Magni M24 Accident in South Africa

Gents, the best protection is a steel fire wall between the cockpit and engine fuel compartement. This is what helicopters use and is accepted. Then regardless, the wall wont catch fire and may give you the extra time required to get out unscaved.

Are the fuel tanks in Kruza in the same compartment as the engine?
I understand, they are firewall separated from the cabin, but are they also
firewall separated from the engine?

Are the fuel tanks in Kruza in the same compartment as the engine?
I understand, they are firewall separated from the cabin, but are they also
firewall separated from the engine?
The all metal firewall separates the engine and fuel tank from the cabin compartment. Both engine and 120lt Fuel tank is in the same compartment. Fuel tank is on the machines CofG and varies its hang angle very little between full and empty. It is also well protected between the fire wall, engine, undercarriage, mast, and twin 4130 chrome molly booms.

Cheers SamL.........

Attachments

• Magni M24 Accident in South Africa
    a.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 0
    b.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 0
    c.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hi PK
Here are a few pics of earlier model (my G-762) KRUZA, during construction. As you can see its the old pod, and engine mount are to suit an EJ25, but its overall design idea, & all metal firewall (stainless steel on 762) is pretty much the same.

Regards SamL.................

Attachments

B.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 0
    A.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 0
Detostop in a Magni M 24

Detostop in a Magni M 24

Thanks Angelo to introduce my Detostop Video into this discussion.The lost of fuel is only 1 or 2 % of the fuel tank. M 24 got 80 Liter or app. 21 gallon of fuel just behind your seat. Mean, your seat ist the front wall from tank! With a strong impact you will find all the fuel quickly inside the cabine, a small shortcut will fire ist. We just discuss to fill the tank of our M 24 on Majorca Island with Detostop. The good will be the fuel can not splash all over, even in a badly damage it will run out slowly and not splash everwhere. The probem is the fuel sensor, you need the VDO Tubesensor and a new gauge. The M 24 got a good plan area on the behind top side on the fuel tank. Easy to drill a hole and get a base for the new sensor. Problem you will find with your standard used sensor: after filling the tank with Detostop the normaly used float sensor does not work because is stucked between the aluminum balls. This can not happend with the VDO Tube sensor, the floater is protected inside a tube and works perfectly in bad conditions.
All together, Detostop and new fuel gauage cost app. 800 US, but it can save your life. On all Gyro's, not only M 24. We have prooved it and it works, deffently. See you, Andy

Last edited:
Hi Andy,

Detostop appears to be a great product to prevent explosions of fuel tanks. I do not see anyway that Detostop can help after the fuel has escaped from the tank.

I fully understand how it prevents explosions of fuel tanks and can help prevent the tank being crushed during an accident.

Most post accident fires that I have read about are after the gyro has rolled on its side and fuel is spilled from the tank. this could be from a vent, failed fuel cap, fuel line or tank rupture.

Do you have more information ? Can you elaborate on the fire prevention testing ?