Mentone '10 CFI Meeting

Wow....

Wow....

You are one of the few in this thread whom I can understand. Thanks for the clarity of thought. Proper spelling and grammar is obviously not required to be a proficient pilot.

Now I have heard everything, Somebody says Heron is the only one they can understand!?!
It's a mad,mad,mad,mad world.

Ben S

gyro CFIs are so dense that they can’t understand why a yo-yo spins when you turn it loose and let it roll down the string or why a rotary lawn sprinkler spins when the water is turned on.

It’s particularly troublesome when a former FAA official displays such abysmal ignorance.

But a student would be well advised to ignore technical advice proffered by his drill instructor and to obtain a copy of the Bensen training manual.

Of the CFIs that I know personally, the technically qualified could be counted on the fingers of one hand.

During the Bensen era, those individuals that could read, comprehend and follow the Bensen training manual were overwhelmingly successful; those that couldn’t or wouldn’t, weren’t.

I was the president of the Sunstate Rotor Club during 10 or so years of the period under discussion and kept close tabs of all accidents. I can’t recall a single individual that so much as scratched a finger in learning to fly a gyro using the Bensen syllabus. Sure, people did kill themselves in gyros; individuals who said; “I don’t need no stinkin’ book to fly a lawn chair.”

Chuck,

I truly expected more from you.

Michael Burton

Chuck,

I truly expected more from you.

Michael Burton
How so Michael?

Surely you don’t believe that “when that big drag chute is lost, there’s nothing to hold the top of the mast back” and it tumbles?

If so, I truly expected more from you.

No. The reason for my disappointment lies in your denigration of groups of people and fallacious logic. I see no reason to stoop to these tactics to make a valid point.

Micheal,

To be fair, you did leave off the first part of Chuck's statement when you quoted him.
Here it is in Blue:
It totally eludes me, Stevie, why so many gyro CFIs are so dense that they can’t understand why a yo-yo spins when you turn it loose and let it roll down the string or why a rotary lawn sprinkler spins when the water is turned on.

I see no material difference. It is still offensive to a class of people.

I just spent the last hour reading this series of posts...an hour I will never get back. The forum adminstrator said he was gonna kill it...guess that didnt happen, but it should have.

The needless and baseless attacks are childish and denigrating (sp) to the sport.

It's time to move on...............
Stay safe

YO YO science and 169 post.. all because the dog made more sense at a meeting..

Dammmm I sure missed a good one.. pass the Doobie Heron

I want/need onea those shirts Tim!!!

Just stoppin by to let everyone know I am going out and flying a gyroplane tomorrow.....I don't know how to argue. My CFI never taught me that.

YO YO science and 169 post.. all because the dog made more sense at a meeting..

Dammmm I sure missed a good one.. pass the Doobie Heron

I want/need onea those shirts Tim!!!
\

The T-Shirts are here: http://www.zazzle.com/unplug_the_internet_tshirt-235328174440753153

The dog does kick butt!

Mine is still working on his private, fixed wing...

217709f5b4eff293016cbbaac933aaa1.jpg

Attachments

• SideCarAtTheAirportTwo.jpg
    SideCarAtTheAirportTwo.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 0
Jim, only in this fantasy world of the PRA does such a insane notion exist that no one except CFI's should be allowed to give a person a ride in their gyro at a fly-in.

at Bensen Days and Mentone for at least that last 5 years, there has simply been more people wanting a demo flight than there has been instructors and time able to give them. Many people go home without ever getting a demo flight. .

I've been too busy flying too read all this since my last post. When I got just this far, I said, "Wow! This is exactly what I have been bitchin 'bout since Mentone 2006.

Get THIS! I have looked for a ride at these things for four years and the ONLY person that would find time to take me up was Ron, Bensen Days 2010.

No $#*! Sherlock. This discussion thread is probably way past this point by now, but I just wanted to chime in that this is very true. Me, a pilot...I can't even get a dam ride at one of these fly-ins. Have I ever been in a RAF? Sparrow Hawk? Parsons? I got my first Dominator ride in 2010 - after 4 years of asking everyone on the strip for a lift at a price.

