conditions unless (considering wind and forecast weather conditions) there is enough fuel to fly to the first point of intended landing and, assuming normal cruising speed, to fly after that for at least 20 minutes.

Even if you're not going anywhere, you need 20 minutes of fuel when you launch.

The outcome may have been very different in a normal aircraft.

Do you always have as much stick shake?

I thought that was the whole reason for choosing a Gyro.

You fly until you run out of gas. Then you auto back to terra firma. :)

Safer than ballooning.

(b) No person may begin a flight in a rotorcraft under VFR conditions unless (considering wind and forecast weather conditions) there is enough fuel to fly to the first point of intended landing and, assuming normal cruising speed, to fly after that for at least 20 minutes.

Even if you're not going anywhere, you need 20 minutes of fuel when you launch.

It was a miscalculation on how much fuel I had left in the tank. I thought I had at least 30 minutes left, but I was wrong. The flights that morning were only in the pattern to test adjustments in my rotor.

rotor control

rotor control

I realize you just had your first engine out, and that in and of itself is a pretty scary thing, but you handled it excellently! nice landing and touchdown, great job!

Well done!

Well done!

Nice job ... well handled .... all that hopping & patternwork .... no engine landing - just a non-event! :yo: Nice video edit ... show thought process& actions!

Nice handling of an unscheduled landing Bobby!

Nice handling of an unscheduled landing Bobby!

That is a very nicely put together video.

Why is the rudder at near full deflection in the tail shot?

I find benefit in having a yaw string to help me achieve coordinated flight.

That is a very nicely put together video.

I've wondered the same thing. I've got a small "weather vane" type yaw indicator and I keep it centered as much as I can with that air command tail.
I'm in the process of restoring an old Dominator tail with an anti servo tab. it weighs 2 lbs less than the stock Air Command tail. I should have it mounted next week. I'm keeping it as far back on the keel as I can. I'm not going to "short-couple" it. More rudder (with stable centering), and more H-stab has to be good.

To keep the gyro from yawing to the right. This is normal for the Air Command flying rudder. Mine does the same thing and so do two other Air Commands from our chapter.

Yep.

To keep the gyro from yawing to the right. This is normal for the Air Command flying rudder. Mine does the same thing and so do two other Air Commands from our chapter.

I wonder if the machine needs a degree or two of engine (thrust line) side offset?
It will have a tall tail on it next weekend. Maybe that will help.

That was perfect as a engine out .Good call . Stick shake is iffy Capt D IS RIGHT why do yall post stuff when you messed up .I think I am at forty at engine failers . All landings at engine idle when it quits then you are ok .

I wonder if the machine needs a degree or two of engine (thrust line) side offset?
It will have a tall tail on it next weekend. Maybe that will help.

My understanding is that a tall tail will take care of that.

Nice "non-event" deadstick landing. At that stage of the pattern, you should be moments away from throttling to idle anyway. Landing without the racket is actually very pleasant once you get used to it.

The rudder deflection during powered flight is understandable. That's just life with a short vertical fin. I'm surprised to see it still deflected once things get quiet, though. In theory, you no longer need any offset at that point.

Experimenting with the pedals was probably not uppermost in your mind during an unplanned engine-out, though.

Do you fly McCutchen blades? In my experience, they vary from set to set in the smoothness you can achieve. One set I had exhibited that much shake no matter what I did with the teeter block adjustments or spanwise balance. Fiberglass products start life as a sticky mess of liquid plastic and cloth; no surprise that they are not perfectly uniform from set to set. OTOH, metal blades should be adjustable to less shake than shown in the video.

Do you fly McCutchen blades? In my experience, they vary from set to set in the smoothness you can achieve. One set I had exhibited that much shake no matter what I did with the teeter block adjustments or spanwise balance. Fiberglass products start life as a sticky mess of liquid plastic and cloth; no surprise that they are not perfectly uniform from set to set. OTOH, metal blades should be adjustable to less shake than shown in the video.

I'm still adjusting them. I've got the up and down bump out of them, now to reduce the stick shake. If I get a rainy day at the hangar, I might take them apart and weigh and adjust each rotor, then start again. (maybe)

I've wondered the same thing. I've got a small "weather vane" type yaw indicator and I keep it centered as much as I can with that air command tail.
I'm in the process of restoring an old Dominator tail with an anti servo tab. it weighs 2 lbs less than the stock Air Command tail. I should have it mounted next week. I'm keeping it as far back on the keel as I can. I'm not going to "short-couple" it. More rudder (with stable centering), and more H-stab has to be good.

The propeller wash comes off in a spiral. Therefore the tail has to be angled to stay in a straight line with the airflow.

Although it works well, the flying tail is not the best solution, but it is the lightest solution, and the Commander could have never met the Ultralight weight limit without the flying tail.

I would never design a gyro with a flying tail again, but then I would never design a gyro that would meet the Ultralight category again as well, which opens up new alternatives.

My original Air Command tail weighed 16 lbs. The aluminum tall tail I'm putting on weighs 14 lbs without the top braces. I'm sure when it's done, it'll be a wash on the weight, but having the ability to rest my legs while flying is priceless.