Last edited:
These last posts summs all up!
There were problems with gyros, we (yes, we) got fixes tfor them, same thing is happening with our Events, more people (and new) getting involved.
Chuck balled up all CFI´s, maybe it is true, maybe it has more frustration than reality!
It does jab at them, they will jump and I think (no purple haze here) will get the message and if nothing else, this will make them heard up . . .now, interacting will be another feat alltogether . . . .what a bunch! Brave but . . .
It outta be a consensus, every fly-in must have policy and coordinated efforts to acommodate all those that go there for a first or a fix (airfix that is, don´t get paranoid)
This is what the original thank you much thread, turned in to. One complains, other responds, the crowd issue opinions and make suggestions.
Steve has clinged to his frustrated views and keeps coming back biting, menacing, warning of the end of days and all . . . .but where is his educated opinion?
so, out of my ganja fog I dare Steve to lay out a plan to make the situation better, if you can´t, I suggest you to study gardening and find out why sprinklers turn the way they do.
Man, you are one of the most loved persons in our GyroDoom!
All others that are waisting time on our discussion, do research on Nibiru and the possibility of world wide cataclismic events, you may need a plan to survive.
Coming here trying to stop the ongoing discussion is just rude and make our monitors/moderators look bad (lazy arces)
Use your posts better, take sides, suggest, inform, or just let go . . . .suggestions to kill the thread were made and accepted by some, others did not want, should we respect and respond to them or just plain ignore? A little Inquisition like don´t you think?
Carry on
Heron

Uh What ??

Uh What ??

Wings ! you live within an hours drive? You've been attempting to get a flight with me or anyone 4 years? Dang Sir!! Really..I don't remember you,, less your over my weight limit thats why you haven't flown with me I guess..

Frustrated Heron ?... Naw.. just gonna do things the right way or not at all.. Not the way some folks want to do it and go out and get hurt. Atleast I attempt to !

I really don't have a say in any of this,, I just opened my mouth and inserted foot..
Wish I were at Mentone, Just wasn't to be this year, other things came up and thats it..

And thankyou Heron for the gardening tip.. I did put out humming bird feeders and enjoying watching the lil guy's quite a lott. Notice they have a right hand rotation,much like the sprinklers

Oh Yes, Heron,
I haven't seen you at any of the events for a while,, whatsa the matter,,you don't like us no more.??

Yall have a Great Day now Ya hear...Fly and drive safe..

Last edited:
No Steve, our gyro group is what I cherish the most today, I can´t go back to USA, money matters, but It seems I will have to go next year.
You see, my Son Claudio is becoming a citizen and he will marry his actual wife (not spouse) or living companion if you will. His son Thomas will be the Best Man! :D
So far I am deep to my ears in basketball officiating, it is a great moment, history been made down here and I am a good part of it, being the oldest ref in action.
I want you to keep talking and the group will try to pave the road for the mods you see as necessary and doable. You have lots of experience but is not international savy, or have experience in bigger events.
Whatever is going on, I am pretty sure is all about friendships, influence of sub groups, misplaced commts and lack of Net literacy. If it will happen, it is going to be through our best communication tool, this Forum!
I flown last time at Bensen Day 06, way too long of a time for me . . . .have to start fresh, my 7.5 hours as student are all rusty and collecting spider webs . . . .don´t fret, I have papers to fly with you, just not of the green kind! :D
I fell out of the trapeze and theres was no safety net! Ouch!!
Heron

Based on the quality of the thinking (and spelling) in this thread, I believe I will postpone my dream of being a gyro CFI.

Back when I first became interested in Gyrocopters, a $25.00 demo ride in Tracy, CA in a B-8M was all it took to get me started... The gyro community was all we had to keep people from killing themselves by attempting to teach themselves to fly in a Bensen they built in their garage. The expense to the wannabe gyro pilot was mostly the cost of building the thing and getting a few hours with a competent gyro "instructor" operating under the FAA Exemption letter.

Interested people nowadays would probably like to get several hours of instruction from a CFI before considering the cost of buying or building a modern gyro. The investment is just too great to spend lots of money for a thrill that fades soon after the bill arrives for an expensive hobby. Face it, the entry-level for aircraft ownership is still a homebuilt or LSA and they are not cheap!

A body of professional flight instructors governed by an organization like the PRA and organized as a legitimate business would do well to entice newcomers to this fun activity,sport, hobby or whatever you may wish to call it.

As for this forum, perhaps a little less fantasizing or heavy drinking is all that is needed to get back on track...

IKO did you give up on gyros ?

I saw him logged on this morning & I thought I clicked on his name & found this thread. Ugly thread ! This stuff ain't good for nobody.

Now I see he hasn't even been on the forum since 2015. Maybe there is another IKO.

Six-plus years later you think he'll see this?

Paul, he share a Bday with you ! Happy Birthday to the both of you !

That's my friend Eric a minute before I pushed him in......it was cold he said. Here is his luck...every year !

Attachments

• IM000217.jpg
    IM000217.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 0
  • IM000253.jpg
    IM000253.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: